World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Survival food - hunting - hydroponics

Old 11-11-2021, 07:35 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 6,746 Times in 5,130 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
It was the first day my son could go hunting this year, so we headed out to Mark Twain National Forest. I had been to this spot a few times, but I have not really figure out the deer movement. I have seen plenty of deer, but their patterns are all over the place.

So today I put my son in my best spot and I wondered off to a new spot I have not even reconned yet. It took me probably an hour walking around to find a good spot, right where I thought the deer were bedding midday. My phone was blowing up the whole time, but I was on a mission. When I got up in my stand I checked my phone my son had sent me a few texts of deer in his area. He passed on a couple and really want to shoot an old 6 pt with no brow tines, but they have to have at least 4 pts on one side in our area, so he had to let it pass.

I stood in my stand for a couple hours and did not see anything, so I got down to do a little spot and stalk and check for fresh sign. I did not see much and as I am walking back to my stand I notice a fresh scrape 10 yards from my stand that I missed before and a small rub 20 yards away. Somehow in the dark I picked the only spot in the area with fresh sign, so I got back in the stand.

Around 12:00 I texted my son to get ready as the solunar table shows a minor period was about to start and the deer should get up and move. Literally 3 minutes later I heard some steps behind me directly down wind. A young 8 point buck walked right through my wind towards the scrape. He must have had COVID not to have smelled me. I struggled with should I shoot him, should I not. It only took 2 rounds of that and I chose to shoot him. I passed on at least a dozen of those bucks the last couple years and decided this one does not get a pass, as my freezer is empty.

He walked to 7 yards from the stand and I hit him with a throat grunt. He stopped and I let the arrow fly, but not before he took a step. I was mortified for half a second then I seen blood pumping out. I hit him high and farther back than I like, but there is an artery that runs along the tenderloins that is an absolute kill shot. I have hit 2 bucks in that artery and the deer literally runs out of blood in 50 yards.

Anyways I have about 50 lbs of venison hanging in the refrigerator.

No one gives a f**k about you once it inconveniences them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Genetic Freak For This Useful Post:
Friggemall (11-15-2021)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 11-13-2021, 06:02 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,983 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
f'n great tale
The Following User Says Thank You to trip For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (11-15-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 09:28 AM

Thanked 5,679 Times in 4,295 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Man, that is awesome. I have a bow but it needs to be restrung as I have not shot it in 20 years and have had it since I was 15.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 01:19 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Saturday was the opening day of rifle season, so my son and I made a trek about an hour north. We went over the plan of attack on the drive up. There are multiple fields and in one spot you can see two fields that are good for first and last light. I told my son to take that spot and I would walk a concealed route to the other end of the field. We get out of the truck, put our hunting gear on and head to our spots.

I got to my spot about 30 minutes before legal shooting time. You can somewhat see in the field, but not really farther than 25-30 yards. About 5 minutes before legal shooting time a deer walks to about 10 yards in front of me, snorts and bounds off. I was kind of baffled, because the wind was in my face at 15 mph. There is no way it smelled me, so I waited until I could clearly see the field and when I could see no more deer in the field I made my way back to where my son was supposed to be located. He was 100 yards out of position, because he thought it was a better position to see the field I was observing. In doing so his wind was blowing straight into the field and towards me which is what the deer smelled and he completely ignored the other field; the more promising of the two. After I mentored him I put him the correct spot then decided to do a little deer bump for him.

I knew of a doe bedding area right off the field he was set up on. I was going to come in from the downwind side to bump them out into the field. I got about 100 yards away from the bedding area when a 10 pt buck came bolting out of the bedding area towards me. His nose was to the ground and he was in search of a hot doe. I tried to get him to stop with a couple grunts, but no luck. I have shot a lot of moving "targets" and animals, so I pulled up my rifle and let him have it. The shot looked good, but I wasn't sure. He ran about 40 yards and stopped, so I let him have it again. He was DRT.

I was ecstatic. He is by far the heaviest buck I have ever killed. Not the largest antler size, but he is my first 10 pt. When I drug the 8 pt buck out of the woods I drug him 800 yards and never had to stop to take a break. This buck I only had to drag about 300 yards and I took over a dozen breaks he was so damn heavy. I did not get an official weight, because when we hung him up his head was still on the ground due to how long he is and my hanging beam on my deck being too low. The scale was at 186 lbs at that point. I would guess he would have been over 200 lbs if I could have gotten him all the way up.

After I shot my the buck I did a little crappie fishing waiting for my son to kill something. I doe showed up on the other side of the pond, so I dropped her as well. Three deer in the freezer is nice. Could have had four, but my son missed a monster 8 pt at a little over 200 yards. He has not been shooting much this year, so the buck fever got him. That 8 pt may have been bigger than my 10 pt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0628.jpg (125.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0633.jpg (57.7 KB, 3 views)

Friggemall (11-17-2021)
Old 11-16-2021, 06:37 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Damn brother, I am jealous as hell!

Congrats. Also spending time hunting with the son even though ya'll were not together while actually hunting is priceless.

The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (11-16-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Friggemall Friggemall Is Off Line

Thanked 4,131 Times in 2,952 Posts
Friggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond repute
GF - 3
GF's son - 0
Final Score - Never go hunting with GF

The Following User Says Thank You to Friggemall For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggemall View Post
GF - 3
GF's son - 0
Final Score - Never go hunting with GF

Haha! Usually he beats me, because I always give him the first shot. Now we hunt separate areas and most of the time I let him decide where he wants to hunt. He always picks the most comfortable spot or one where he can see a good distance with multiple shooting lanes. While I might set up where I have one shooting lane that goes out to 20 yards, but I know there is a high possibility a deer is going to come by.

Friggemall (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 10:19 AM
Friggemall Friggemall Is Off Line

Thanked 4,131 Times in 2,952 Posts
Friggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
Haha! Usually he beats me, because I always give him the first shot. Now we hunt separate areas and most of the time I let him decide where he wants to hunt. He always picks the most comfortable spot or one where he can see a good distance with multiple shooting lanes. While I might set up where I have one shooting lane that goes out to 20 yards, but I know there is a high possibility a deer is going to come by.
The young grasshopper will eventually learn to hunt where the deer are not where he can easily get to.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggemall View Post
The young grasshopper will eventually learn to hunt where the deer are not where he can easily get to.
Yep. I did some scouting for him today, so he has a good spot this weekend. It is hard hunting Mark Twain during rifle season, as there literally hundreds of circus camps set up everywhere. I found some spots just off the forest service roads with tons of sign. The only issue is the deer are going to be on top of you in seconds from the time you see or hear them. I prefer that kind of hunting. He does not. I will have him use the old Winchester 30/30 with open sights, so he can pull up a quick shot. I will have the Glock 20.

I texted him about the spot and his response, "Is it even worth going". Haha. Kids...

Old 11-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Let us know how it goes brother.