World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

Shoutbox

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:57 PM

Thanked 3,019 Times in 2,314 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Out on the yak tonight

I was looking for largemouth but ran into a bunch of small sand bass and hybrids. all were 6-9" but I was using light tackle and had a blast. better to catch 30 little guys than none at all.

First time out on the yak in a long while. I am out of shape. 200 yards against a 8-9 mph wind used to be nothing for me, I was a paddling machine. Not anymore, I have the cardio for sure but the muscles felt it. I will try to get 2-3 more times before I go to the gulf.

Come fall the big ones will be back in the coves out of the wind where I can get em. Then I can have a nice fish fry with a limit of sand bass.

Just thought I would share as I feel great and had a blast. It is nice just to be out on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180902_193457.jpg (59.2 KB, 4 views)

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Big B (09-03-2018)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 09-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Community Veteran

Location: with dogs, goats, donkeys, chickens and a miniature pig...
Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,382 Posts
Big B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond reputeBig B has a reputation beyond repute
Looks fun bro! I'll be ready to get back to it next spring. Last time I went, I haven't been in long time before, I was out for about 5 hours. Holy cow my back was so sore. It's fun tho. A lot of fun!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
i need to work into it. My neck was already sore form a 3 hour high speed moto ride through rural north Texas. Went through 4 counties average speed of 90mph. saw 1 sheriff.

Worked around the house then the kayak. Back feels good today

might go out this afternoon and just scout some new spots.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM

Went out again yesterday morning to a large pond near my house. It is a quarter mile long and 120 yards wide. It is also deep. They dug it for fill dirt for the dump and now it is part of the drainage system. Water is really clear and pretty. Not much structure. I caught largemouth in open water chasing shad. I used a bone with black back bandit crankbait #2 and a keitech 3" swim bait on a 1/4 oz jig head. Wish I had a top water but did not bring one.

Lost a bunch of fish as I was making super long casts when the fish would come up chasing, I never knew where they would be. I got hit almost immediately most casts if I could reach them. Light line, sitting in the yak and a med light cranking rod made hook sets hard on super long casts. I am going to change to 12# fluorocarbon line for cranking. Less stretch. None of them were big. all about 9-12"

It was fun. I went ahead and paddled the whole pond. I went to the south end against the light wind stopping to cast to a tree in the water or such. I trolled my baits and got a couple but only in the north end. The south side was dead. Bait was moving and flipping but nothing chased it. Came back to the north and they were still there, pushing up little threadfin so i caught a few more. I got too exited when some bigger fish came up and I backlashed all to hell.

It was drizzling the whole time and started raining so i left. First time I have fished here from the yak. This will be a great place for me to use my electronics and a light rod and line with a dropshot. i know there has to be big fish here. I just need to find em.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:35 PM
WCBB Veteran

Dakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond repute
I flirted with getting a Yak for fishing the kelp patties off the coast. Then I used a buddy's Colorado XT pontoon. They rock and are much more comfortable to fish out of. I am wondering how they would do in the surf getting out to kelp in the ocean?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I flirted with getting a Yak for fishing the kelp patties off the coast. Then I used a buddy's Colorado XT pontoon. They rock and are much more comfortable to fish out of. I am wondering how they would do in the surf getting out to kelp in the ocean?
I looked it up. I have used one similar. IMO better to fish out of but WAY harder to get to the fishing hole. A yak will glide a long way and if you have to cover rough water it is FAR superior.

If I have a 1/2 mile paddle I want a yak. If I was fishing pretty calm water and only had to go 50-75 meters I would want a pontoon.

I think you can get a good yak with a seating position very similar to the pontoon. Mine is not. It is a sit inside and is very stable but harder to fish out of.

Also a 11-13' yak will handle waves pretty well. We shall see how mine does when I go to the gulf.

My friend who has one got it at costco. He lives 2 minutes from the lake and near a big cove. I went over and we fished together. he could turn on a dime if the school of sandies came up behind us. I could not. BUT if the school came up 30 meters out of casting range i left him behind.

