World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Firearms and other weapons

Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM
WCBB Veteran

Troop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond repute
Suppressor Science?

The facts- Colt Commando 5.56 / 11.5 barrel 1/7 twist, Magpul Handguard with Vortex Strikefire II optic. Federal 55 grain FMJ (plinking ammo) from 100 yd is no issues, ever. Fast forward, added a Thermal Defense Solution ďBantamĒ suppressor. Start at 33 yd (with support block), same ammo aim for middle fire three rounds, one round nearly hits the right side steel target holder about 18 inches from aim , the other off paper. This time I fired five rounds aiming at the far left side steel target holder, all five on paper but now weíve got about a 18inch group to the right. At this point I go to my Hornady 75gr SBR ammo, fire five rounds center and they are all on paper but a horizontal group of four to the far right about 6inch group and one floater a few inches away. Shot the 75gr again, same result with another floater. Got mad and went home.

After racking my brain and limited knowledge of suppressors I contacted an acquaintance who is well educated specifically in ammunition. He has the same Colt Commando as mine except biggest difference is his has a Midwest Industries free floating barrel. Put my suppressor on his rifle with my 55gr ammo and hit nice groups from 25yd. We did this for about 25 rounds and of course Iím at a loss for words. Try my 75gr. again, nice groups. Change suppressor back to my weapon and let him try it. All over the place again. We talked a little and it was beyond either of us. He made a phone call while we were on the range to another person who he works with telling him all the issues. One question was asked, did I have a D-Ring on my rifle? Yes. Put in layman terms, with the suppressor you add a lot of concentrated pressure which tells on every little thing the operator does wrong. This apparently is where the D-Ring/Magpul comes into play and was hard for me to understand since Iíve had zero issues with this weapon until adding the suppressor.

Pressure from suppressor magnifies my grip on the hand guard and harmonics from the barrel. I get it, do you? Solution I hope is to put a free floating barrel on and see what happens. By the way, the suppressor is a 3-D one piece, extremely light weight and less than 4 inches long. Not the quietest on the market but I wanted a SBR for a reason and Iím not trying to hide. Very long post but I thought it was interesting.

Thoughts folks? Buy a suppressor, $12.99 but wait there's more? (JK)
Genetic Freak (02-11-2020)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 02-10-2020, 11:20 PM
Deacon Deacon Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Deacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond repute
I do not really see the need for a suppressor - but I understand some do
Old 02-11-2020, 07:04 AM

Thanked 3,905 Times in 3,016 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
That is interesting. I would love to have one but they are damned expensive and then the stamp on top.

My dream would be a 9mm SBR with suppressor. The taxes would be as much as the build!

Anyway hope the FF barrel fixes your prob.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,234 Times in 3,326 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Same problem I have Troop. My suppressors fire well on some weapons and others they do not. Like you I thought it was the ammunition, which to a point it was. Federal, Wolf Remington UMC ammunition should never be fired through a suppressor is what I was told when I was looking for answers. While switching to higher grade ammunition fixed the problems in some of the weapons it did nothing to fix the problem in others. I just decided to keep them on the weapons they work on with ammunition that matches well.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 AM
WCBB Veteran

Troop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond reputeTroop has a reputation beyond repute
One key thing I failed to mention is we used sand bags to fire off of with the different grain ammo. The rounds came in better but still not acceptable which does sway me to believe the harmonic/d-ring theory. Iíll change out to a free floating barrel and see what happens. Iím not in a huge hurry but will let yíall know what difference I get from the change.

GF your correct on ammo as weíve spoke about briefly in other post. Paper tells the story when it tears compared to having a distinct perfect hole, at least on the 5.56/.223 rounds specifically.
Genetic Freak (02-12-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
All kinds of variables can get out of whack when you add a can. Crazy stuff you would never imagine is possible, like the threads being slightly out, and getting a near/slight baffle strike. Harmonics, gas blocks, ammo...it can be a crazy variable.
I've got a Yankee Hill 30 cal titanium can I hang on my sbr sometimes..specially when sighting it in. Otherwise that 7" bbl is a bitch. I prefer an 11.5", but I got a deal on this one. The first 7" shot like garbage. All over the place at close range..like over a foot out. I took it back to the gunshop and they gave me a replacement. The new one does the deed. Using a red dot an a magnifier off a Hart front rest got me 2-2.5" @ 100 yds out of a 7" bbl with a big 6 moa dot. So I'm telling you that I've chased a similar problem and know what you are facing. I finally swapped the complete upper. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Swellin For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Crusader by Choice

Thanked 1,063 Times in 746 Posts
paramuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with these guys.....

I have a couple that I built and a buddy of mine machined. I really only use one with confidence and it is on the end of a 22lr bolt action that I take squirrels out with. I run 700 fps on the ammo and it is literally movie quiet.. Outside of that I really don't use my suppressors.

~PM