World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding Discussion forum > Bodybuilding Articles

Shoutbox

Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Thanked 18,571 Times in 10,771 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
The Quad Ham Roaster

The Quad Ham Roaster

If youíre a home trainer on a limited budget and only have limited space...yet you want to build your legs as well as your upper body, hereís an ingenuous little bench that will pack size and cuts on both your hams and your quads. It doesnít require any extra weights... no weights at all because youíll be using nothing more than your own body weight. Itís called the Quad Ham Roaster.

The inspiration for this ingenuous little piece of equipment came from Dennis Weiss, contributing editor for Bob Kennedyís Muscle Magazine.

Dennis and I occasionally share training ideas and one day we were talking abut building legs when Dennis shared how he built his hams using one of those old fashioned sit-up boards and a little imagination. He would raise the angle of the bench to about 40 degrees, kneel down facing the low end of the board and hook his heels under the leather straps to hold him down. Then he would bend over at the waist lean out over the bench which not only activates the hamstrings but itís the only muscle that can pull you back up again.

Dennis is so ingenious I couldnít resist trying it. Just a few reps told me it was better than I imagined. What made it so good was how you could tailor the weight to take advantage of the difference in positive and negative strength. Eg. On the way down (negative strength) you could extend your body way out to increase the weight. And yet on the way up where you had less strength you could lessen the weight by bringing your upper body closer to your legs.

It really was good! Better than the leg curl machines actually because the leg curl machine wonít allow you to adjust the weight throughout the movement and depending on the machine sometimes you have to get off the bench to change the weight.
There was a few problems however. After a few weeks your knees begin to work their way down through the sponge and grind into the hard backing on the bench, in addition the strap keeps slipping off your feet.

But it had enough positive elements, I decided to design a bench that would work not only the hams but The quads as well because I could remember a funny little bench anchored to the floor in Vinceís gym where I used to train. He called it the Sissy squat rack. Vince was always coming up with unusual pieces no one else ever thought of. Some so good you had to get in line to get any time on them.

His Sissy Squat had a padded bar bolted directly to the floor under which you slipped your feet and another padded bar you leaned back against. Then you would squat down with nothing but body weight as low as you dared. There was no fear of tipping over or not getting back up because it was bolted down and you could go a low as you wanted. It was a quad killer because nothing but quads could bring you up, not glutes, hams or anything but pure quads.

The more I thought about it the more excited I was.
It was going to be one of a kind... Hamstring bench but a quad building winner as well. But I wasnít cheering yet because I knew from experience that a lot of times it looks good on paper but when you actually get out on the gym floor and try it during an actual workout it seldom works as well as you hoped.

First I had to get it down on paper.. Then I went down to my home workshop turned on my electric hack saw and cut out the pieces of steel I needed. Then I tacked them together with my welder and stuck on some thick rubber padding. Before long I had a rough model of what I wanted. Took it over to the gym to give it a try... brought it back and tweaked it in a few places and tried it again. This went on several times until I felt it was really close. Then I took the prototype over to the equipment manufacturer and had them make me a finished product all painted, padded and dolled up so it not only worked well but fit in with our equipment line.

Larry Scott

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Precision Pinz

Beyondsupplements
Myprotein.com
Strength.com
i-Supplements
A1Supplements.com
BulkSupplements.com
Egg Whites International <---100% Bio-Available Egg White Protein

Remember... Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 PM
wanabe wanabe Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

wanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond repute
Cool bassman