World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Diet and Health

Shoutbox

Diet and Health Weight loss support forum for all diets. Fitness discussion forum for weight loss, discuss weight and food issues unique to the dietng

Old 01-20-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanked 4,217 Times in 2,831 Posts
~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute
Think your not gonna get apnea? Read on...

Shortly before lights-out, a 20-something sleep technician named Dara rigs me up with a bewilderment of wires and sensors: half a dozen electrodes on my crew-cut cranium; air-pressure gauges beside my nostrils and mouth; heart and lung monitors across my chest; and motion detectors by my eyelids and jaw and on my legs. For the remainder of the night, my every brain wave, breath, heartbeat, eye flicker, tooth grind, and leg jerk will be recorded for analysis.

The purpose of all this high-tech surveillance equipment? To catch a thief: a Freddy Krueger-type bogeyman stealing my breath and libido, my vitality and brainpower—and potentially, perhaps even my life itself.

Physicians call the culprit "obstructive sleep apnea," a syndrome characterized by the repeated collapse of a person's airway during sleep. Breathing becomes extremely labored and can stop altogether for as long as a minute. As oxygen levels drop, adrenaline and blood pressure surge. Eventually the deepening desperation for air provokes a momentary awakening—what sleep doctors term a micro-arousal. This lasts just long enough for the apnea victim to suck in a lungful of air and resaturate the bloodstream with oxygen, and then to immediately slip back into shallow, nonrestorative sleep. With sleep, of course, inevitably comes the next round of airway relaxation, collapse, and suffocation.....

Read entire article.

Sleep Apnea | Men's Health
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~R~F~G~ For This Useful Post:
G3Cube (03-01-2011), skwood (08-02-2013), small-guy (08-03-2013)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 01-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Not

Im having trouble with EDS (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness) so i will be having a polysomnograph in feb, my moneys not on apnea but narcolepsy
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Thanked 4,217 Times in 2,831 Posts
~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute~R~F~G~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNiCC View Post
Im having trouble with EDS (Excessive Daytime Sleepiness) so i will be having a polysomnograph in feb, my moneys not on apnea but narcolepsy
That sucks. Apnea is treatable. Is narcolepsy?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
captainbicept captainbicept Is Off Line
Donating Member

captainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond repute
One of my close friends from high school died last week from sleep apnea.
Yes, he was over weight. However, at 28 no body expects to die in their sleep.

If you are not ready to give it all; give up.

I'll never do steroids to get stronger. I only do them for the roid rage.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
SapperNurse SapperNurse Is Off Line
Donating Member

SapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant futureSapperNurse has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbicept View Post
One of my close friends from high school died last week from sleep apnea.
Yes, he was over weight. However, at 28 no body expects to die in their sleep.
Holy hell.....died of sleep apnea at 28? Man, you just motivated me to start wearing my CPAP more often.

I was diagnosed last spring after my wife voiced concerns about my snoring... They have me on 14cm of water (pressure) for treatment. My doc at the time said that was the highest treatment pressure he had seen for sleep apnea.....

I hate the thing, especially as a mouth breather when I sleep... When I go back to KS, I am getting a mouth/nose mask to fix that....Hopefully that will make me more compliant....

www.teamrubiconusa.org
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Donating Member

captainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond reputecaptainbicept has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperNurse View Post
Holy hell.....died of sleep apnea at 28? Man, you just motivated me to start wearing my CPAP more often.

I was diagnosed last spring after my wife voiced concerns about my snoring... They have me on 14cm of water (pressure) for treatment. My doc at the time said that was the highest treatment pressure he had seen for sleep apnea.....

I hate the thing, especially as a mouth breather when I sleep... When I go back to KS, I am getting a mouth/nose mask to fix that....Hopefully that will make me more compliant....
Yes. He went to bed one night and never woke up.
It happened about 10 days ago. In highschool he was one of my closest friends.
The kid did do a good amount of drugs way back when, and still did some.
The least I can say is that atleast he did not die from some cliche like suicide or a drug over dose like most people my age. He just went to bed, and because of the sleep apnea, stopped breathing and never started again.
I was in shock, disbelief and obviously hurting.
Please do whatever you can to fix the apnea.
My father has it. I have been persistantly angry at him since the wake, since he is fat, takes BP medication and does not do a thing about it.
He uses the mask as well, however, that is of no comfort to me.
Again, sapper, please work on getting it fixed.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Donating Member

I want this on top.
I want everyone to learn from my good friend's experience.
He had a one year old girl, who will now grow up never having known her father.
Please everyone, go to every sleep diagnostic center, and alternative medicine place you can find.
I care about everyone here.
My selfish side does not want to lose anyone else I care about due to conditions such as these that can be corrected.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Donating Member

I am making this a sticky.
I want everyone to read and learn from this.
I do not want it to be forgotten.
It is not worth dying from something as simple as apnea.
I do not want to have to pray that anyone extra is in a better place.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 PM
G3Cube G3Cube Is Off Line
Empty Headed Animal Food Trough Wiper

G3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really nice
Excellent article, RBG. My girlfriend tells me my snoring can be quite loud, and i sometimes wake up gasping for air. After reading this article I am very motivated to do something about it. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Thunder Thunder Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond reputeThunder has a reputation beyond repute
I've had one for aprox 5 yrs now. I have a "nose pillow" & it works alot better for me then a mask.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'