World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

Shoutbox

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,314 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
sumatai the prowler is a badass yak. mine is aged and beat to hell. they ocean kayak quit making them 8-10 years ago. I would like a new one but i stick with this one.

I love the seat on that one. Adjustable and the yak is super stable. Mine I can stand but it is sketchy. I do not think i could fish while standing. having the elevated seat would really up my fishing even if only be 5 inches. I pitch a lot for bass and I just cannot get it when sitting 1" above the water line.

RFG. do not buy new. Check craigs list. I see $1500-2000 fully rigged yaks for $500 from time to time. winter you can really find some deals.

I want a hobie with the drive system. lots of time I have to paddle 1/2 mile with a headwind. i am beat when I get there. If i had a drive i could use my legs and fish the way out. WAY more efficient.

Thought about a trolling motor and battery too. I could get a small dry cell and a minimal thrust motor and if I can get 20 minutes of power before the battery is dead it would open LOTS of places to me.

I am hoping I will get a slack wind day. I have my big heavy rig i am going to take. I put a 6oz weight on it and try to cast but i cannot get it past the surf. I would love to paddle a 10" mullet with 2 hooks in it out way past the breakers and catch a shark!

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 08-31-2018, 10:26 AM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
Definitely on the wind, killer, I really scope out the conditions here before I head out, just makes for a miserable day if you catch it wrong.

Dying for pedals, I leash most of my stuff but sometimes I get lazy and don't, I KNOW one of these days i'm going to lose a paddle or a rod. Plus being able to move without having to switch out my paddle for my reel would be an amazing luxury.

I like my Prowler, but if I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Yak that was compatible with the drive systems so I could add it later since the whole package deal is typically around 2500 from what I've seen... would have added it by now but the Prowler isn't compatible.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:13 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I just want a yak with a comfy seat. mine I spend 3 hours in the seat I get 3 days of discomfort in my back. Got a new butt pad. the bay is shallow. I plan on getting out and wading where I can too.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Donating Member

Thanked 3,537 Times in 2,788 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Thanks guys! Hey that is my kayak in that link you showed GF. A different year as they put the hand holds on the outside on that one because mine has them in the seat well and IT SUCKS! so they changed it.

I have my wee 3' cast net (That is radius size right? it is 6' from side to side) and a 6' which I cannot cast unless I am up above the water.

I can get a bunch of pogies (which do not hook well live) and finger mullet which is my fav. I will have 3 rode with me. 2 for artificials and one with a popping cork for live or fresh dead bait.

i reckon i will use a paddle tail with an 1/8th oz jig head and a topwater like a spook jr or chugbug. I have a mirror lure topdog too. I heard bone is the color to go with.

We shall see how it pans out. If I wait until late october the fishing will improve dramatically. But I am not. A buddy told me a place where there is a brick retaining wall submerged at high tide that gets big sheepshead all over it when the water is up. He told me how to take a soda bottle and bury it and the next day it will have a bunch of little crabs in it. He said free line those up near the wall and I could catch a bunch of delicious sheepshead. Sounds good to me!

So exited!
I know they are expensive as hell, but I would also grab a Top Dog Jr and She Dog. The rattles are different and emit a different frequency when they collide. Where one might not entice fish the other will drive them crazy.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
I know they are expensive as hell, but I would also grab a Top Dog Jr and She Dog. The rattles are different and emit a different frequency when they collide. Where one might not entice fish the other will drive them crazy.
got a top dog. Also a few chug bugs which are said to work well. I love top water SO MUCH!. I caught some wee trout on my top dog I wish I had a diff color. I have chrome with a blue back. My fav for bass but I hear bone or chartreuse and gold are better especially when the water is not clear and it is overcast the chart and gold shine.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Donating Member

Thanked 3,537 Times in 2,788 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
I was always successful with bone with red head and silver with a dark green back.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
I was always successful with bone with red head and silver with a dark green back.
We shall see. Looks like high chance of rain all week. but clouds and cooler temps might just have the fish stirred up and shallow. I have no clue.

All my rods are ready. I have 15-17# P-line XXX strength on my bait casters. It is equivalent to 20# line and super tough and abrasion resistant. I have 30# power pro braid on my top water rod (My fav setup) Falcon low rider custom (topwater special) Shimano curado 100 series. It is light but strong and I can make even a 1/4 oz top water dance like a stripper on meth.

I am bringing my surf rods too. I have one spooled with 30# berkley big game and the other with 35# dacron braid. (2 rods, 9' and 12') Never used it but it has good reviews.

Also bringing a couple extra reels and some spools of line. I have one spooled with 12# mono in case I fish from the jetty and need some extra distance out of a cast for trout.

Have all my tackle laid out will pack it today.

I know I would probably do best with live shrimp but i am going to use artificials and if I get some finger mullet or pogies I will use them live

Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Back home last night. Drove down monday. Got to the place I was renting. The wife DECIDED she wanted to go. I told her I was going fishing, drinking and smoking cigars and not to be upset if i did not spend time with her. She said she wanted to sit on the beach and read a book and do crossword puzzles.

I said cool.

Got the yak strapped on top and took off. Made good time arrived about 5pm. It was cloudy drizzling and still. They surf was very small and I was exited thinking the surf fishing would be hot as it was not all stirred up. I got out of the suv and was COVERED in mosquitoes. Not like 1 or 2 buzzing around. I could hear them in the air. like thousands descending on me like a plague. My wife got out and started yelling.

