World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Medical and Physical Therapy questions

Shoutbox

Medical and Physical Therapy questions A place to talk about current and or past injuries and possibly how to deal with those injuries. Any advice should not be considered as medical advice, but rather from one person to another as you might ask a friend.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanked 2,577 Times in 2,223 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
Anxiety

I have bad anxiety right now. It all started after that damn TKR. I was depressed, frustrated because rehab wasn't going as it should. Then there was the retirement on Oct 1st. Spending too much time in my flat with nothing to do made things worse. I thought CBD oil would help but it doesn't probably because we can't buy high dosed CBD here .... I don't know what to do about it.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Community Veteran

BUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond repute
I have 2 recommendations. Meditation & cognitive behavioral therapy. If you're spending too much time sitting around with "nothing to do" meditation would be a life saver. The only real solution is in your own mind and how it's perceiving the world, not in an external band-aid cure. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life and have drastically reduced it over the past 2.5 years.

You might start with an app called Unwinding Anxiety by Judson Brewer and see how that goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to BUBBA289 For This Useful Post:
millenium girl (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Thanked 1,201 Times in 904 Posts
liftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond repute
Get out and about, hit the gym more, go to movies, eat out. Besides the gym my best anxiety reducer is reading good books.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I gotta second what's said above. I deal with it as well. I have prescription meds for it, but hate that crap, so I avoid it. As it turns out, those benzos have been linked to brain issues later in life. So thc helps. I have a dog that I poured tons of time and money into. he is registered as an ESA, and goes most everywhere with me..I don't force him where he is not wanted, as he is not an actual service dog. He is in protection training, but that doesn't count either. He has been a huge help! But then he ran into health issues, and that intensified my anxiety.
I have recently found that coffee amplifies the problem. There are dietary changes that can help anxiety, but the root cause is in our heads. I've read a great deal of stoic philosophy, and it can be a tremendous benefit! I spend most of my self help time on stoicism, and it pays dividends.

But first, whatever you are doing....stop. Change it up. Until you get moving and find things to occupy your mind, the rest of this won't help. There is a book called The Daily Stoic. Take a look. It's just one page a day. It's an introduction to stoicism lite. There is also a facebook page with the same name. They post some of the daily stuff and have discussions on it.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Swellin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Community Veteran

BUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swellin View Post
I gotta second what's said above. I deal with it as well. I have prescription meds for it, but hate that crap, so I avoid it. As it turns out, those benzos have been linked to brain issues later in life. So thc helps. I have a dog that I poured tons of time and money into. he is registered as an ESA, and goes most everywhere with me..I don't force him where he is not wanted, as he is not an actual service dog. He is in protection training, but that doesn't count either. He has been a huge help! But then he ran into health issues, and that intensified my anxiety.
I have recently found that coffee amplifies the problem. There are dietary changes that can help anxiety, but the root cause is in our heads. I've read a great deal of stoic philosophy, and it can be a tremendous benefit! I spend most of my self help time on stoicism, and it pays dividends.

But first, whatever you are doing....stop. Change it up. Until you get moving and find things to occupy your mind, the rest of this won't help. There is a book called The Daily Stoic. Take a look. It's just one page a day. It's an introduction to stoicism lite. There is also a facebook page with the same name. They post some of the daily stuff and have discussions on it.

Good luck!
Hey man check out A Guide to the Good Life by William Irvine if you haven't already read it. That one is easily my favorite book on Stoicism. Stoicism is the root source of cognitive behavioral therapy I mentioned above.

Swellin makes a good point about caffeine. I take for granted that people with anxiety have given it up now that I've been stimulant free for so long, but I shouldn't. The gym clerk was complaining to me last week about her terrible anxiety all while sipping an energy drink with 300mg of caffeine in it and admitting that she drinks 2 yeti's full of coffee in the mornings *facepalm*.

Millennium Girl have you looked at dietary changes? Specifically an elimination diet. I'm reading more and more stuff lately about how gut health impacts the brain. I think I recommended this to you before, I can't remember, but check out this book https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/the...oaAukoEALw_wcB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BUBBA289 For This Useful Post:
millenium girl (12-07-2018), Swellin (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I have not read that. I just bought it for audible, based on your recommendation.

A nice read, that doesn't really get into stoicism..not officially. But it's the same direction.The Art of Not Giving a .... by Mark Manson. It's a great read with excellent examples.

Last edited by Swellin; 12-06-2018 at 04:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swellin For This Useful Post:
millenium girl (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:27 PM
WCBB Veteran

StCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond reputeStCLineman has a reputation beyond repute
Psilocybin mushrooms if you can get a hold of any...... great for depression and/or anxiety yet illegal :-(
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StCLineman For This Useful Post:
blm (12-06-2018), TommyD (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear. Interesting that you have more anxiety since retiring. I was the opposite but I was in a very high stress job.

I wonder if the anxiety is a response to something or if it's a chemical imbalance? I didn't cope well with my work anxiety. Like most people in my line of work, I turned to alcohol to relieve stress. That is a road you want to avoid if possible. It just creates more problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pen Sillman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 PM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,057 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
Put a profile up on a dating site, get a date and have some fun.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:49 AM

Thanked 2,577 Times in 2,223 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you all for your input.

I had a stressful job and I miss it. I have applied for volunteer work at the University Hospital and hopefully this will help me.

I don't take meds except a sleeping pill or I won't sleep because of those damn nightmares.

I already hit the gym twice a day and also do cardio twice a day. Going out by myself isn't my thing, dating sites are a no no.

CBD oil is illegal here. I managed to buy some in Holland but it is low dosed and only relaxes me a bit, not enough to make me feel good.

I started taking DHEA after reading that it is a feel good hormone beneficial to women. We'll see.