World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:21 AM

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,543 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heady Muscle View Post
Good soups and stews!!!?
I make a Mexican fish soup that is really good but I use cod because it holds together and does not taste fishy. Catfish and crappie disintegrate.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
A1food4u (09-23-2020)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 09-15-2020, 09:29 PM
WCBB Veteran

Heady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond reputeHeady Muscle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
I make a Mexican fish soup that is really good but I use cod because it holds together and does not taste fishy. Catfish and crappie disintegrate.
I am in on that. Recipe Please!
For the Cod, do you use the loin or fillet?i prefer the fillet for pan frying.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:33 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
I take this recipe and doctor it for my own taste. I like a bolder flavor so I use double the chili and cumin powder (Taste as you go so not too much), way more garlic and onion, I use 5-6 fresh tomatoes, I puree 4-5 and chop one for texture. Of course fresh jalapenos or serranos. I parboil sliced carrots and add to broth as well. Nice texture and adds substance and nutrients. I also add more broth and a tablespoon or two of caldo de tomate for salt and it is delicious. I have also found that adding some cilantro to the dish while the broth is cooking adds to the flavor. then I chop cilantro and garnish on top.

I also season the fish with salt, chili powder and finely chopped garlic then sear it fast and light in ghee or butter to brown it a light brown but not too much before adding to finish cooking in the broth. I also do not use yogurt to thicken the soup, I use so much fish and carrots that it is almost a stew but if it is too thin while simmering add some corn starch slurry and stir gently which works good. Always a gentle stir or the fish will break up. The browning helps keep the chunks together I think.

I do not add shrimp but triple up on the cod. (Halibut works too but is more expensive)

I rarely follow a recipe by the letter. This is a good hearty and healthy soup we love when it gets cold. it is also EVEN better the next day as I guess the flavors all meld together or something.

A1, now that you are back what do you think. Tips to make it better?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...icy-fish-soup/

A1food4u (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 06:42 AM

OK guys, heading to Caddo in a few days. Going to take 2 catfish poles, 5 bass rods and a crappie jiggin pole. Would be nice to catch a bunch of eater crappie. Taking my yak and just one tackle box. Square bill and lipless cranks, plenty of soft plastics and hardware, top water is a must as is a frog. ( I have a falcon topwater special rod with a shimano curado 100 series reel (The little one) spooled with 30 lbs power pro braid. It is a fantastic topwater setup and I cannot wait to fish lily pads.

Genetic Freak (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM
A1food4u A1food4u Is Off Line

Thanked 3,895 Times in 3,082 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
I take this recipe and doctor it for my own taste. I like a bolder flavor so I use double the chili and cumin powder (Taste as you go so not too much), way more garlic and onion, I use 5-6 fresh tomatoes, I puree 4-5 and chop one for texture. Of course fresh jalapenos or serranos. I parboil sliced carrots and add to broth as well. Nice texture and adds substance and nutrients. I also add more broth and a tablespoon or two of caldo de tomate for salt and it is delicious. I have also found that adding some cilantro to the dish while the broth is cooking adds to the flavor. then I chop cilantro and garnish on top.

I also season the fish with salt, chili powder and finely chopped garlic then sear it fast and light in ghee or butter to brown it a light brown but not too much before adding to finish cooking in the broth. I also do not use yogurt to thicken the soup, I use so much fish and carrots that it is almost a stew but if it is too thin while simmering add some corn starch slurry and stir gently which works good. Always a gentle stir or the fish will break up. The browning helps keep the chunks together I think.

I do not add shrimp but triple up on the cod. (Halibut works too but is more expensive)

I rarely follow a recipe by the letter. This is a good hearty and healthy soup we love when it gets cold. it is also EVEN better the next day as I guess the flavors all meld together or something.

A1, now that you are back what do you think. Tips to make it better?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16...icy-fish-soup/
I like that approach a lot!.... to mix it up try omitting the cumin and switch to coriander seeds... just a teaspoon....and then a squeeze of lime... it will brighten the flavors and lighten the dish.
jipped genes (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:05 AM

A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
Here is my GO TO basic recipe for a broth involving any fish... heavy fish do well in this, smaller flakey fillets should be pan fried then have this ladled over for good effect...

COURT BOULLION
3 quarts Water
1 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1 cup Dry Vermouth
2 Lemons, quartered
1 T Salt
8 oz. Carrots, sliced thin
12 oz. Onions, sliced thin
2 sprigs Basil
2 sprigs Tarragon
2 Bay Leaves
1 T Sumac
1 T Pink Peppercorns

Combine all above ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Strain and reserve.

This will stay good in the average refrigerator for 14 days if its kept covered. On the day you use it ladle 8 oz into a sauce pan, add any veggies you want medium diced, simmer until veg are soft then pan fry the fillets.... sumac and pink peppercorns can be found in most high end grocers or at a local spice house
jipped genes (09-24-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 AM

The key to a stew is having the body of the stew thickened without breaking up the fish. I like a two step approach cooking the fish in broth separately then adding it to the thickened stew...
Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Thanked 19,113 Times in 11,126 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
Grass matts

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Sarms-Peptide Shop
Egg Whites International

.. Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Old 09-24-2020, 06:28 AM

Thanks A1. Glad you are back homie, did not even think about lime juice!

Bass, I think caddo has grass. I hope so. I love fishing topwaters around it. During the middle of the day I can use a heavy Tx rig to punch holes. Lots of lily pads which I have not had much experience but always a good one.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Check y'all later. Hope I come back with some great fish stories....and pics, because if there ain't no pic, it did not happen.

Have a buddy whop used to live in western Louisiana and he said this time of year use bluegill colored jigs and crawdad plastics around shallow cover near deep water. In the morning or evening, bounce a chrome square bill crank off cypress knees. If you catch em chasing bait in the open water, a lipless crank. And lastly if they are not biting, finesse presentations. He likes a light shakey head with a 5" zoom straight tail worm in junebug color.

I prefer wacky rig but also I bought some ned rig heads and bodies for light work.

My spinning rod has 20 lbs power pro with a 10 lbs flouro leader. Should be good for pitching docks.

Genetic Freak (09-25-2020)