World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Powerlifting Strongman

Shoutbox

Powerlifting Strongman Discussion on powerlifting, strength and more, including the squat, dead lift, and bench press

Old 05-06-2018, 09:43 PM
chicken_hawk chicken_hawk Is Off Line
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
I think I am gonna go single ply full power

A fb memory popped up from 6 years ago and it showed me hitting 405 for a touch and go bench and this many years later I struggle for the same thing or less. Every time I get close again something new gives. Endless, rehab, ART, massage, dry needling, graston and so on...just when I get going something new hurts.

So,now that I'm closer to 50 than 40 I think I'll try single ply lifting. I don't know too much about it, but there are some really good multi lifters a few hrs away so I may take a trip and try to get the basics and measurement stuff right.

I have zero idea on how to train with it as well, so that would be nice too.

Any input would be great.

Hawk
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 05-08-2018, 12:53 PM
The Flannel wearing Catnut!

3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
A fb memory popped up from 6 years ago and it showed me hitting 405 for a touch and go bench and this many years later I struggle for the same thing or less. Every time I get close again something new gives. Endless, rehab, ART, massage, dry needling, graston and so on...just when I get going something new hurts.

So,now that I'm closer to 50 than 40 I think I'll try single ply lifting. I don't know too much about it, but there are some really good multi lifters a few hrs away so I may take a trip and try to get the basics and measurement stuff right.

I have zero idea on how to train with it as well, so that would be nice too.

Any input would be great.

Hawk
before you go with a shirt and wonder how to fit with plastic bag, I would try a Sling Shot developped by Mark Bell... cheaper than a shirt
chicken_hawk (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Vandoo View Post
before you go with a shirt and wonder how to fit with plastic bag, I would try a Sling Shot developped by Mark Bell... cheaper than a shirt
Thanks man, I have and it is a way different bar bath and I have also used a shirt once and now its in my closet. It was weird and I am a noob so I'm fishing for info.

Hawk
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 AM

3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thanks man, I have and it is a way different bar bath and I have also used a shirt once and now its in my closet. It was weird and I am a noob so I'm fishing for info.

Hawk

lot of people do not realized is that they think using equipped is cheating and it will add you 100 lbs

yes you will lift more; but equipped has a different techniques and perspectives; in benching in any heavy lift, the press is performed as a J , it is basic physics using gravity, speed and inertia to initiate the bar and then the strenght follow the line.

with a shirt it is another ballpark, it is like you fit inside a way too tight tube of toothpaste and then you try to push the toothpaste out
Old 05-13-2018, 05:15 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
lot of people do not realized is that they think using equipped is cheating and it will add you 100 lbs

yes you will lift more; but equipped has a different techniques and perspectives; in benching in any heavy lift, the press is performed as a J , it is basic physics using gravity, speed and inertia to initiate the bar and then the strenght follow the line.

with a shirt it is another ballpark, it is like you fit inside a way too tight tube of toothpaste and then you try to push the toothpaste out
I know of some raw nazi's who think it's cheating, but they also think there only one federation too. I could give two shits as the biggest whiners have the smallest totals. Besides it's like Louie says, I have a shirt on my desk and it has never lifted anything. To me it (multi more than single ply) is scary shit. The amount of weight and stress that can just snap a bone is some serious stress.

The big downer is there no local geared lifters. I've been to the Sweatte Shop and there is a crew in the Ozarks I am going to vist in a month or so, but I like a challenge.

Hawk
Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I know of some raw nazi's who think it's cheating, but they also think there only one federation too. I could give two shits as the biggest whiners have the smallest totals. Besides it's like Louie says, I have a shirt on my desk and it has never lifted anything. To me it (multi more than single ply) is scary shit. The amount of weight and stress that can just snap a bone is some serious stress.

The big downer is there no local geared lifters. I've been to the Sweatte Shop and there is a crew in the Ozarks I am going to vist in a month or so, but I like a challenge.

Hawk
here the scene sucks big time; only 3 clubs in the surrounding; and unfortunately all filled with hipsters. All the real big boys are farmers in the boonies which explain why the f*** competition are in a f*** barn :P

There a new club that is supposed to open next month; and after I saw the members; I played "taps" in my head
Old 05-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
here the scene sucks big time; only 3 clubs in the surrounding; and unfortunately all filled with hipsters. All the real big boys are farmers in the boonies which explain why the f*** competition are in a f*** barn :P

There a new club that is supposed to open next month; and after I saw the members; I played "taps" in my head

There is a slow growth here. There is a decent Pling gym 45mins away, but in rush traffic it's an hour. But, there a some personal trainers who teach pling to there clients as well. I just judge one and he had a dozen lifters. It was a blast. But, besides my Thursday bench partner I am on my own in a pling friendly gym. I can grab spotters but I really need a good partner. We will see.

Hawk
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 AM
Worldclassbodybuilder

Vworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond repute
I have a multiply shirt I’ve been using for 6 months and just bought briefs and a squat suit. I’m lucky that there are people around that are able and willing to help teach me how to use them.
Near 50 and looking at new things
The Following User Says Thank You to Vworacle For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vworacle View Post
I have a multiply shirt Iíve been using for 6 months and just bought briefs and a squat suit. Iím lucky that there are people around that are able and willing to help teach me how to use them.
Near 50 and looking at new things
I get that last part, I had been down in the dumps for the bast 3 years because of these fragile shoulders of mine. So, I haven't done shit with any gear yet but am excited for the first time in a long time.

Any advice you can offer?

Hawk
Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 AM
Worldclassbodybuilder

Vworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond repute
Even if you have to travel, find people who know what they are doing with gear to train with for a while.

Do not let the numbers on the bar get in your head and keep you from learning the gear with lighter weight. And by light weight I mean weight that may be considered moderately heavy but manageable raw.

The bar path is different learn it with a weight that you and your spotters can handle. You may fight the groove of your gear until you learn what it is. In a monolift your unrack may be strange and you may tip forward.

Last edited by Vworacle; 05-22-2018 at 05:00 AM.