World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > All About Fishing

Shoutbox

All About Fishing For all your fishing needs, knowledge, and stories.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
June Grass..

Not sure if anyone is familiar or how far the geography stretches that it invades, but THIS SUCKS!!

This shit is hell.. it's like the Grinch got a hair cut and Swamp Thing took a collective dump inshore! And it seems its called June grass but may as well be called "Summer Grass". This is my full Gulf Summer, and after tearing up inshore fishing in the spring, loving life, this infestation of green hair (way worse than sea weed if that's what you are envisioning) has brought the beach side fishing seen to a screeching halt.

Imagine casting out and having the entire stretch of your line instantly coated with sopping wet hair, to the point that you have a tough time reeling in just based on the weight of it, not to mention the hassle of removing it once you get the line in.

What a tease, I get out here, find a rhythm, fill my freezer in the spring to find this. OK, I'll quit crying now and go clean my Kayak so I can go catch some Red Snapper. Damn, though, chilling on the beach with a drink and raking in Reds and Pomps was a sweet deal while it lasted!
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 06-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Thanked 2,844 Times in 2,174 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Man, time to get a kayak and slide right over the top of that crap to deeper clear water and fish?

I paddle over thick beds of moss and grass, it adds friction and makes it harder to paddle but if you wax the bottom of your yak it slides over easy. Some of my best times fishing was on the edge of a grass line where the goo ends and deeper water begins. (of course this is fresh water)

I also love slop fishing for largemouth with a hollow body frog and 50# braided line. No frogs in salt water but surely there is some weedless top water you can throw. Pomps have small mouths compared to bass and are more of an open water fish?

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Community Veteran

Sumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant futureSumatai has a brilliant future
Still here unfortunately. Had the Yak out a few times, but it was random, and 2 of the 3 trips I had to paddle for 10 minutes just to cast twice between the wind and current. I don't have enough knowledge/experience to "hit the holes" when I'm Bay or Sound side, and blind casting with top water and/or plastics can get frustrating quickly. Hit the pier as well, but again, that's a "wait for the fish to come to you" scenario. Not as much of a fan after getting spoiled by the surf scene.

You are right about getting the Yak out over it, but you get maybe 1-2 Yak friendly days condition-wise per week if you launch Ocean side. those 0.5-1.5' wave height days don't come very often.

On the Pomps, yes, much smaller mouth, I typically use 1/0 for them, but many use smaller. I like to go a little bigger on the hooks because there's always a chance that a nice big Red will hit my bait as well. They are open water, but love to crash shore for sand fleas and their other food.. that's why you can hit them from shore more so than a lot of the other species.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Man, I have not been out since last I posted. Still better to go out and not catch fish than not.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Thanked 3,382 Times in 2,700 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
In the north we get milfoil that reacts the same way. look for a bend to the tips of the grass, always draw the lure back in the same direction of the bend, that reduces the snag, up here we will use top water floating popper baits with thin wire snag guards over the hooks.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:37 AM

we have milfoil in some lakes as well. Others we have hydrilla which is invasive but is a bass magnet. If you can find a patch of hydrilla then you have found fish.

Now getting to them is a bitch sometimes then if you get bit getting them out can be even harder.

I think pomps may run the edges of the grass but not get in it. they are designed as a fast maneuverable fish that chases prey rather than an ambush predator like bass (which do chase shad for sure) I am no expert on salt fishing. Wish I were. I love it when I get to go.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Community Veteran

They call it "grass" but its really 2 different forms of free floating sea weed. The first is like fine green hair that washes up in massive clumps, or dispersed to the point where you really can't see it, but it accumulates on stationary line for people like me with drop rigs. The 2nd which seems to be here now is Sargassum, which resembles the branchy tycial brown plants we are used to seeing, but again, in free floating masses that are washing up in amounts not typical. Environmental science mags are writing articles about it , but have no answers.

We're experiencing a mix of both now. July August are traditionally shitty months as far as the bite goes... This stuff is making it ridiculous, that said, I'm packing up now to head out.

Brought in 4 sharks, 4 cats, 2 Whiting and an ambitious Sea Turtle yesterday. did get a Pomp a week ago to keep the streak going, but it was a Juvi in the shallows, smacked him on the butt and told him to come back next year.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 AM

man I have never caught a shark. I am going down to the coast next month for some fishing. It will only be good if we have green water to the shore. I have been down there 30 times and never seen it that way. You can catch specks and reds all day. In the morning in the first guy you will have schools of lady fish and jack crevelles and all sorts of fish. But only if the wind is not howling and the water is green.

Fingers crossed. Last couple weeks it has been hot down there. i am hoping as the weather starts to cool in september it will get even better if I can hit it right. otherwise it is hard heads and whiting for me.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Friggemall Friggemall Is Off Line

Thanked 3,303 Times in 2,397 Posts
Friggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond reputeFriggemall has a reputation beyond repute
Is this the same as Red Tide in the Florida gulf?
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 AM

No, the slime is regular alge. Not toxic, just slimy and nasty. I assume you are talking about Sumatai's post