I could not help her. She was on her own. I grabbed the thermacell and the deep woods off. I sprayed myself and my wife. It made no difference. I got her into the house (Up on stilts maybe 10-12 feet. Due to the calmness the skeeters were up there too.

I grabbed my bag and put on my long pants and long sleeve shirt. Doused with deet and waited for the thermacell to warm up. I killed my time swatting the 100 mosquitoes that got in the house just opening the door. they were covering the outside of the house, turned it almost great from tan there were so many. The walls inside were white so they were easy to see when they stopped.

Went downstairs and it was 10X worse than up on the deck.

They were on me. Biting through my shirt and pants. all over my hands and face. I just said .... it and unloaded the car (which was filled with mosquitoes) Therma cell did nothing.

Saw some gulls working 50 yards offshore and figured the skeeters would be absent on the beach. grabbed my gear and went. they were on the beach too. I waded out waist deep into the gulf of Mexico and was still getting swarmed. they were getting between my glasses and my eyes. I heard my wife and she was coming down with a cooler, book and her chair. she dropped it all and was flailing wildly.

I ran up to take some of the stuff. A guy ran by yelling "save yourself" waving his arms crazily as he ran. there was another fisherman wearing a net over his head, long pants and sleeves and gloves. I got my wife back to the house and ran back down. I looked at my chest and there were 100 mosquitoes on me. I spoke with him while swatting furiously.

He said he lived in Lake Jackson (real close by) and has never seen it like this. Some of the worst mosquitoes he has ever seen. and he grew up there. He said the fish were not biting at all.Went back and made a sandwich and drank 4 beers watched a DVD of saving private ryan until 10pm and went to sleep.

I took my yak out at 6am the next morn. I wore my rain gear to keep the skeeters off and turned on the therma cell attatched it to my belt with a fresh pad. even though it was warm and i was sweating i thought it would keep em off. I wrapped a towel around my face, neck and hat.

I unloaded and set out from the kayak launch and was covered, I wore my sneakers rather than my water shoes as they bit through them. I decided to paddle 1/2 mile out into the open bay to the oyster reefs. I figures i would get relief from the skeeters. NOPE! They were inside my damn rain gear up the pant legs and from under the bottom of my jacket i guess. My eyelids are almost swollen closed from the bites. They landed all over my kayak. When I swatted 100s would take off and land again.

Oh I fished anyway. I anchored and then I covered my eyes with the towel, tried to close up the legs of my pants and fished for an hour and 20 minutes ish. Threw top waters, DOA swimbaits, gulp shrimp, fishbites on a popping cork. Saw fish in the water it was pretty clear. School of trout sat under my yak for 20 minutes. A school of minnows moved through and the trout never moved.

I paddled back. I saw some reds real shallow but not tailing. some guys were wading and casting at them. I slowed and cast at them too. NOTHING.

Loaded up and went back. I walked upstairs and my wife was crying. she tried to walk to the beach. She thought if she kept walking they would not get her. Her face looked like she had been shot with a shotgun. 20-30 little spots of blood where she smacked the mosquitoes that were feeding on her. Her eyes were swollen too.

I loaded up. (Had to take the yak back off to open the back door on the SUV. The little wing thingy hit if we tried to open it. Nightmare mosquitoes. During this process of unloading the yak. loading our belongings and reloading the yak. Started raining hard. Which was OK as it cut down on the mosquitoes by 20%. I was soaked when I got in to leave.

we drove to Galveston ate lunch ate a nice diner the locals go to (sunflower bakery and cafe) and we came home. I looked in the back to see if I had gotten my gopro. It was there and I spied my cooler. I had a few beers on the way home. Illegal yeah but my wife does not drink at all and she was driving. Our son helped us unload and i found my $200 dobyns spinning rod was broken just below the second from the top guide.

$300 rental. $120 gas. $200 rod. $120 wife bought a little canopy and new bathing suits.........All for nothing.

THAT SUCKED!

I am off today. I am going to finish pulling the floor from my son's room (water damage) and maybe, just maybe get out and go fishing at the lake.

I deserve a break guys. seriously. I itch from head to toe. I broke my fav spinning rod. My wife wants to replace the whole house's floor for $14K because our son's room was damaged.

That is my story of woe. I swear i am no pussy, i am an avid fisherman and love hiking, camping and such but this was intolerable. Maybe if I caught fish I would have stayed but the locals said nothing was biting the last week. (I bet they started up the moment we left)

No wonder the skeeters were so bad. Everything was flooded from the rain for the last 2 weeks. The one pic is us coming over the bridge. Almost no surf. Mosquito forecast.......EXTREME!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180911_084017.jpg (59.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20180910_162439.jpg (52.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg surfside.jpg (33.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 09-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
Been there with the bugs, I don't get a warning here, I'm usually the one posting the warnings. Last time they hit that hard I had the luxury of setting my poles in my surf spikes and hiding in the water up to my neck watching loose set drags. Bastards still found me and bit my face. Have only had one day like that. these biting fly pricks are almost as bad. they bite and hurt, and then itch later... and once the bite festers, it leaves this weird scar divet in my leg. Freaks me out, almost like its some lesser version of the flesh eating shit they can spread.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,380 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
Well, as usual, you have the greatest way of telling a story.

Shoulda shacked up with the mrs in bed for the week....