I suppose you will never get it perfect. Have to choose one or the other. Those pontoons are CHEAP too. under $400. A good yak is 1.5X more and up from there to $4K for a really nice one with a propulsion system. (Which is the hold grail of yaking)

Always wanted to fish kelp beds for calicos. I watched a youtube vid on it. looks fun.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
Oof man, becareful with those shoulders. A year later I'm still not sure what did me in, overdoing it on the Yak when I first got it, or tossing heavy rigs with the surf poles way too many times. Could have been a combo of both, but I had some sort of tendinits or frozen shoulder that had me not sleeping for 4-6 weeks. Kicked up again about 2 months ago, but was definitely from casting (wading out into the Gulf to my chest and casting the big ssurf poles, not a good idea). Good to hear you got out though.

Just had the Tropical Storm blow through here this week, hoping it stirred up and got rid of the mess we had been dealing with, we shall see.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumatai View Post
Oof man, becareful with those shoulders. A year later I'm still not sure what did me in, overdoing it on the Yak when I first got it, or tossing heavy rigs with the surf poles way too many times. Could have been a combo of both, but I had some sort of tendinits or frozen shoulder that had me not sleeping for 4-6 weeks. Kicked up again about 2 months ago, but was definitely from casting (wading out into the Gulf to my chest and casting the big ssurf poles, not a good idea). Good to hear you got out though.

Just had the Tropical Storm blow through here this week, hoping it stirred up and got rid of the mess we had been dealing with, we shall see.
I think I may go down next week to the gulf. it will be cloudy and rainy. I got reports that the bull reds have been on fire at the pass and in the east end of the bay which is a mile paddle. But to hook a 35" bull on a yak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have spooled up a couple of my reels with 30 # power pro (1 spinning and 1 baitcaster) I have my 12' surf rod with 40# dacron line. I made leaders up ready to go from 15# to 40#. weights from 1oz up to 6oz.

I have both my cast nets. Going to catch some mullet for bait. the bulls have mostly been caught on cut mullet and crabs. I may try for some crabs in the marsh.

I am STOKED! I love freshwater fishing and it is like a long term girlfriend you know and love dearly and would never give up. Saltwater is like the strange. You know it is going to be good even if it is bad just because it is different! HAHAHA

Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanked 3,476 Times in 2,778 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
It's been month's since I have been able to drop a line... im very jelly
Old 09-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Donating Member

Thanked 3,537 Times in 2,788 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Went out again yesterday morning to a large pond near my house. It is a quarter mile long and 120 yards wide. It is also deep. They dug it for fill dirt for the dump and now it is part of the drainage system. Water is really clear and pretty. Not much structure. I caught largemouth in open water chasing shad. I used a bone with black back bandit crankbait #2 and a keitech 3" swim bait on a 1/4 oz jig head. Wish I had a top water but did not bring one.

Lost a bunch of fish as I was making super long casts when the fish would come up chasing, I never knew where they would be. I got hit almost immediately most casts if I could reach them. Light line, sitting in the yak and a med light cranking rod made hook sets hard on super long casts. I am going to change to 12# fluorocarbon line for cranking. Less stretch. None of them were big. all about 9-12"

It was fun. I went ahead and paddled the whole pond. I went to the south end against the light wind stopping to cast to a tree in the water or such. I trolled my baits and got a couple but only in the north end. The south side was dead. Bait was moving and flipping but nothing chased it. Came back to the north and they were still there, pushing up little threadfin so i caught a few more. I got too exited when some bigger fish came up and I backlashed all to hell.

It was drizzling the whole time and started raining so i left. First time I have fished here from the yak. This will be a great place for me to use my electronics and a light rod and line with a dropshot. i know there has to be big fish here. I just need to find em.
I use 30 lb braid with a 14-17 lbs 2 foot leader of fluorocarbon so I can break off when needed. You feel everything and there is no stretch.