World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

Shoutbox

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Sumatai Sumatai Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
Ahhh, man, you catch a few cooler full of Whiting, send them to me! Got here last year, Winter months on the pier, I started pulling them up so fast I couldn't rotate two poles and keep them baited fast enough. Thought, OK these guys are too easy, and this northern boy never heard of them, so they must not be special. After I grilled up a couple of the larger ones I brought home I quickly changed my outlook.

They actually started showing up on the beach here a couple of weeks ago, brought home a few groups, nice substitute while I'm waiting on the Pomps to pick back up. Speaking of which, I wasn't in the know last season, but the locals say in September, they start schooling again inshore and its as good as the Spring run.

Can't wait, as I've been choosing my days carefully this month with the good eatin fish not around so much and the Grass/Weed is.... still..... here.

Side note: did land my first pair of Specks fishing the Bay from the Yak 2 weeks ago get to cross that one off my list now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
man I have never caught a shark. I am going down to the coast next month for some fishing. It will only be good if we have green water to the shore. I have been down there 30 times and never seen it that way. You can catch specks and reds all day. In the morning in the first guy you will have schools of lady fish and jack crevelles and all sorts of fish. But only if the wind is not howling and the water is green.

Fingers crossed. Last couple weeks it has been hot down there. i am hoping as the weather starts to cool in september it will get even better if I can hit it right. otherwise it is hard heads and whiting for me.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Thanked 2,919 Times in 2,233 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I have never caught a whiting over 10". If I got a good one I would eat it. Last time I was down I caught a nice sand trout. It was bony but the meat was delicate and delicious. (too small to fillet)

I hope to catch some specks and maybe some reds. redfish on the half shell off the grill with butter and lemon pepper is amazing. But I have never caught any # of eating fish. My son and I got into some specks and caught 50 but none were keepers.

Wish I could get my kayak out where you live to fish with ya. I went to matagorda bay when I was a kid. I used a speck rig with 2 lures and caught pomps 2 at a time on every 3rd cast where the river flows into the bay. Have never been able to reproduce that. In fact I have caught just one pomp in the last 30 years and it was tiny.

Anyway I will post up if I get anything. Maybe a shark? I use my cast net for mullet and will put a whole mullet on my big surf rod. Normally the crabs just eat my bait.

Keep us up to date with your fishing. I love it. Some pics would be nice even if the fish are not big.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
We tore up a ton of sand trout a few weeks ago, most 7-9", but enough to make a meal. The specks were much better. I'll see if I can attach a few of my Whiting, one from Winter, one from last week.

Seaweed cleared a bit, heading out this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whiting.jpg (235.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg whiting2.jpg (141.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-23-2018, 06:50 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Nice brother! Does that young man fish with ya?

My son used to love fishing with dad. Now all he thinks about is training, boobies, school and work. Chip off the old block............except fishing.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Community Veteran

Hah, yep, he's my little partner. Pulled in his first Pomp this year, and was out there with me on a cold winter morning when I got my first slot red. He's picky though, he only eats Redfish. Some times I need to convince him to go, 6 year olds can get bored easier when you're not pulling them in every 5 minutes... but I think he'll be rounding the corner soon to the point he's bugging me to go.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:44 AM

That will be great. I think my son would go more with me if I still had my boat. We used to bass fish a lot. He does not like crappie fishing from the dock.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 AM
WCBB Veteran

Estrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant futureEstrogen Guy has a brilliant future
Yup Old cranberry patch

The ponds I fish in use to be cranberry patch early 50's history tells it. Arou june weeds, pads, weed, muk take over. The pond is not deep so it's a mess. But the cool thing about trolling motor it will push right through. I tilt it a bit and bam! Glides right through at 285 lbs, I'm impressed. But yes these days suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumatai View Post
Not sure if anyone is familiar or how far the geography stretches that it invades, but THIS SUCKS!!

This shit is hell.. it's like the Grinch got a hair cut and Swamp Thing took a collective dump inshore! And it seems its called June grass but may as well be called "Summer Grass". This is my full Gulf Summer, and after tearing up inshore fishing in the spring, loving life, this infestation of green hair (way worse than sea weed if that's what you are envisioning) has brought the beach side fishing seen to a screeching halt.

Imagine casting out and having the entire stretch of your line instantly coated with sopping wet hair, to the point that you have a tough time reeling in just based on the weight of it, not to mention the hassle of removing it once you get the line in.

What a tease, I get out here, find a rhythm, fill my freezer in the spring to find this. OK, I'll quit crying now and go clean my Kayak so I can go catch some Red Snapper. Damn, though, chilling on the beach with a drink and raking in Reds and Pomps was a sweet deal while it lasted!

Last edited by Estrogen Guy; 09-30-2018 at 04:08 AM.