World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Articles By Author > Iron Addicts Articles

Shoutbox

Iron Addicts Articles A collection of great bodybuilding articles written by the man himself.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
iron addict iron addict Is Off Line
Veteran

iron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to alliron addict is a name known to all
Aspirin & other Pain Killersí Effects on Muscle Growth

Aspirin & other Pain Killersí Effects on Muscle Growth
November 1st, 2007 by Paul Johnson

A few years ago, research started coming out about the effects of common OTC painkillers effects on muscle growth. If you are new to bodybuilding in recent years, you may have missed the big news when it first came out. Many bodybuilders take them to relieve muscle soreness (DOMS) from weight training or some other ailment and donít know about this side effect. This is also important to know because many fat burning supplements, such as hydroxycut hardcore, put willow bark ( natural form of aspirin ) in it. Acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) and the class of drugs called ( NSAIDS ), which includes the OTC painkillers, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen ( Alleve ), all have an effect on protein synthesis.

Studies on painkiller effects on protein synthesis:

One of the first studies to come out was published in
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Oct;86(10):5067-70. It was done on 24 males to either receive ibuprofen, acetaminophen or a control after resistance excercise workout (10 - 14 sets). It showed that acetaminophen and ibuprofen had an impact on prostoglandins (in equal degree). Researchers concluded this impact on prostoglandins could have a big impact on muscle growth.

One year later, these same researchers published (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Mar;282(3):E551-6.) measuring protein synthesis after resistance workout. The study was done on 24 males who either took acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or control. Results showed that the placebo group had 75% higher protein synthesis at the skeletal muscle than the ibuprofen or acetaminophen group. These painkillers didnít effect overall body breakdown, but did effect protein synthesis at the muscle.

Aspirin also has a effect on decreasing protein synthesis. (source: J Biol Chem. 2007 Apr;282(14):10164-71. Epub 2007 Feb 6.)

Most of the older studies discuss protein synthesis, but a more
recent study published in (Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5):840-6.) compared overloading a rat muscle with or without ibuprofen on actual muscle growth. Results showed reduced muscle hypertrophy (muscle growth) by 50% in rats from ibuprofen with overload vs. overload only.

As you can see these were not minor changes in protein synthesis. Even occasional use will have a significant impact on muscle growth.
G3Cube (07-11-2010), pound4lb (06-30-2010), Purplehaze (07-10-2010)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
tilltheend

Good Info Brother!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 PM

Thanked 2,667 Times in 2,302 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
I remember reading that anti-inflammatories could interfere with muscle growth.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
team631 team631 Is Off Line
Donating Member

team631 is a glorious beacon of lightteam631 is a glorious beacon of lightteam631 is a glorious beacon of lightteam631 is a glorious beacon of lightteam631 is a glorious beacon of lightteam631 is a glorious beacon of light
I was actually told to eat aspirin that it was an old bb trick anywho
Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Thanked 3,429 Times in 2,489 Posts
Friggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond repute
Good info IA
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Protestor

GBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond reputeGBAGH has a reputation beyond repute
Is there something that you would suggest to help alleviate pain. I was popping 800-1000mg of ibuprofen all week for my shoulder. It was necessary as my shoulder was having a rough week LOL. I don't make a habit of it, but if there is something else that would work comparably when I need to get rid of some pain to get my ass in the gym that wouldn't negatively effect my muscles I would certainly make the switch.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM
NickD NickD Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

NickD is on a distinguished road
^^mary jane? Then you're looking at test decreases, though. How much, I have no idea. Dunno which is the lesser of evils!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Iwant2Grow Iwant2Grow Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

Iwant2Grow is on a distinguished road
Great Info
Old 07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Purplehaze Purplehaze Is Off Line
Neighborhood Lepr

Purplehaze is on a distinguished road
Thanks for post.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 PM
forsberg21 forsberg21 Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

forsberg21 has a spectacular aura aboutforsberg21 has a spectacular aura aboutforsberg21 has a spectacular aura about
From a personal view on this. When I was taking Vikes for 1-2yrs I think I looked and felt the best ever. In my eyes it surely didn't hinder anything. Now that I don't take them my rest days are a little longer and my pain sometimes is unbearable.

Per Doctor - I have to take aspirin every day for the rest of my life to thin my blood. So I am never going to stop taking that.