World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements HideMyAss
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > MMA and UFC Discussions > MMA Training

Shoutbox

MMA Training Articles related to MMA and BJJ

Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
INTIMID8OR INTIMID8OR Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

INTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond repute
Combining MMA With Bodybuilding

Mixed martial arts (MMA) have become really popular these days for many men who want to learn how to defend themselves, and who are also trying to get in shape.

There are a lot of bodybuilders attracted to the idea of improving their fighting skills, and using the same vigorous exercises to get in great shape. While bodybuilders are using this trade off, a growing number of MMA fighters are now using bodybuilding techniques to improve their fighting and get bigger for matches and competitions.

One important factor that often gets overlooked is that you could never have a great amount of success if you're training for bodybuilding and MMA fights at the same time. These are two very different things that require different energy expenditures, food and diet, as well as training routines.

Bodybuilders have discovered great success through applying MMA techniques mainly for cardio to help them loose body fat and reach their personal goals. This is a popular thing to do amongst bodybuilders because it makes them look better, gets them in better shape, and can teach them defense techniques as well.

The Diet
It's imperative that you still eat like a bodybuilder, but before getting into a MMA workout, you can include additional carbs. The training session can put additional strain on your body, so it's also good to consume proteins after you have worked out. In order to assist with your recovery, it's good to include a large amount of clean and slow burning carbs. For helping your body heal at night, many people make themselves a casein protein blend.

The Training
When figuring out your training routine, it's important to separate the time spent training for bodybuilding and training for MMA. Many have found it helpful to select three days for bodybuilding and mark them on a calendar, and then doing the exact same thing for days that they plan on training MMA style. These two styles are separate, so try to make them separate occasions. Avoid adding weight training while using MMA techniques, and also avoid fighting on the weight training days.

The Recovery
So if you are trading off days during the week between training as a bodybuilder and training as a fighter, your body is taking quite a beating, both literally and figuratively. The quick and jabbing nature of MMA fighting coupled with the intense and arduous heavy training of bodybuilding means that your central nervous system (CNS) is most likely working overtime to recover.

The idea of combining MMA and bodybuilding training techniques is becoming more and more popular. People are discovering the advantages of this combination, and are willing to going through the tough training of each for the incredible results.By: Dane C. Fletcher
... "You can't out-train a lousy diet!

http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.co...g_baby_jpg.jpg
BASSKILLER Is my sister from another Mister..

Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 09-02-2009, 03:04 AM
rocketw19 rocketw19 Is Off Line
Community Veteran

rocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with most of that post Intim. I had that exact problem when I started MMA (for cardio) I kept my diet the same as always a BB diet. That was fine when I was just doing classes and such but when I went to the pro pratices and realy started training I never changed my diet still kept the BB diet going I lost tons of size and felt like shit for a long time. I finaly relized 1 day that I need to change my low carb diet. Man I still to this day feel stupid about that. I guess I have had a BB diet so long it was just normal life for me?

I tried to keep both BB and MMA training but there is no way in hell you can do both and be serious MMA takes way to much outta ya and you need to train 5-6 days a week. One thing I am glad for is all the years BB made me alot stronger than everyone in the gym Good at times cuzz it help me get outta stuff where I would normaly be stuck. Bad cuzz I would always fall back on my strength instead of skill. Alway when I would roll with better graples that would be the first thing they said damn you are strong as shit.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Deacon Deacon Is Off Line
Lifetime Member

Deacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant future
I have combined bb and martial arts for years - I disagree that the two cannot mix - but with that said I feel that one has to be dominant over the other in your focus - of course I also feel most modern day MMA fighters train to much - but that is a whole seperate topic
Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Community Veteran

rocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I have combined bb and martial arts for years - I disagree that the two cannot mix - but with that said I feel that one has to be dominant over the other in your focus - of course I also feel most modern day MMA fighters train to much - but that is a whole seperate topic
What kind of Martial arts did you do with BB?
MMA fighter train to much? Have you ever fought in the cage? My first fight went 3 rounds with a grapler and that was by the hardest thing I have ever done in my life I was so spent it is actually funny now. I train with 2 guys in the UFC and 1 in strikeforce and I dont think I or they train to much. It is the worst feeling in the world when you are getting tired and a 263lb man is on top of you getting ready to smash his elbow in your eye socket. Or even worse when you finaly get up and your punches are not chrisp or powerfull anymore.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Lifetime Member

Deacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant futureDeacon has a brilliant future
I have black belts in Taekwondo judo and Hapkidio - I fought for 5 years in both tournament karate and full contact - I was a high school wrestler - I spent years as a defense instructor teaching people how to survive in real life combat - I never fought in a cage - but I have fought guys on the street who outweighed me by 80-100 pounds at times and also multiple assailants assaults also

in an alley at 3:00 am fighting an ex con who does not want to go back to prison is a true test of many things inside of a man or woman - sorry but the cage doesnt even begin to measure up

but I will never - ever give up the speed that the years of technique training in the martial arts and years of power and strength bodybuilding blessed me with - for without them I would not be here today
Old 09-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I have black belts in Taekwondo judo and Hapkidio - I fought for 5 years in both tournament karate and full contact - I was a high school wrestler - I spent years as a defense instructor teaching people how to survive in real life combat - I never fought in a cage - but I have fought guys on the street who outweighed me by 80-100 pounds at times and also multiple assailants assaults also

in an alley at 3:00 am fighting an ex con who does not want to go back to prison is a true test of many things inside of a man or woman - sorry but the cage doesnt even begin to measure up

but I will never - ever give up the speed that the years of technique training in the martial arts and years of power and strength bodybuilding blessed me with - for without them I would not be here today
LOL, ok I wont argue with you but sorry street fighting is completly silly compared to a pro MMA fight. I grew up on the wrong side you can say and fought many many street fights and I would laugh at my old self now.
Besides we were talking about training not fight in the ally with some crackhead.
Anyone can overtrain I agree but the stammina you need for MMA fight is way above any full contact karate fight. you wrestled you should know that alone is hard. for me personaly grapling wears me out the fastest
Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Lifetime Member

well dont get me wrong - the type of street fighting I was talking about has little to do with crackheads LOL

I was also on SWAT - that is a completely different level of combat - but in the end MMA is a sport - I hope you dont confuse that issue and I dont want to sound like a dickhead but there are alot of folks around that would chew up and spit out alot of MMA champions - real world combat - and I mean combat - not street fighting is a discipline unto itself.

But one comment about grappling if you will consider it - I thought I was pretty good on the ground - all conference wrestler and all - but when I started to roll with a real judo master I learned that I exerted far to much energy on the ground - you have to find the feeling for true ground mastery and when you do you will not get so winded - it is hard to explain and much easier to show if we rolled together - all I can say is I used to kill myself trying to beat this guy and he just kind of existed down there until bam! and I was ....ed - man those were the good old days

na matter what you do though I wish you luck - martial arts was the best thing I ever did in my life - through its teachings I did come to a certain peace with things
The Following User Says Thank You to Deacon For This Useful Post:
Swellin (09-09-2009)
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Community Veteran

Yes I agree fighting for your life is totaly different! I was talking about Intims post MMA as a sport and training for it.
I am in the same exact boat with grapling I dont have the skill as most of my team and I end up wearing myself out and getting worked by smaller weaker guys. I do love the horse power I have but in the end skill usally beats me.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Member

the greatest secret is learning how to relax on the bottom - no matter what the guy on top is trying to do
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
INTIMID8OR INTIMID8OR Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

INTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond reputeINTIMID8OR has a reputation beyond repute
Im the baddest M-foker around ...Now back on topic ...INTIM >
... "You can't out-train a lousy diet!

http://www.worldclassbodybuilding.co...g_baby_jpg.jpg
BASSKILLER Is my sister from another Mister..