World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

Shoutbox

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 3,963 Times in 3,139 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Going out on a bass boat today. Will be windy as hell, had a major storm Wednesday night and post front. Basically very unfavorable conditions.

Beggars cannot be choosers. I will fish a spinner bait mostly as i can cast and reel. i prefer pitching plastics but I have zero luck when it is windy.
I would guess that 95% of my tackle box is plastics or terminal tackle for plastics. When it is windy I use a Texas Rig starting with 1/16 oz bullet weights and move up to 1/8 oz. If the wind is too high for an 1/8 oz then I go home. In over 30 years of bass fishing I have probably caught less than 10 fish total on crankbaits and spinners.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Thanked 3,634 Times in 2,811 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
I would guess that 95% of my tackle box is plastics or terminal tackle for plastics. When it is windy I use a Texas Rig starting with 1/16 oz bullet weights and move up to 1/8 oz. If the wind is too high for an 1/8 oz then I go home. In over 30 years of bass fishing I have probably caught less than 10 fish total on crankbaits and spinners.
WOW, cranks are becoming part of my arsenal slowly but surely. A good square bill in 4-6' of water with rock on the bottom is awesome. I throw a spinnerbait but only because I see pros kill with them. I do not.

I fished from noon to 8:30 yesterday with a buddy on his boat. I caught a crappie on a full size spinner bait. Hey at least i did not get skunked. My buddy caught one small bass. Hard fishing yesterday. Wind was gusting at 35mph. I had to use a 3/8oz weight to keep it on the bottom. I prefer lighter weights for a slower presentation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190419_184643.jpg (63.5 KB, 2 views)

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Well I finally was able to get out on Saturday and I even threw the crankbait! I caught about 15 bass, one measuring 22 inches and probably weighed in a little over 5 pounds. I caught a few on bush hogs then my buddy started catching on a chartreuse crank bait. I figured why not? I was hooked. I finished off the day with the big one. When the bass bite died down in the middle of the day I switched to crappie and caught 5 off a Bobby Gardland live minnow jig. Caught about 10 sun fish too.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:11 PM
Community Veteran

blm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, that's a good day on the water.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Damn, that's a good day on the water.
You ain't kiddin. It is rare I have days like that. 15 bass days. Maybe once every 2 years. I do not count tiny bass. I can go out in the fall and catch a bunch of 10-12 inchers. But good bass.

Nice you could get the crappie too. And sunfish. they must have been big to hit a crappie jig.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
You ain't kiddin. It is rare I have days like that. 15 bass days. Maybe once every 2 years. I do not count tiny bass. I can go out in the fall and catch a bunch of 10-12 inchers. But good bass.

Nice you could get the crappie too. And sunfish. they must have been big to hit a crappie jig.
Dang. If you were up here I would take you on a 13 mile float down the Gasconade River. Most of the area I fish is untouchable without a kayak, people cannot get to the good spots from the bank and even jet drive boats would have to get out and drag through gravel. A slow day is 40-50 fish. As soon as the rivers come down in a couple weeks I will start floating the rivers again.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Dang. If you were up here I would take you on a 13 mile float down the Gasconade River. Most of the area I fish is untouchable without a kayak, people cannot get to the good spots from the bank and even jet drive boats would have to get out and drag through gravel. A slow day is 40-50 fish. As soon as the rivers come down in a couple weeks I will start floating the rivers again.
Sounds like heaven to me. I have never fished our river. right now it is running at a high rate due to all the rains. I will float it come summer when it all slows down. We do have something most places have but not as big. Gar, giant fricken gar. 100#ers are very common on the trinity river.

I want to catch a beast like that. I also would like to fish for bass but our river is narrow and flows pretty good most of the time and is filled with snags and fallen trees from undercut banks. The banks in most spots are 30' tall and it is like a canyon of dirt and roots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trinity-river-gar.jpg (35.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM

The world record Alligator Gar came from the Trinity River. I only caught smaller ones when I was in Louisiana, probably the biggest one was 3 feet.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
The world record Alligator Gar came from the Trinity River. I only caught smaller ones when I was in Louisiana, probably the biggest one was 3 feet.
Yeah there are tons of long nose and spotted gar, when you get an gator gar you know it. I have caught a couple on top waters. My buddy was dragging a soft plastic through some snags and got a bite. He set the hook and thought he was hung up. the line just moved out of the snag and along the creek channel. damn gar must have been 5 feet long and 70#! Big around as a dinner plate.

I do not think it knew it was hooked. My buddy pulled and it swam a little faster. My pal thumbed the spool and his line broke. 17# mono.

Strong fish.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:27 AM

We used to put market frozen shrimp under a cork about 18 inches to catch them. Always had to let them chew on it for about 30 seconds before setting the hook.