World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Supplement Discussion forums > Suppplement Profiles

Shoutbox

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
basskiller basskiller Is Off Line
Administrator

Thanked 18,378 Times in 10,667 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
CLA - Conjugated Linoleic Acid

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is an omega-6 essential fatty acid (EFA), which is said to burn fat, build muscle, and fight cancer. CLA has been called “the fat that makes you thin,” but the average American diet provides less than 1 gram of conjugated linoleic acid a day. Some researchers attribute the rise of obesity in America to the consumption of less and less CLA.

It should be fairly easy to get CLA from dietary sources alone—its main sources are beef, cheese, milk, and other dairy foods. However, conjugated linoleic acid is produced in large part by grass-fed cows—cows in the U.S. are more likely to be fed in feedlots rather than allowed to graze freely. This has lead to a great reduction of CLA in American milk, beef, and dairy supplies. Right now, the only way for the average American to get the same amount of CLA regularly consumed in other countries is through supplementation.

Research suggests that conjugated linoleic acid may indeed help reduce body fat. In laboratory studies performed with mice, CLA reduced body fat by 88 percent in just six weeks. Initial studies of the effects of CLA on humans have been promising as well. In a double-blind study published in the December 2000 issue of the Journal of Nutrition, participants who took CLA lost six pounds more body fat compared to those in the placebo group. The study found that 3.4 grams of CLA each day is needed to reduce body fat.

Conjugated linoleic acid has been researched as a possible treatment for many diseases, including breast cancer, obesity, and heart disease. It may also help increase metabolism, build muscle, boost the immune system, and help regulate blood sugar. In a study conducted at Purdue University in Indiana, CLA was found to improve insulin levels in about two-thirds of diabetic patients, and moderately reduced the blood glucose level and triglyceride levels. CLA supplementation may be especially helpful to those with diabetes or hypothyroidism, although anyone with a serious illness should consult a doctor before taking supplements.

CLA is available in most drugstores and health food stores, and often marketed as a weight-loss formula or fat burner. The December 2000 study used Tonalin, but there are many other brands to choose from. Just be sure to get a reputable brand—some conjugated linoleic acid supplements were revealed to be nothing more than vegetable oil in fancy packaging.

There have been no toxic effects linked to CLA supplementation, although some people do report stomach upset when they take extremely high doses.

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms

Beyondsupplements
Myprotein.com
Strength.com
i-Supplements
A1Supplements.com
PowderCity.com
BulkSupplements.com
Egg Whites International <---100% Bio-Available Egg White Protein

Remember... Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
The Following User Says Thank You to basskiller For This Useful Post:
BigBody (07-07-2014)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 07-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Administrator

basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplements May Speed Weight Loss

Patients with thyroid problems who are facing weight loss challenges may be helped by the dietary supplement conjugated linoleic acid - known as CLA -- which is reported to help body fat in people who are overweight.

A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study, published in the December 2000 issue of the Journal of Nutrition found that CLA reduces fat and preserves muscle tissue. According to the research manager, an average reduction of six pounds of body fat was found in the group that took CLA, compared to a placebo group. The study found that approximately 3.4 grams of CLA per day was the level needed to obtain the beneficial effects of CLA on body fat.

Dr. Michael Pariza, who conducted research on CLA with the University of Wisconsin-Madison, reported in August 2000 to the American Chemical Society that "It doesn't make a big fat cell get little. What it rather does is keep a little fat cell from getting big." Pariza's research did not find weight loss in his group of 71 overweight people, but what he did find was that when the dieters stopped dieting, and gained back weight, those taking CLA "were more likely to gain muscle and not fat."
In a separate study conducted at Purdue University in Indiana, CLA was found to improve insulin levels in about two-thirds of diabetic patients, and moderately reduced the blood glucose level and triglyceride levels.

CLA has been the subject of a variety of research in the past several years, and findings also suggest that some of the other benefits of CLA include the following:
  • Increases metabolic rate -- This would obviously be a positive benefit for thyroid patients, as hypothyroidism -- even when treated -- can reduce the metabolic rate in some people.
  • Decreases abdominal fat -- Adrenal imbalances and hormonal shifts that are common in thyroid patients frequently cause rapid accumulation of abdominal fat, so this benefit could be quite helpful.
  • Enhances muscle growth -- Muscle burns fat, which also contributes to increased metabolism, which is useful in weight loss and management.
  • Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides -- Since many thyroid patients have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels, even with treatment, this benefit can have an impact on a thyroid patient's health.
  • Lowers insulin resistance -- Insulin resistance is a risk for some hypothyroid patients, and lowering it can also help prevent adult-onset diabetes and make it easier to control weight.
  • Reduces food-induced allergic reactions -- Since food allergies can be at play when weight loss becomes difficult, this can be of help to thyroid patients.
  • Enhances immune system -- Since most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune in nature, enhancing the immune system's ability to function properly is a positive benefit.
If you're interested in taking CLA to help with weight loss, keep in mind that it's not a magic pill, and you will need a program of healthy diet and exercise in order to successfully lose weight and keep it off. And thyroid patients also need to make sure that their thyroid condition is properly treated, and levels optimized.

