World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 AM
jipped genes jipped genes Is Off Line

Thanked 4,617 Times in 3,536 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
They are a great locator bait. If you get a blow up and do not hook up at least you know a bass is present. I would say 90% of the time if the bass misses I just follow up with a creature bait to the same spot on the next cast and get bit.
I like a wacky worm. Highest % bait I have ever found but hard to fish when windy and will not penetrate cover. I do like brush hogs for creature baits. Watermelon orange flake. 1/16-1/8th oz weight pegged with a bobber stop. This would probably be my 2nd highest % bait. Prob is lots of little fish and bluegill peck and drag the bait by it's flappers. I am constantly checking to see if there is weight to set the hook.

As for frogs I have found the old snagproof frog design is great. you can add glass beads to the hollow body (and I put a couple of glass worm rattles in there) It sits lower in the water, casts farther and makes rattle noises when barely twitched. I reckon due to it sitting low it is easier to inhale and I get far fewer misses on this frog, ALSO it is a thinner more pliable plastic and hook sets are easy. I was out fishing a pond and all I had was my light spinning rod. med light action with 10lbs line. I was still catching fish on this frog. I also use it at night, black body makes a great silhouette for bass to target.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frog.jpg (41.6 KB, 0 views)

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 07-15-2020, 03:06 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 5,106 Times in 3,937 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
You need to add a trailer hook. I cannot even tell you how many more hook ups you will have with a frog if you run a trailer hook. It has to be at least a 500% increase.
Friggemall (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 03:08 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
These are the ones I am talking about. They just slip over the two hooks and the streamers or legs keep them from coming off. I have never lost one from a fish strike.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lake...frog-tail-hook
Old 07-16-2020, 06:19 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I have used those before but in slop if the frog lands on the hooks it is a wasted cast. Honestly with the snagproof frog and the beads I do not miss many. Also my reaction time is so slow due to poor hand eye coordination the fish almost always inhales the bait and the soft plastic allows great hooksets. I bought another frog recently Matzuo kroak. It is supposed to walk and spit which is good for more open water. I will try those hooks on this one as I will not readily get a hook full of grass.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
I have used those before but in slop if the frog lands on the hooks it is a wasted cast. Honestly with the snagproof frog and the beads I do not miss many. Also my reaction time is so slow due to poor hand eye coordination the fish almost always inhales the bait and the soft plastic allows great hooksets. I bought another frog recently Matzuo kroak. It is supposed to walk and spit which is good for more open water. I will try those hooks on this one as I will not readily get a hook full of grass.
I have that frog. Works well pre-spawn and during the spawn. I put it away after the spawn. It makes a lot of commotion on the surface and after the spawn the fish here spook easy. I also fish in 1-3 feet of water. If I was fishing deeper water I may use it.

I have never had problem with the frog landing on the hooks in slop. Slop is just about all I am fishing and the fish still hit it with grass on the frog.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:27 AM

copy that. The vid I saw they used the frog in open water with feeding bass in places one might use a zara spook. I caught a 7 lbs'r a couple years ago in 4' of water late summer, early fall from the back of a buddies boat on a spook. I am going to try the frog this year. The water clears up and I see bass swirl at the spook. Maybe a slightly smaller bait without hooks hanging down and something they NEVER see might get more strikes.

I use 30 lbs power pro with a med action 7' fast action rod and a shimano curado SFS cu 200 reel. It is an old reel but shimano makes good gear. I guess I could move up to a med/heavy rod but with zero stretch in the line I might not get as many hook ups.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:56 AM

The only way I would change the action of the rod is if the bait is not doing what it is supposed to do.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
The only way I would change the action of the rod is if the bait is not doing what it is supposed to do.
You are right. I have a tendency to overthink stuff. Well the pros use this, I should too. The limber tip gives the fish an easier take with the braid and the rod loads up slow but when it does, and by the time my eyes tell my brain which tells my arms to set the hook I get good hookups and very few fish throwing the bait.

The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (07-18-2020)