World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > General prepper discussion

Shoutbox

Old 12-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanked 3,575 Times in 2,759 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Things to carry while traveling during the holidays.

This pertains to taking trips in your vehicle. I carry many of the things on this list but not all. He di not go into firearms so I will. I always have my carry pistol (M&P shield) and 3 full mags and a full size pistol (M&P full size or 1911) with 3 full mags then a box of 100 cartridges. (I should carry my AK pistol as it is small, 3 mags are 90 rounds and is a force multiplier with far better range and accuracy than a pistol but not as good as a full length carbine)

I will "bold" what I have in my travel backpack quantities may differ but are there.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survi...-car-or-truck/

Preparedness Items To Bring When Traveling In Your Car Or Truck 11/30/2015 Ken Jorgustin 66 Comments
vehicle-preparedness-kit

Recently having traveled several hundred miles to visit some friends and family for a number of overnight’s, I thought that I would reflect back upon the preparedness ‘prep’ items that I took along in the truck.

While I did not take ‘the kitchen sink’, I did bring along a few extra things for ‘just in case’.

Firstly, the reason(s) that I keep some preparedness items in the vehicle is because I realize that there are many hypothetical scenarios whereby I might need any one of them. Just like we all carry a spare tire, I also keep ‘preparedness insurance’ items for situations which may disrupt my trip.

Secondly, without ‘overthinking’ what to bring, I simply used a bit of practical common sense and applied a few variables such as the current season (in this instance… late Fall, early Winter), the weather forecast, and the distance of our destination from home.

Thirdly, I always keep my fuel tank closer to FULL than EMPTY. Additionally, when reaching or nearing my destination, I always fill-er-up.

BASIC EMERGENCY KIT
I always carry some sort of 72-hour emergency kit in the vehicle. Once in awhile I go through the kit and adjust what’s inside. I keep the ‘stuff’ in a backpack – which would assist if I had to walk out (or just need it).

You might be wondering, what ‘stuff’ is in my backpack at this particular moment, so let me go out to the truck and get it, and I’ll let you know. Hang on a minute – I’ll be right back…

Okay I’m back (did I mention it’s cold outside?)

roll of TP, in a Ziploc bag
hand towel
– LifeStraw water filter I carry 3-4 bottle of water. Lifestraw would be good
– Camelbak UV water purifier
First Aid Kit (DIY in Ziploc bag)
Mylar Emergency Blanket (2)
– Chainmate pocket chain saw
Bandanna
Paracord (about 20′)
Compass
Whistle
– P51 Shelby Can Opener
Knife Spyderco manix 2, very durable and well made folder
Flashlight Jetbeam is my fav CR123 flaslight with 4 extra batteries
– Fire-starter Kit in Ziploc bag which includes:
—— BIC lighters (2)
—— Waterproof matches
—— Magnesium fire-starter tool
—— Magnifying glass
—— Votive candle
—— Cotton balls smushed with Vaseline (a few)
—— Kindling fire stick (several inches)

Note: Like I said, I am occasionally adjusting this simple car kit – sometimes a bit ‘over-the-top’ and other times a more efficient pack.

FOOD FOR 72 HOURS
I always keep enough food in the truck to supply Mrs.J and I for 72 hours. This may seem like overdoing it, but given that it’s a relatively simple thing – I just do it. You might be wondering what food I have in the truck right now. Alright then – hang on and I will go back out and have another look…

Note: I target 2000 calories per day per person.
Note: I adjust winter food storage vs. summer (freezing temp considerations, shelf life, etc..)

– 3 bricks of DATREX bars, double vacuum packed (3 x 18 bars x 200 calories = 10,800)
– 12 MRE’s with heaters (apprx. 3600 calories)
Ziploc bag full of ‘food bars’ (apprx. 2000 calories)I buy clif builders bars at sams by the box. My son eats them and I do occasionally, they will keep you going
– fork and spoon (for civilized eating 😉 )

SEASONAL CLOTHING
Depending on the season, I bring along a ‘more than adequate’ set of outerwear in case I am forced to deal with the elements of mother nature. On this trip, although the weather was not forecast to be especially wintery or cold, I brought along our winter jackets due to the seasonal possibilities.

