World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Firearms and other weapons

Old 03-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,016 Times in 3,178 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Reloaders

Where are you at and what are you reloading? If you have the magic formula, please share with others.

Currently I am reloading 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 BO and 9mm. My .300 BO and 9mm formulas I am still playing with. I am trying to figure out the optimal .300 BO 180-200 grain sub-sonic for medium sized game up to 50 yards. I have so many different platforms of 9mm I make a lot of different rounds. I have found the perfect formula for 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action in a 24 inch barrel.

Hornaday 6.5mm (.264) 143 gr ELD-X bullet
BR-2 CCI Primer
Hornady or Winchester Brass
33.5 grain of IMR 4166

I have not shot this past 400 yards, but it is the tightest grouping I have observed up to that point. I also have not chronographed the speed, but I estimate it to be a hair about 2600 fps based off the round data.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Swellin Swellin Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I have quite a bit of handloading gear, still in the boxes. They have been there for a few years. I also have a ballistics expert in PA that handloads for me. I met him when I was searching for some oddball ammo. He had some and I bought it. then he told me what all he loaded for. I shot some of his stuff and it was jam up. Now he loads for a few of my rifles.

.350 Rem mag -Speer 220gr flat Nose
.338 Lapua- Berger 300gr vld
.300 WSM -SMK 168gr
.308 Norma Magnum- SGK 180gr
7m STW-SMK 150gr
.270 WSM-SMK 150gr
6mm-Barnes 80gr TTSX
.221 Fireball-SMK 60gr
Old 03-27-2019, 07:56 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swellin View Post
I have quite a bit of handloading gear, still in the boxes. They have been there for a few years. I also have a ballistics expert in PA that handloads for me. I met him when I was searching for some oddball ammo. He had some and I bought it. then he told me what all he loaded for. I shot some of his stuff and it was jam up. Now he loads for a few of my rifles.

.350 Rem mag -Speer 220gr flat Nose
.338 Lapua- Berger 300gr vld
.300 WSM -SMK 168gr
.308 Norma Magnum- SGK 180gr
7m STW-SMK 150gr
.270 WSM-SMK 150gr
6mm-Barnes 80gr TTSX
.221 Fireball-SMK 60gr
Nice! I am a niche caliber guy, so I know what you mean by oddball ammo. That is really why I started reloading to begin with. Oddball ammo is generally expensive and hard to come by.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to move more toward standard stuff. I've read and heard a pretty strong argument for having weapons that you can feed from every hardware store in the US. I'm also moving more away from a "collector," to a defensive use owner. I'm not getting rid of anything...I tried, and can't bring myself to do it. but I will not buy anything that doesn't have a specific defensive use, that improves upon something else I already have. Time to pour the money into training instead of collecting.

Which also means I need a couple of dillon automatic machines for .223 and 9mm.

Oh yeah, the argument I was talking about said you should own several of the following:
30-30
30-06
.300 Win mag

9mm
.45 acp
That way you could always find ammo for some of it.

Last edited by Swellin; 03-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swellin View Post
Believe it or not, I'm actually trying to move more toward standard stuff. I've read and heard a pretty strong argument for having weapons that you can feed from every hardware store in the US. I'm also moving more away from a "collector," to a defensive use owner. I'm not getting rid of anything...I tried, and can't bring myself to do it. but I will not buy anything that doesn't have a specific defensive use, that improves upon something else I already have. Time to pour the money into training instead of collecting.

Which also means I need a couple of dillon automatic machines for .223 and 9mm.

Oh yeah, the argument I was talking about said you should own several of the following:
30-30
30-06
.300 Win mag

9mm
.45 acp
That way you could always find ammo for some of it.
I hear you. I already have several .22, 5.56, .308, .30-06, 9mm and .45 acp, which is what got me into buying niche weapons. My wife and I have an agreement that I can buy four weapons a year no questions asked. Last year I think I bought two .300 blackouts, .450 bushmaster and a can for one of my blackouts. I was going to buy a 10mm, but my buddy gave one to me for my retirement. I think this year it will be a .357 Chiappa Rhino DS60, 1894G .45-70, 9mm AR pistol and I am keeping my options open for the last one.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 AM

Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,854 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Always wanted to do it but just cannot get past the initial cost of equipment. I buy reloads from freedom munitions. So far I have had as good a luck as with factory ammo.

GF, I want to shot a chiappa revolver. Low barrel axis probably makes shooting comfy and much less barrel flip.

.357 is not super rowdy with a longer barrel. I have a 7" .357 mag and it shoot pretty soft but it weighs a LOT!

I like the .44 mag chiappa carbine.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 03-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
I hear you. I already have several .22, 5.56, .308, .30-06, 9mm and .45 acp, which is what got me into buying niche weapons. My wife and I have an agreement that I can buy four weapons a year no questions asked. Last year I think I bought two .300 blackouts, .450 bushmaster and a can for one of my blackouts. I was going to buy a 10mm, but my buddy gave one to me for my retirement. I think this year it will be a .357 Chiappa Rhino DS60, 1894G .45-70, 9mm AR pistol and I am keeping my options open for the last one.
Just this morning, I had about 8 tabs open...looking at lever guns. I've been reading about the how many roles that little rifle can fill, and I'm looking at them again. I hated em when i was a kid, shooting a 30-30, and everyone else had a .243. But I'm thinking I need three lever guns: A tactical setup in 44 mag shortened, with the Mlok handguard, aimpoint ; a 30-30 with the same treatment; an 1895 guide gun with similar kit. I've wanted a450 marlin ever since it first came out, but there I go...right back into niche shit with no ammo in town. the venerable 45-70 would be perfect.

As for the 300bo, I have one with a thermal and a can. I recently watched a video where someone loaded a 300bo round into a mag that went into a full auto 223. Catastrophic deconstruction of a firearm at face level. No thanks. It has me thinking about only having .223 ARs, unless they require different mags. Currently, I only run windowed pmags with my BO. So I know that if it doesn't have a window, it is 5.56. I also have a fun little 5.7*28 upper. but it does it's best work at killing tin cans. It's not so special on living targets. But run it on an sbr (it's a 10" upper)with a can, and it really is a blast. Too bad it's only good for game the size of your big toe.

I have a couple 10mms, and they are awesome, until you look for ammo locally. So I usually buy bulk at the gun shows. I have a glock 20, 40mos, and a kimber. But they all sit in the safe unless I take one hunting. I carry 9mm daily, so that's what gets shot.

It's so freaking hard to make the turn from collector to just guns with a purpose, that get shot regularly.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:23 AM

Jipped the only bad thing I have heard with the Chiappa Rhino is if you have large hands. Firing from the bottom cylinder places your hands closer to the chamber. Some have complained about powder burn.

Swellin I worry about mixing the magazines as well. I use P-mags for my 5.56 and Hex mags for my blackout. I can tell the difference in the dark without even thinking about it. However, I wonder if the rest of my family notices the difference? We always discuss and practice what should happen in the instance someone breaks into the house. That is something I have not brought up with them. Thanks brother, I will cover this with them.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Thanked 3,694 Times in 2,854 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Huh, makes sense, never thought about that.

Looks like firing a 300 through a 556 is bad mkay. I guess the only reason the .300 will seat is because it is shorter? Far bigger prob than accidentally firing 5.56 out of a .223. That is easy to solve, just have all your stuff in 5.56.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."