World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Nutrition

Nutrition Ask questions and discuss any nutrition related topics here. Making nutrition education more meaningful through facilitated group discussions

Old 02-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,522 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
Sodium Benzoate: Education

If you read my log, you know my next phase is healthy eating, thus, I am going to read labels and research what's what...……...…

Todays Winner/Loser is Sodium Benzoate

An ingredient in my Soy Sauce......obviously, sodium, saltish a preservative, been around forever...…

Danger Danger Will Robinson, now when mixed with Vitamin C, you get Benzene.....which ain't good no way no how, it is an industrial chemical, basically poisonous as hell, like ummmm, real poison triple XXX shit, cancer causing

now if your an ironman and happen to be buying soy sauce with it using it for flavor, and mega dozing vitamins for your training regimen

you could be harming ur self
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 02-14-2020, 10:37 AM
Community Veteran

blm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
If you read my log, you know my next phase is healthy eating, thus, I am going to read labels and research what's what...……...…

Todays Winner/Loser is Sodium Benzoate

An ingredient in my Soy Sauce......obviously, sodium, saltish a preservative, been around forever...…

Danger Danger Will Robinson, now when mixed with Vitamin C, you get Benzene.....which ain't good no way no how, it is an industrial chemical, basically poisonous as hell, like ummmm, real poison triple XXX shit, cancer causing

now if your an ironman and happen to be buying soy sauce with it using it for flavor, and mega dozing vitamins for your training regimen

you could be harming ur self
It's not just soy sauce. It's in soda, marinades, hot sauce, flavor syrups, salad dressing, premade foods and more. Scary stuff.

This issue has come up year after year for decades and the industry makes "modifications" and moves on.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,707 Times in 2,071 Posts
MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
You are going to have to avoid berries, fruits, vegetables, seafood, yogurts, milk, cinnamon, allspice, etc....as benzoic acid is also found naturally occurring in all of these foods as well. In foods as a preservative, it's mainly used because of it's good antimicrobial effects in certain pH's. Depending on the pH of the food, it can convert to Benzoic Acid. Benzoic Acid/Sodium Benzoate also has a low LD50 rating, lower than table salt.

I'd not worry about it, personally.

Last edited by MR. BMJ; 02-14-2020 at 07:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MR. BMJ For This Useful Post:
blm (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 07:04 PM
Administrator

MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
In regards to benzene formed from sodium benzoate + ascorbic acid in sodas, this is moot case, as the few studies I've read show that the amount found was zero, or in trace amounts of 1.1 ng/g. The EPA requires that a safe level of benzoate in drinking water be set at lower than 5 parts per billion. There were some products found in Europe and Canada that showed higher levels in some European studies. Like with anything, the dosage determines the safety and/or lethality.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:16 AM
Community Veteran

trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
Is benzoic acid the same as sodium benzoate?

ur a trained nutritionist, correct...what's ur take on GMO

anyways went threw the pantry and fridge and found two other items with it in the ingredients, threw em out
Old 02-15-2020, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Is benzoic acid the same as sodium benzoate?

ur a trained nutritionist, correct...what's ur take on GMO

anyways went threw the pantry and fridge and found two other items with it in the ingredients, threw em out
One is the acid form, and the other is the salt form. As a food preservative, it mainly depends on it's acidic/pH environment. I learned more on food ingredients from my organic and food chem classes, and also my food science degree, moreso than my nutrition degree. Though they are interchangeable. I don't have a strong chem background, so somebody like glycomann could add more from that viewpoint.

I personally have nothing against GMO products, but I know many who prefer to not buy them, and many who despise them...it's a very controversial subject, lol. What I find funny is that you have companies putting non-GMO on every product, and that is just a misleading marketing scheme for people to drive costs up on products. For example you have wheat products in the store that say Non-GMO on their products (spaghetti noodles, flour, etc), and in return they make it sound more healthy and charge more money....BUT, the thing is, there is no such thing as GMO wheat. So you can buy a different brand of noodles with the same exact ingredients, and pay considerably less without the "non-GMO" mention...same with oats, and many other products. As of right now, there is only 10 GMO crops approved by the USDA and sold in the USA:

Corn, potatoes, soybeans, canola, sugarbeets, apples, papaya, alfalfa, squash, and cotton.

That said, I usually let people buy what they want and don't interfere. There is a lot of fear-mongering out there though, and normal consumers are not hard to persuade into thinking the worse. To be honest, in regards to say GMO apples, or any product, I just buy it as it relates best for me due to taste, price, and looks. For example, apples, I buy usually at coscto or Wal-Mart, and if they look good, and the price is right, I just buy them...they could be GMO, non-gmo, or organic on the label, I don't care.

In regards to various additives and preservatives in food products, you have people like Food Babe and extremists out there making money off people with their own products that have "chemicals" in them. They preach to stay away from foods with 'hard to pronounce chemical names,' but then sell products with, 'chemicals.' Preservatives are just used to keep a product safe from microbial growth, and to extend the shelf life of products...or for taste. A few more examples, but the point is that it is needed in a lot of cases for being able to sell and manufacture products. Just because 'chemicals' are used does not mean it taints the product and renders is unhealthy, and it can be a good thing in most cases. Now, if a person has a bad reaction, or doesn't like the taste to a preservative, or if it makes them hold water, etc, etc...then yea, they could just discontinue it, just like the case with any other food such as peanut butter, milk, etc. I'm all for trying to use the least amount of chemicals needed, but it's hard to do in most cases unless the food products are eaten right away, due to spoilage. I'm getting a little off topic, and my kids are driving me nuts fighting over this slime stuff they are playing...err, fighting over, lol.

Are there things in food that shouldn't be there...probably. However, i'd research them from a scientific stand-point, and leave the extremist fear-mongering opinions (or even bad research) out of it. It also depends on the amount....for example, just like alcohol...a little is fine, but drinking a 12-pack daily is probably not going to do you any health favors.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:26 AM
Community Veteran

Thanks for taking the time, Mr. BMJ

A good friend of mine and her husband, who has been a model for 20 years, are big into nutrition of food, yet, not obsessive about it.....I wanna live to a hunnert, and am curious and am doing my own research....

Probably spent 90 minutes the last few days playing internet nutritionist, and understand what you say completely......seems 80% of what I looked up had to do with shelf life
The Following User Says Thank You to trip For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (02-16-2020)