If You Are Interested in Taking CLA

CLA is a supplement, and does not require a prescription. It is available at health food stores, and at online outlets. Experts recommend that you use a patented name brand, as some brands have inconsistent or insufficient amounts of CLA contained in them. The brand used in testing was "Tonalin" patentd formulations of CLA. To obtain the level determined to be effective in the testing, you would need to take 3.4 g, or 3400 mg, per day, with meals.

By Mary Shomon

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms

Beyondsupplements
Myprotein.com
Strength.com
i-Supplements
A1Supplements.com
PowderCity.com
BulkSupplements.com

Remember... Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
The Following User Says Thank You to basskiller For This Useful Post:
BigBody (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanked 1,178 Times in 882 Posts
liftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond reputeliftsiron has a reputation beyond repute
I tried for a long time, high dose and never noticed anything from it in regard to fat loss.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplements for Weight Loss

Frequently Asked Questions

Is Any Brand of CLA Good to Use?

The simple answer is, no. Different brands have differing amounts of active CLA. The research studies that established the effectiveness of CLA were using a patented form of CLA known as Tonalin. Tonalin's patented formula for CLA can be found in a number of brands of CLA, which links to can be found below

Is CLA Safe to Take With My Thyroid Medications?

There's no evidence that CLA, a food supplement, interacts with thyroid medications, or poses any special dangers to thyroid patients. But you should always discuss any supplements you intend to take with your own physician or practitioner before starting.

Is CLA Only for People with Thyroid Problems?

Absolutely not. The studies have shown that it's effective in general for reducing/converting fat. You don't have to have a thyroid problem -- you just have to be overweight -- to benefit from CLA.

How Much Should I Take?

The study found that 3.4 grams of CLA was needed in order to get the benefits. That's 3,400 mg. Since the various formulas contain a percentage of other oils as ingredients, it's wise to probably calculate how much each pill is delivering to make sure you're getting the full 3.4 grams a day. For example, if your capsule contains 75% CLA, and it's 1000 mg, then you're getting 750 mg of CLA, and would need 5 per day to get to the 3.4 grams level.

Does CLA Have Soy in It? Should I Take It If It Says It Contains Soy?

Tonalin CLA in the 1000 mg size does not contain any soy or soybean oil. The confusion is because an older version of Natrol's Tonalin CLA did contain soybean oil, but that product has been discontinued. The Drugstore.com website, however, is still carrying the inaccurate information that Natrol Tonalin CLA contains soybean oil. Tonalin's formula contains CLA from safflower oil, and NO soybean oil or soy. Please be advised that some off-brands of CLA may contain soybean oil, or soy products, as fillers, and you would NOT want to take these products.

Where Can I Get CLA?

Amazon has some products with CLA, Here is a list of products containing
Tonalin CLA.
How Should I Take It?

The various recommendations differ here. Some recommendations suggest to take it before eating. Others suggest to take it with meals. The Natrol web page for their Tonalin CLA product says to take it preferably with lowfat or nonfat milk for maximum protein absorption. Personally, I'm taking it right before I eat with some 2% milk.

Does CLA Have Any Side Effects?

Some people report feeling slightly green or nauseous after taking their CLA, or isolated cases of gastrointestinal upset or loose stools. These side effects typically are reduced when the product is taken with protein (i.e.,with milk), and usually decrease after about 2 weeks taking the supplement.

Where Can I Read More About CLA's Health Benefits?

For more information about CLA, see:
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Supplements May Speed Weight Loss
Everydayfitness.net - CLA: Conjugated Linoleic Acid Research

Are You Taking CLA, and If So, Is It Working For You?

I periodically take the Natrol Tonalin CLA. Usually, in the first three weeks, my abdominal fat "pooch" shrinks. Other "fattier" areas (such as cheeks, upper arms, rear end) seemed to be slowly reducing as well. I also notice that my appetite is somewhat reduced. I had two or three days my first week when I felt a bit green after taking my CLA, but I began to take it with a bit of milk, which eliminated that problem. Other than that, I had no other gastrointestinal problems with it. I go on and off the CLA, based on my use of other fatty acids

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms

Beyondsupplements
Myprotein.com
Strength.com
i-Supplements
A1Supplements.com
PowderCity.com
BulkSupplements.com

Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Community Veteran

myosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond repute
I've been hearing CLA is a scam. any truth to this?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,173 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
i think it helps with fat loss, but like many supps it is a very small benefit.

sometimes supp companies grab onto scientific information and embellish it. If some egghead finds out CLA increases fat burning by .8% in mice a marketing team will call it the new miracle.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 AM
The Flannel wearing Catnut!

3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute
Here my opinion

When I used it as a supplement; nothing!

But when I am using food with higher CLA (whole milk etc) I see a difference in fat loss