World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 AM

Thanked 4,030 Times in 3,096 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Spring fishing thread

Well we have a stable weather pattern for the first time this season. It is warm, bordering on hot. The fish will be moving up shallow now. The lake is very high, flooded really. Water is muddy.

This Friday is supposed to be cloudy and 86 degrees. Perfect fishing but we are on lockdown. I may go anyway out to an unincorporated area to fish from my yak.

I have had good luck this time of year and these conditions with big bulky plastic baits like brush hogs with a lighter weight 1/8 to 1/4 oz. (Black with blue fleck or chartreuse with black fleck) Those little glass rattles from plastics might make a diff. Pitch them into heavy SHALLOW cover with heavy line and wiggle them. Loose a lot of fish due to the heavy stuff but you won't catch any if you do not get bites. I like 20# P-Line Xtra strength. Great abrasion resistance, good knots, I could tow a bass boat through lilly pads with it. (I know because I got hung up in some pads and pulled the boat over to the snag.

If the fish are out feeding in more open water:

I use a spinner bait with a Colorado blade. Big thumper. Black is my fav color with dirty muddy water. I use a jig trailer in black and blue. The jig trailer displaces a lot of water and slows my retrieve with the big blade.

Chatterbaits are also good but i prefer a spinner as they get hung less.

Lipless crankbaits in firetiger or chartreuse with a orange belly slow rolled bouncing off the bottom. Louder the better. I have caught so many fish on these. None big but hey I am a mediocre fisherman and will take what I can get.

Last Slow roll a squarebill crankbait through light to moderate cover. These do get hung a lot but catch fish really well when nothing else will. It is a pain to get 1 out of 5 casts hung and have to go get it. But like I said one of my faves.

OK I just spent 10 minutes with my techniques. Lets hear yours. Freshwaster, salt, brackish, Mountain stream, bayou, pristine pond. I want to hear

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,397 Times in 3,428 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
March-May are the best months around for her for largemouth, usually. Unfortunately March has been all jacked up. Weather is up and down, 25-40 degrees one day and 55-70 degrees the next. Every time it warms up the winds pick up to 15-20 mph, so fishing from the kayak is out of the question. We have also had our entire spring allocation of rain in the last two weeks. My rain gauge shows we received 6 inches of rain in the last 3 days. Ridiculous. So I have given you every excuse why I have not been fishing, but that is about the change. I need to get the new kayaks into the water for their maiden voyage. This time of year I like fishing plastics in the water 1-3 feet deep. Anything over 3 feet I am throwing crankbaits and spinners. I never used to use anything except plastics, but changed it up last year when fishing were not hitting plastics and I watched a buddy crush them on crankbaits. I will never be stubborn like that again.

I have a trip to Louisiana at the end of June that I am really looking forward to. Redfish, speckled trout and flounder are calling my name.

I would like to hit the rivers in the spring, but you really need a couple weeks with no rain, which will never happen. Floating the rivers during the summer is fun, but wears you down. The shortest float is 11 hours and the best float is 13 hours. When it is 90 degrees you feel like you are only surviving the last couple hours. Fishing is an afterthought at that point.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I went yesterday for 3 hours. NOT ONE TAP! Saw a big gar but that was it. Was still fun.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:44 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
I went yesterday for 3 hours. NOT ONE TAP! Saw a big gar but that was it. Was still fun.
Put thawed shrimp or a nightcrawler under a cork at about 12 inches and let it sit. I have hooked a lot of gar with that set up. Fun.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
Put thawed shrimp or a nightcrawler under a cork at about 12 inches and let it sit. I have hooked a lot of gar with that set up. Fun.
I have done that before. We have huge alligator gar here. There is a guy who fishes the river that is 10 minutes from my house who catches HUGE ONES! I have used those berkley gulp shrimp for them. They will eat those too. I always set the hook early and never in their throat. It will catch for a few seconds then they shake the hook.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:12 PM

Yeah I would let them tow the cork around for about 30 seconds before setting the hook and in 75% of them that is not even enough time to get it in their mouth.

Today took the new yaks out to get a feel for them and figure out where all my rigging should go. Fishing was a second thought. I caught one 12 inch largemouth. I did hit something large, but it threw the hook in seconds.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM

Damn brother, I wish. Fishing here SUCKS here right now! Lake is 7 feet above pool and the color of green tea with milk in it. Visibility is 6 inches. A few guys decided to take their yaks out, I do not know them well but I am in the group. We all dispersed and fished our own areas. I was paddling down forest trails fishing either side by the marina. I only caught one dink I was prety proud as no one else caught anything.

There were a bunch of little 4-5 inch bass swimming on the surface eating bugs and such I guess. I was getting taps but none big enough to hook.

I only got bit on a watermelon lizard with the tail dipped in dip n glo. Tried chartreuse with blue back square bill cranks slow rolled (Normally a great producer). Spinner bait, creature baits of different colors, jig.

Anyway I took a few pics, even the dink fish just to prove I caught something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200327_134957.jpg (192.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200327_135625.jpg (173.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200327_144907.jpg (90.1 KB, 2 views)

Old 03-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Crusader by Choice

Thanked 1,146 Times in 793 Posts
paramuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond reputeparamuscle has a reputation beyond repute
I usually walk to the seafood section, reach in..... and grab what I need..

~PM
Genetic Freak (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Damn brother, I wish. Fishing here SUCKS here right now! Lake is 7 feet above pool and the color of green tea with milk in it. Visibility is 6 inches. A few guys decided to take their yaks out, I do not know them well but I am in the group. We all dispersed and fished our own areas. I was paddling down forest trails fishing either side by the marina. I only caught one dink I was prety proud as no one else caught anything.

There were a bunch of little 4-5 inch bass swimming on the surface eating bugs and such I guess. I was getting taps but none big enough to hook.

I only got bit on a watermelon lizard with the tail dipped in dip n glo. Tried chartreuse with blue back square bill cranks slow rolled (Normally a great producer). Spinner bait, creature baits of different colors, jig.

Anyway I took a few pics, even the dink fish just to prove I caught something.
Similar conditions here. Water looked like chocolate milk and visibility was around a foot. I tried all around the small lake looking for cleaner water. I caught mine on a white spinner bait. I figure something bright or dark with some noise and vibration was my only chance. Caught one. Tried some plastics with pro cure on them and was getting small strikes, probably small bass or sunfish. Hopefully we do not get any rain this week. I will be back out next weekend.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
Similar conditions here. Water looked like chocolate milk and visibility was around a foot. I tried all around the small lake looking for cleaner water. I caught mine on a white spinner bait. I figure something bright or dark with some noise and vibration was my only chance. Caught one. Tried some plastics with pro cure on them and was getting small strikes, probably small bass or sunfish. Hopefully we do not get any rain this week. I will be back out next weekend.
Which flavor of procure do you use? There are so many! I have read about them never used.

I use kicknbass shad flavor and some gel stuff in a tube that has no odor but has aminos and stuff. they like that a lot. Sometimes both as i need every damn edge i can get as I suck at all my hobbies but i still love em.

Buddy of mine went out to the same area i fished and caught 7 bass and two fat ass crappie on a reg and orange spinnerbait with a single red colorado blade. Bass were all tourny keeper size up to 4 #s. (He said both crappie were over 2 and FAT with eggs)

I was useing chartreuse and white spinnerbait with 2 gold blades. My normal go to for this color water.

Cloudy and post front today. I think I will stay in.