Winter Jackets
– Hiking Boots My old light duty boots are done, I almost bought some merrells yesterday but did not. Need to though

OTHER PREP ITEMS – ALWAYS IN THE TRUCK
There are other random items that I always keep in the truck that fall into the category of preparedness. I will list them as follows…

First Aid Kit general kit, iOSAT, pain relievers, QuikClot
– Stainless Steel drinking water bottles (several 80%, filled accommodates freezing expansion)
– During non-winter months, I keep more water on-board
Another Knife (fixed blade, full tang) Hella gaupe is my fav knife
Winter Hats, Winter Gloves
Work gloves
– 2-way radios (GMRS/FRS)
– handheld CB radio
Flashlight (Bigger light is my thorfire, cheap but very well made, I carry 3 extra batteries and it has a twilight mode that will run 20 hours per battery.)
Quality Rain Poncho (3)
– Fleece Blanket (2) (I have beach towels)
– Tarp (a few)I have 3-4 jumbo size heavy duty garbage bags
– Rope
Road Atlas of my state and surrounding states
– National Road Atlas
– ‘the Next Exit’ (excellent traveling resource)
– Pen, Pencil, and Paper (small notepad)
– GPS
Phone charger

When traveling, I always carry extra cash than I normally would.

Okay, that was the quick run-down.
I’m sure if I dug around inside the truck some more – I would find more items to add to this list, but it’s cold outside and I don’t feel like going back outside 😉

Hopefully this article will inspire some of you to have a look at what YOU keep in your vehicle for preparedness, and the next time you go on a trip – to think about bringing along a few extra items for ‘just in case’.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Swellin (12-17-2018), tutela (12-21-2018)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 PM
Big B Big B Is Off Line
BANNED

Location: with dogs, goats, donkeys, chickens and a miniature pig...
Thanked 2,736 Times in 2,398 Posts
Big B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond repute
Well detailed list. Thought you missed a few things but found them when I looked back. It was like I was packing myself bf heading out. Good stuff!
Old 12-16-2018, 02:40 AM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
VERY nice jipped. Something to add might be some pocket handwarmers for wintertime. They're small and can put out some decent heat in extreme cold. Could keep you from getting frostbite in hands or toes and can also throw in a sleeping bag or space blanket. Sometimes you've gotta kickstart the body into generating heat. The rest is great. I'd carry more water than food in case you can't find a water source. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:22 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,430 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
lol, more stuff on that list than in my whole house
Old 12-16-2018, 09:44 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen Sillman View Post
VERY nice jipped. Something to add might be some pocket handwarmers for wintertime.
You are 100% right. I have a bunch of the disposable ones and two of the reusable ones that you snap the metal thing and they get hot and boil them to reset after done.

I need to throw some in the bag.

I was thinking last night another thing that takes no room and is light would be some 7 mil nitrile gloves. get a size larger than you need and you can put them over work gloves to keep them dry. they are not super fragile either. I wear them while working on my bikes to keep the grease off my hands.

Also put them over my moto gloves when it is raining and I ride. 100% dry and cut the wind.

My wife thinks I am a dummy for taking the time to do all thing but I do it anyway. Never know. Also I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

A road flare would not be a bad addition, they can be cut open and the powder used to start a fire on wet stuff when your tinder like cotton balls or lint fail.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Road flares are awesome. You could get a bonfire out of soggy diapers if you had to simply by using a road flare. I always carry a few!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:43 AM

I do not pen, I do have a little keychain kit with a compass, ferro rod, can opener and a mini knife, and other little prepper gadgets all on 1 ring.

I keep that in my glove compartment.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM
Community Veteran

One of those would make a great xmas gift! Lol. I give survival gifts for christmas all the time...
Old 12-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Community Veteran

Hey jipped, you mentioned reusable heat packs... I don't think I've ever seen one of those. Do you have a link to one?
Old 12-19-2018, 06:51 AM

This is not the brand I have. But same thing. I put mine in a sock. It makes them last longer after snapping. It is cool to watch the reaction in the plastic which is clearish.

many other options as well. electric and lighter fluid fuel. I do not have a zippo one. they probably last the longest but if you are in a car or such might smell no matter what they say. Mine do not last very long. maybe 45 minues in the sock but in a badass situation they would make a big diff increasing core temp and are pretty durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Go-Reusab...=reusable+heat

https://www.amazon.com/ASTUBIA-Recha...+heaters&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Zippo-40285-B...ds=hand+warmer