View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 05:49 AM

Thanked 4,612 Times in 3,532 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
I understand the art, got my chicken and pork shoulder down. First time doing a brisket, juicy as hell, that was good, just soo salty. Think I realized what I did, used 1 1/4 cups of regular salt, not Kosher salt. I'm dumb
Yeah, A1 will be able to say with more certainty. I use about 1/4 less granulated salt than kosher due to the fine grains packing tighter and ending up with more salt.

Live and learn. I did a raw ham yesterday. Hard to find raw hams. Most are precooked. I glazed it after a couple hours on the smoker at 240 with brown sugar and pineapplejuice reduction. wrapped it after another hour. unwrapped about 6.5 hours in and dropped temp to 225 (i have never done a fresh ham and did not want to dry it.) I glazed it several times and pulled it when the internal temp was 163.

Wrapped and rested 2 hours. It held heat more than a brisket. Was still 140ish after. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and chilled it in the sink with ice water for 20 minutes. (I read that this really locks in the juices if you are not consuming immediately. Never tried before) I carved it up and put the meat in vacuum bags. It has a different texture than cured pre-cooked ham. I am happy with it. I will take a pack to my folks for Christmas dinner.

I saved the bone and some chunks of fat and skin for my new years black eyed peas.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."