World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Powerlifting Strongman

Shoutbox

Powerlifting Strongman Discussion on powerlifting, strength and more, including the squat, dead lift, and bench press

Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
chicken_hawk chicken_hawk Is Off Line
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Bubble burst again...mentally at least.

So, I find my life to be full of ah-ha moments where things I thought were true turn out not to be or at least not in the way I saw that particular thought. Honestly, these days I try to be open minded regarding life, faith, occupation or training. But....even now I have these ah ha moments and have to reavaluate my thinking. I wish I never held the wrong view however I don't see how we have any other option besides operating on what we at the moment of decision. That being said, some never evolve and spend a lot of energy defending a faulty position....don't be that guy!

So, while it was not a life changer I recently had a mind set change regarding my training philosophy. I have been on a high frequency kick lately, really just touching a lift a few times a week. I still believe this is a legitimate and possibly a superior way of training, HOWEVER total volume and the individual (me) need to be considered. I have been doing off season stuff for a year now training each lift or bodypart 2 to 3 times a week and just get beat up. Elbows, shoulders, lower back limit my lifts due to pain.

Now, age is a factor but I have to accept that. Another part is the individual...I have never been able to handle high volume like many here can. Even bbing I found 8 total sets a week per bodypart to be ideal. Now, with the intensity that pling requires I have to accept that 1 tough set with some lighter accesorry work is the right amount. Not even max effort...more like a 9 RPE. I am not sure I should complain, but I was likeing the more can be better approach in my head. Yet, when I look back over what works best FOR ME sheiko and DUP is just more than my body was designed to handle. Hell, Sheiko nearly crippled me for five weeks. I did dl 4 days a week with some real success, but that was at 60% for doubles.

Now, I am not shitting on anyones philosophy, but this ah-ha moment was regarding my own recuperative abilities. As big weak middle aged mesomorph I simply must stick to what works for me no matter how appealing I find another training program to be.

Hawk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chicken_hawk For This Useful Post:
ClearWater (03-10-2017), Genetic Freak (01-15-2017), MR. BMJ  (03-13-2017), q-ball (03-12-2017)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 01-15-2017, 12:47 PM
flexappeal flexappeal Is Off Line
Community Veteran

flexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond reputeflexappeal has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. Training is very much like the compounds we take and even diet, we all can react different and it'd great when you can nail down what works. Myself I do well on high volume and lower carbs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flexappeal For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (01-15-2017), ClearWater (03-10-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Donating Member

Thanked 3,530 Times in 2,784 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Hawk.
chicken_hawk (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 02:55 PM
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexappeal View Post
Agreed. Training is very much like the compounds we take and even diet, we all can react different and it'd great when you can nail down what works. Myself I do well on high volume and lower carbs.
It's amazing just how unique we are. I wonder how many trainers make similar mistakes of putting their clients into some sort of mold without finding out their individual differences.

Hawk
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken_hawk For This Useful Post:
cockswole_gentlemen (01-16-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Angron Angron Is Off Line
worldclasspowerlifter

Angron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant futureAngron has a brilliant future
Sheiko for life!!!!! You know after my accident I had to change my training completely. But getting back into it it has helped alot. I was lucky for all that vlomue cause it relly did save me when i crashed. Also it gave me a base to build off of and I feel a heightened recovery, plus the cpap is a God send.

Also trails of faith happen brother. Even Christ had his moment in the garden....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angron For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (01-15-2017), ClearWater (03-10-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:00 AM
Donating Member

cockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond repute
I was pretty distraught when it occurred to me that perhaps mentzer doesn't have it all figured out.
The Following User Says Thank You to cockswole_gentlemen For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockswole_gentlemen View Post
I was pretty distraught when it occurred to me that perhaps mentzer doesn't have it all figured out.
Yeah, I have had a series of these through the years. The upside is I can make new progress once I take the restrictions off.

Hawk
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken_hawk For This Useful Post:
cockswole_gentlemen (01-16-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 AM

Thanked 2,919 Times in 2,233 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
do what works for you brother, bubble burst? no, epiphany to build a better you.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Tbar Tbar Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

Tbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond reputeTbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
Yeah, I have had a series of these through the years. The upside is I can make new progress once I take the restrictions off.

Hawk
I think some of my best gains came from being hit by restrictions from various types of injuries. Blow out disc combined with a torn ligament and broken metatarsal bones, making it 100% impossible to squat even the lightest weight, resulted in an entirely different method of training. Suddenly I was seeing gains I hadn't had in years. It kind of proved to me that I only know everything there is to know about training, up until the second where everything changes. If we're training correctly then things are changing all the time, which means I don't know shit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbar For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
do what works for you brother, bubble burst? no, epiphany to build a better you.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Ha ha thanks for the inspiration bro!

Hawk