World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > General prepper discussion

Shoutbox

Old 06-28-2018, 06:36 AM

Thanked 3,574 Times in 2,758 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Let's talk flashlights

I am a flashlight freak. I love em.

I carry one at all times on my keychain. I have a lot of smaller ones but no big 2000 lumen ones. I have both standard aa and aaa battery lights and several cr123 and 18650 rechargeables. As well as 2 AAA energizer headlamps whichy are great for camping and have a red light mode as well.

here are my two go to lights

one Jetbeam 3M pro. it can use multiple kinds of LI batteries and is durable as hell. very well made and worth the $$$. over 1000 lumens and on low power mode the battery can last almost 300 hours! although I never tried it. Way cheaper than fenix or other premium lights and I have a couple and I like this one best.

second is a cheap one that has proven to be very durable and works well

thorfire C8, had this one a couple years. it uses a 18650 battery and has a long lasting moonlight mode that is like 1 lumen and goes all the way up on high power to about 1000. It has a bigger reflector and has great coverage with the light without much scatter like most cheaper lights.

for sure the jetbeam is a better light but for the $$$ the thorfire is nothing to dismiss.

as for my headlamps (anyone who has been camping knows having free hands is a much, holding a flashlight in your mouth for more than a minute sucks.

I just bought the cheap energizer ones from walmart. They work very well for under $15. it has 4 modes and I use them all the time working on the car or bikes in the garage or up in the attic. I am sure there are better ones but I have never needed a stronger light. If I need to see way far away I use my flashlight.

So, I want a bigger light. I remember when a big 4 c cell mag light was the bomb but now you can get 2x the power from a small 3 cr123 torch. any suggestions?

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 06-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Headlamps are a must in any bugout bag. I bought this baseball cap that has 2 hidden bulbs and lights up almost as good as any headlamp. It's one of the besy things I've ever purchased since I usually wear a cap most of the time, it's with me everywhere I go. Bought it at bestbuy for 20 bucks. Totally can't tell it from any other baseball cap.

I gotta check oit your recommendations.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I bought the little clip thing that goes on the bill of your cap. It is pretty good but the headlamp puts out a lot more light. Back in the day before the internet I would use electrical tape to attach a mini mag light to my glasses when I went night bass fishing.

headlamps are WAY good now. I need to get a high end one rather than my cheapo one but dammit they do everything I want them too and have remained very durable through many trips and home projects. I do not know if they are waterproof though.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Lol @ the minimag taped to the hat. Hey, whatever it takes to get the job done.

I remember when the first backpacking headlamps came out about 20 or25 yrs ago. I thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. They have made some decent improvements over the years with higher lumens, focused beams and rechargeable. I love em.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 AM

focused beams can be great but in my experience i prefer a nice wide beam to cover the whole area in front of me. I say this because my brother bought a badass $70 headlamp and was bragging about how far the beam would go and walked under a low mesquite branch and got stitches. My headlamp while only illuminating 10 feet in front of me shines in a big radius and I would have seen the branch. his was shining in a beam forward at a down angle.

Time and place right? An adjustable one would be best. Like I said I carry a flashlight for the distance stuff.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,299 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
At work I have a maglite and another one (can't remember the name). Both are good lamps.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Community Veteran

I agree with all that. I prefer the dispersed beam myself. Years back my wife and I were backpacking a canyon in southern Utah. We got separated and she got lost. I hiked back in at night to search for her. It was spooky as .... cause there's quite a few mountain lions down there... and those ....ers WILL stalk and kill people. I had my headlamp on and my knife out and I really appreciated that wide dispersed beam. Was constantly turning around and looking behind me... Lol.. Every little sound was amplified a thousandfold... Lol. Found her the next day.

Shoulda left her in that damn Canyon! Lol
Old 07-02-2018, 06:44 AM

MG, maglight is a good brand. their new LED torches are very durable.

damn pen, I was doing a survival trip in the San Andreas mountains. They had re-introduced bighorn sheep near where we were. it was said that brought in predators. It was 1 am and pitch black. I went to take a dump 300 yards from camp. I dub a hole at the base of a huge tree, pulled down my britches and began my business. I heard a noise............it was getting closer.............I tried to pinch off but staying de-hydrated and eating only freeze dried foods and bugs left little fiber in my diet for a smooth move.

It was getting closer......I bit down and strained. All I could think of were bears and cougars. It was right upon me. I froze and slid out my knife. I had my headlamp on red light so the other guys could not see where I was and throw rocks at me.

I saw it's furry head come around the tree feet from me. I yelped and stood up.

It was a god damned squirrel! true story.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I have several rechargeable maglites and stingers. Streamlight makes my favorite rechargeable ones, and I even have them set up on quick disconnects as a stabilizer for my bow...hog hunting is legal at night. So we set up over feed and wait. it's a blast.

While hunting in Illinois, we hired a tracker for a deer. This guy is super strange! He stays in the little building with his dogs...and his African Raven. He has taught this raven to help him track downed deer. Insane.
Guy was the craziest flashlight person I've ever met. He is on some flashlight discussion forums (didn't know there were any). He orders tubes, bells, bulbs, power supplies...and builds the ones he needs with the right light spectrum for seeing blood, etc. then he has flood or tight beam stuff for different situations. So if you're into this sort of thing, look into those forums. He was building stuff that blew away my stingers, and some of it was cheaper...and some of it was outrageous.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Community Veteran

Bwaaahaaaahaa! That's a funny story Jipped. We had a deer walk into our camp once at night. All I could see was two eyes looking at us. Scared the bejeezus out of us. WTF with the guys throwing rocks tho? Lol!

Swellin, are you shitting me? A f*ucking raven? Unbelievable! I want one! That's cool as hell!