World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > General prepper discussion

Shoutbox

Old 05-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Sling shot

I bought a couple of these cause I could see some usefulness in having them. Like everyone else, I used them when I was a kid, and since it was before the days of "be kind to animals" we always used to go out and kill small critters. Birds, squirrels, lizards, snakes. Damn near anything. If I go on a short backpacking excursion, sometimes I bring a couple along mainly for something to play with and target practice.

So, very lightweight, lighter than a gun...effective for killing things for food, and best of all, REUSEABLE ammo (steel bbs) and new ammo such as rocks.

ALSO a very effective self defense item. Sure, youre not likely to bring down a human without a miracle shot to the eyeball. But an effective deterrent? Oh hell yes! You can stop someone in their tracks and more likely than not, get them to run away! Good item for the bugout bag.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 05-12-2018, 07:01 AM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,133 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
I had an old Whamo wooden handled slingshot as a kid. It came with a piece of wire bent to fit into the slots for the flat band elastic and bent in the middle to hold an arrow. Took some time to get to where the arrow went around the target but it could be accurate.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanked 3,577 Times in 2,761 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I have a wrist rocket somewhere. the tube bands are dry rotted. I had fun with it though. It hurts to get hit with one. Even the eye will not kill but if you have a rock pop your eye ball you ain't fighting anymore.

I suppose one could use it for small game like squirrels but they lack accuracy of a bow and arrow but still effective with practive within 20-30 feet for a limb rat.

here is an old thread he had about this.

http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.co...ght=sling+shot

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Cool link. In all my days I have never thought about using them to shoot an arrow. Awesome. Im pretty damn accurate when shooting them. Ive killed squirrels, birds, and more, definitely worth having.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Community Veteran

TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
Back in my youth we made sling shots outta a clothes hanger, a couple of rubber bands and a piece of cloth. We used to split into teams and shoot rocks at each other. I was a damn decent shot, we could pick off cans and bottles from about 30 feet easily.

Use surgical tubing to replace the bands, different resistances for different power.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Thanked 8,396 Times in 5,508 Posts
Willis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond reputeWillis has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn’t a flat resistance band work better than tubing?
Old 05-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Community Veteran

My old Whamo had flat bands. The easy thing about the tubing is the id (inside diameter) slides over the round s/s frame and stretching the elastic causes it to constrict and hold tighter.

For bands you need to come up with a way to attach the bands. My old Whamo was a hardwood frame about an inch thick. Two slots were cut parallel to projectile window to 'S' the band through to retain it. BUT the grooves allowed for the arrow guide attachment.

Maybe this is a product idea, it could be marketed to preppers and hunters. I don't read prepper mags, I don't have much time to read the ones I do get, but are slingshots marketed be anyone? I can't remember the last time I have seen them in a sports dept. or store or online for that matter.

* Anyone can make one, cheap, with a 3D printer

Last edited by TommyD; 05-13-2018 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Brilliant idea added
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyD For This Useful Post:
Willis  (05-13-2018)
Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
My old Whamo had flat bands. The easy thing about the tubing is the id (inside diameter) slides over the round s/s frame and stretching the elastic causes it to constrict and hold tighter.

For bands you need to come up with a way to attach the bands. My old Whamo was a hardwood frame about an inch thick. Two slots were cut parallel to projectile window to 'S' the band through to retain it. BUT the grooves allowed for the arrow guide attachment.

Maybe this is a product idea, it could be marketed to preppers and hunters. I don't read prepper mags, I don't have much time to read the ones I do get, but are slingshots marketed be anyone? I can't remember the last time I have seen them in a sports dept. or store or online for that matter.

* Anyone can make one, cheap, with a 3D printer
I think they went to the tubing because it is more effective and probly lasts longer.

They absolutely still sell these things in the form of wrist rockets. Go to somewhere like Cabelas in the hunting section and youll find 2 or 3 different brands along with a variety of ammo.

You can buy varying thickness of tubing if youre making your own.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Thanked 3,577 Times in 2,761 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
good question tommy, sent me down the rabbit hole and nothing definitive but did find this.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13821-tube-versus-flat/

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 05-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
good question tommy, sent me down the rabbit hole and nothing definitive but did find this.

http://slingshotforum.com/topic/13821-tube-versus-flat/
Damn! That link has some serious info on slingshots..