World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements HideMyAss
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > MMA and UFC Discussions > MMA Training

Shoutbox

MMA Training Articles related to MMA and BJJ

Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Viking Viking Is Off Line
Veteran

Viking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond repute
I am getting together a conditioning training split I can do at home. I have various things..

Atlas stones (310, 225 and 120lbs)
farmers handles
12" steel log
2-75lbs plates
300lbs set of olypmics
dumbells up to 40lbs
ez curl bar
stationary bike
various sized front end loader tires and a monster truck tire

I need new running shoes but i have miles of dirt roads to run on. I just dont have anything for boxing/kickboxing/mma.

I work construction so I can make things.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 06-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,863 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketw19 View Post
No offence bro but any gym that lets you fight in a month and havnt even trained the first day yet is not the gym to be at!
If you come from a high level wrestling back ground or something like that then ya maybe.

if you do fight then good luck to ya you will be suprized at the cardio you are gonna need!
\

agree. a month is not enough time. if your fighting anybody with a little striking or BJJ they will beat you. it takes longer to develop defense than offense IMO. defense comes naturally from training, rolling and sparring over time.

take your time. dont rush it.

--Thomas Jefferson

if ignorance is bliss than i am very blessed.

Tact is for people who are not witty enough to use sarcasm.

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
Plato
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Veteran

Viking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond repute
I am in love.... I had so much fun today. I am definitely starting a career in mma, even if its just amateur. After seeing how badly I needed cardio, I knew I was in need but was blown away by after 4 rounds of foot work and hand work, my tanks were 1/2 when I caught my breath. I held my own rolling but I have to remember im comfortable with my strength and moving my bodyweight at 330 and they dont roll with 330 lbs guys. I'm sure once i get down into their weight range it will get more techically difficult since I can't just la on them and tire them out. I am in the 25% b.f. range and will dramatically drop in the next few months. I will be going to gorilla jiu jitsu classes mondays with open mat after, wednesdays are kickboxing classes and saturdays are fighter days where anyone whos gunna be fighting show up and work on everything.

I told my coach I won't be fighting until next year just because I know now how difficult it is to get the muscle memory and techniques down. Also by the time I am ready to fight my conditioning should be spot on.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Veteran

Tonight was about 15 minutes of muay thai bag work then half hour of submissions then an hour of wrestling. My shirts get soaked quickly, im hoping with eating a better diet my weight will drop to the 250 range in the next few months.

Looks like mondays and wednesdays will be submissions/wrestling with muay thai thrown in if enough time. Saturdays is all about the fighters. We can work whatever we want so its awesome.

35 bucks a month until I take more classes....

im still stoked about this!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,863 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
keep at it bro. i reccomend finding a crossfit to train at for a while. crossfit will give you "real world" strength, speed and cardio. I just couldnt afford to keep paying for muay thai, BJJ and crossfit

i guarantee your cardio will inprove rapidly with it

--Thomas Jefferson

if ignorance is bliss than i am very blessed.

Tact is for people who are not witty enough to use sarcasm.

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
Plato
Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM
DGAF DGAF Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

DGAF will become famous soon enoughDGAF will become famous soon enough
Awesome bro, sounds like your having some fun. I am planning on getting into cage fighting. I have fought toughman contests and hold the 2007 super heavyweight title, but now that I won a championship I cant fight toughman anymore so my wife told me to give cage fighting a try. My ultimate goal is to become a pro wrestler but I would like to get some fights in the cage too.

I am coming off double hernia surgery and rotator cuff surgery so getting my strength back is my first priority.

Good luck to you bro.

DGAF
Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Veteran

Thanks for stopping by guys, I dont really know what a crossfit gym is but I assume it ain't no weight gym. I live in a little town of 3,500 and have to drive an hour to get to my mma gym so I really don't have time. Things are crazy booked with my two jobs, new dog and long-distance gf.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I have been meaning to respond to this for a bit now, but I have the attention span of a gnat on acid.

First, welcome to the club...it's a whole different club than lifting. Not better or worse, just different. Jipped gave you one piece of advice that is absolutely paramount.....leave your ego at the door.

I'll give you another little tid bit that nobody ever understands until they have trained for a while.....train slow, learn fast....train fast, learn slow.

That's my version of Mr. Miogi.

Rocket is also spot on with his questioning ANY gym that lets anyone (no matter how gifted) fight after a month of training. In truth, nobody moves right or punches right for the first month, much less learns the chess game.

Here is a list of equipment that I made for someone else. Rocket is partial to Fairtex...if I trained with Gunny, I would be too.

Best mouthguard you can buy. Amazing customer service! I won't train without it.

Customguards.com - Protect Your Winning Smile
Groin protection....
I use the Shockdoctor titanium.
http://www.combatsports.com/Shock-D...ctinfo/SDCUP+4/

and this nightmare of a product....

http://www.combatsports.com/Windy-S...ductinfo/CUP+4/

One that several of our folks have started using is the...Nuttybuddy.
Athletic Cup Supporters Protective Mens Safety Equipment

Best I have ever used....
http://www.combatsports.com/Windy-T...uctinfo/TSIG+2/

I currently use these, because I gave my Windy guards to a buddy who was just starting out.
King Professional Shin Guards | Fighters Inc.

Grappling shinguards (or competition shinguards for amateur kickboxing)...
I hate tapout stuff, but these are the best I've used.
http://www.fightgearoutlet.com/inde...ion=show_detail
I can't find my bag gloves...nobody makes the cool ones any more, and I've ordered another 10 pair that I sent back because they suck. It's time to try some new one though. I want some of the weighted kind as well as a new pair of bag gloves with good support.
Avoid "Top Contender." The stuff is cheap and does not last if you pound on it.
Weighted....
http://www.combatsports.com/Everlas...ductinfo/EVWBG/
High priced, but it should be a good glove, this company has a very good rep...too bad it's only 12OZ.
http://www.combatsports.com/Grant-P...uctinfo/GSBGLV/

My sparring gloves...
18oz
http://www.combatsports.com/Windy-H...nfo/TG%205/2709

MMA training gloves....Fairtex.
http://www.combatsports.com/Fairtex...oductinfo/TG20/
Gi.....lots of good ones. Gotta find the one that you like best. I use a couple that were jointly produced by my trainer and Gustavo Machado.
But gameness is a big one. red Nose used to make a good one.
Koral makes an awesome one. I am not a big fan of the platinum weave...too heavy for me. lol
http://www.koralusa.com/dados_loja_...o=025&cd_cor=01

Headgear....
top ten, the only one I will wear, and the only one our gym let's amateurs use for fighting in kickboxing matches.
Made from the same stuff that is used in Volvo bumpers.

Head Guard Full Protection | Fighters Inc.

I also use a big Top Ten gym bag to hold all of my junk.

Damn, now I see that you have put this on hold. Oh well, there's my list anyway. lol
I left out some stuff like shorts, wraps, cleaning stuff, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swellin For This Useful Post:
Viking (06-15-2010)
Old 06-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Veteran

Hopefully you read wrong since im still training, just not fighting for a while. I realized if I can't last the rounds in training why waste my time, my teammates time and my coaches time and try fighting. Even though I am a super-heavyweight.....for now.

I couldn't get most of your links to work so IDK.

It feels so good to hit the mitts after 3 years off, and also to show off my dwindled kick technique.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
I have to train tonight, so maybe tomorrow I can go through and fix those links. Sorry about that.