World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Powerlifting Strongman

Shoutbox

Powerlifting Strongman Discussion on powerlifting, strength and more, including the squat, dead lift, and bench press

Old 09-16-2017, 02:57 PM
chicken_hawk chicken_hawk Is Off Line
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
Hosting our first meet...suggestions welcome

So, the gym I help manage has booked a powerlifting meet for May. It's the first meet there in a few years and the first under new ownership, name and direction. My buddy, decided to stop trying to compete with the big franchise gyms and go after the athletes and hardcore. So, even with a limited budget we have pushed in that direction adding racks and strength equipment and losing the sissy stuff. It working...not over night but a steady climb up.

To this we wanted to add classes and clinics as well. And now I have booked us a small meet in May. The goal is to make it lifter and spectator friendly. Something hard to do at small meets. I figure why not have fun and informal for local a new lifters as well as some vets. Rich McDowell will be bringing the SLP fed and is on board with making it a good time. I figure if you want to break some record or are some big time pro there are plenty of meets for you, but for the sport to grow we need these as well as RUM.

To that end I am sitting down with a caterer who does the local sports teams (I am his handyman) to put up a tent and grill some grass fed burgers and kosher franks on meet day as well as getting an affordable photographer to take picks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hawk
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken_hawk For This Useful Post:
ClearWater (09-21-2017)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM
ClearWater ClearWater Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

ClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant futureClearWater has a brilliant future
did you say "kosher franks"!?!

the local guy here switches up powerlifting comps by adding-in strongman challenges, and the crowds literally go wild to see guys do deadlifts, then to flip tires, then bench, then pull a small car.

i know the two aren't the same, but think of the audience who can buy tickets for a dollar to vote for who they think will win

sadly, a local powerlifter died, and they sell tshirts/muscle shirts in hos honor, and i buy one every year just outta respect.

i'll ask the gym owner what he does and i'll post it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken_hawk View Post
So, the gym I help manage has booked a powerlifting meet for May. It's the first meet there in a few years and the first under new ownership, name and direction. My buddy, decided to stop trying to compete with the big franchise gyms and go after the athletes and hardcore. So, even with a limited budget we have pushed in that direction adding racks and strength equipment and losing the sissy stuff. It working...not over night but a steady climb up.

To this we wanted to add classes and clinics as well. And now I have booked us a small meet in May. The goal is to make it lifter and spectator friendly. Something hard to do at small meets. I figure why not have fun and informal for local a new lifters as well as some vets. Rich McDowell will be bringing the SLP fed and is on board with making it a good time. I figure if you want to break some record or are some big time pro there are plenty of meets for you, but for the sport to grow we need these as well as RUM.

To that end I am sitting down with a caterer who does the local sports teams (I am his handyman) to put up a tent and grill some grass fed burgers and kosher franks on meet day as well as getting an affordable photographer to take picks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hawk
The Following User Says Thank You to ClearWater For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:26 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,350 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
Ask your members what they want and would come out for and invite friends.

FWIW, weekends are typically slow news days and in May no major stuff so local TV Stations are dying for unique stories. All you have to do is send them press announcements, and ask.............

Do the special olympians do lifts? Any local vet organizations, possibly?

Perhaps do it with an Adopt a Pet Drive with local ASPCA, etc.

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to trip For This Useful Post:
chicken_hawk (09-24-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Worldclassbodybuilder

Vworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond reputeVworacle has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure there are enough bathrooms or portopotties and a lifters and handler only area next to the platform
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanked 3,383 Times in 2,701 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
how about a big guy bi-athelon... two man teams, one lifts one eats... so you bench, squat, dead your partner goes hot dogs, cole slaw and apple pie

your combined weights + combined consumption

How about a mixed pairs category male/female teams 4 lifts two each combined weight
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM
Community Veteran

chicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond reputechicken_hawk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearWater View Post
did you say "kosher franks"!?!

the local guy here switches up powerlifting comps by adding-in strongman challenges, and the crowds literally go wild to see guys do deadlifts, then to flip tires, then bench, then pull a small car.

i know the two aren't the same, but think of the audience who can buy tickets for a dollar to vote for who they think will win

sadly, a local powerlifter died, and they sell tshirts/muscle shirts in hos honor, and i buy one every year just outta respect.

i'll ask the gym owner what he does and i'll post it up.
Kosher Franks lol are actually hot dogs made to the strictest standards...no flys, no varmints in with your beef. I had a football coach who worked at Oscar Myer in college making dogs and trust me if half of it is true you would only eat Kosher Franks.

Anyway, that is a great freaking idea. What we would like to do is build a brand using our name and do all sorts of events so if you see our name you will know it will be fun. And the concept you mention is right up our alley. This is our test run and so we are keeping it simple but want the details covered. We want to have raffles this time around for T shirts and etc...I also want to have bio's of the lifters so we can MC the event and keep the crowd involved.

I am going to chat this up with the guys and see what we can plan.

Thanks,
Hawk
Old 09-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Ask your members what they want and would come out for and invite friends.

FWIW, weekends are typically slow news days and in May no major stuff so local TV Stations are dying for unique stories. All you have to do is send them press announcements, and ask.............

Do the special olympians do lifts? Any local vet organizations, possibly?

Perhaps do it with an Adopt a Pet Drive with local ASPCA, etc.

good luck
Well, we do host the Special Olympics Pling event every year and a red cross blood drive, but we could certainly do more charity things like you mentioned. I never thought to try contact media outlets. Great idea!

Hawk
Old 09-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vworacle View Post
Make sure there are enough bathrooms or portopotties and a lifters and handler only area next to the platform
Very practical suggestion that I didn't think of. Fortunately, that should be easy to arrange. I will add this to my list.

Thanks,
Hawk
Old 09-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1food4u View Post
how about a big guy bi-athelon... two man teams, one lifts one eats... so you bench, squat, dead your partner goes hot dogs, cole slaw and apple pie

your combined weights + combined consumption

How about a mixed pairs category male/female teams 4 lifts two each combined weight
I like where you're going with this...we wanted to have a few events each year. Maybe one a quarter. A team competition never crossed my mind. Mixed teams could prove to be fun. Cool. Thanks

Hawk