World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Nutrition > Nutrition Articles

Shoutbox

Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
strongarm strongarm Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 27,976 Times in 12,561 Posts
strongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond reputestrongarm has a reputation beyond repute
The Real Reasons Your Guts Need Fermented Foods

The Real Reasons Your Guts Need Fermented Foods
Heidi L. George

I am consistently reminded that I live in a very special place. Northern California is surrounded with redwood trees, the ocean and mountains, and an incredible variety of local and organic foods, which we are able to enjoy throughout the whole year. Since I dove into the world of raw foods a few years ago, I have learned many positive health benefits from eating fermented foods.

kimchi, sauerkraut, fermented foods, fermentation, weston a. priceBut, I will be honest: I have not consciously given fermented foods any credit until the past couple of months when I began to learn more about fermentation through my school, the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, where I am studying to become a Certified Health Coach. During my classes, I have been learning about many diets that have evolved over the course of human existence. I became intrigued by the the Weston Price Foundation and their explanation of the history and importance of incorporating fermented foods in our diets.

Here is a brief history of fermentation from the Weston Price Foundation website:

It may seem strange to us that, in earlier times, people knew how to preserve vegetables for long periods without the use of freezers or canning machines through the process of lacto-fermentation. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. Starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic-acid-producing bacteria...The ancient Greeks understood that important chemical changes took place during this type of fermentation. Their name for this change was "alchemy." Like the fermentation of dairy products, preservation of vegetables and fruits by the process of lacto-fermentation has numerous advantages beyond those of simple preservation. The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes as well as antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestine.1

Basically, you are converting carbohydrates, such as sugar, to an acid or an alcohol. When fermenting food, bacteria is used to create lactic acid, which is an important source of energy in food and not just the burning sensation you get after completing a workout.

Some of the important health benefits of fermentation:2

• Fermentation is the only type of preparation of foods that cannot destroy certain nutrients, will creates more nutrients and enhances others.
• It removes toxins and harmful bacteria found in many foods.
• It will improve your digestion, especially when consumed before your meal and also allows for your nutrients to be absorbed properly.
• It aids in the preservation and creation of important enzymes.
• Fermentation is a huge supporter to your immune function. It increases your B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, digestive enzymes, lactase and lactic acid that fight off harmful bacteria.

The most popular foods you can easily find in your local, organic, natural food store or farmer's market include: raw sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, kefir (from cow, goat, or coconut milk), cheeses, pickles, olives, beer, wine, and raw cacao. As always, I encourage you to buy organic and support local supplies as much as possible.

kimchi, sauerkraut, fermented foods, fermentation, weston a. priceAfter learning about the incredible health benefits from adding fermented foods to one's diet, I decided to give it a try. I do drink a kombucha almost every day, but be warned some of those include added sugars that kill a lot of the bacteria that was originally created. I believe we can get many of our vitamins, minerals, and nutrients from foods, so, instead of purchasing probiotic supplements, I bought a huge head of cabbage and spent some time in the kitchen preparing a batch of my own organic, raw sauerkraut. I began to add a small serving of sauerkraut to my lunch each day.

Since adding fermented foods to my diet, I have noticed a positive experience relating to my digestion of food. I can finally eat cruciferous vegetables again and I no longer have indigestion after eating melon and other fruits. My digestive track is very happy with all of the healthy bacteria dancing around on a daily basis. I highly encourage you to read more about fermentation and to give it a try. Your gut will thank you.
Glycomann (04-04-2016), Nate  (01-03-2016)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Thanked 18,570 Times in 10,771 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
very good post!

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Precision Pinz

Beyondsupplements
Myprotein.com
Strength.com
i-Supplements
A1Supplements.com
BulkSupplements.com
Egg Whites International <---100% Bio-Available Egg White Protein

Remember... Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Old 01-04-2016, 10:16 PM
wanabe wanabe Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

wanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond reputewanabe has a reputation beyond repute
Wish there was a little bit more info about when and how much to consume.
The Following User Says Thank You to wanabe For This Useful Post:
millenium girl (04-04-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanked 2,998 Times in 2,299 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
good post, i just do not like fermented food like kimchi ect. kombucha taste horrible to me. i will have to look and see if there are any foods I do like

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM

Thanked 2,576 Times in 2,222 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
I just started drinking kefir. I don't know what to expect.