World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Prepper Sponsors and sales

Shoutbox

Old 10-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 3,959 Times in 3,135 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
I watched a muley run about 100 yards into the bush after my uncle shot it with a 30-06 last week, and the shot clipped the heart...we found it, but I wouldn't point anything less than a 243 at a deer....then again I'm in British Columbia and big animals are around every corner . As fast and ethical as possible when harvesting for me, my 9mm is for holes in paper.
Deer are pretty resilient animals. I have shot a lot of deer and even double lung shots and heart shots with a .444 Marlin I have had deer run 100+ yards. For me the I look at an ethical caliber as one that will have complete pass through even if it hits ribs. If a caliber will not produce an exit wound I do not want it. I have helped buddies track some poorly shot animals and couldn't imagine how hard it would have been if they were using a caliber that did not produce an exit wound.
therealj (10-08-2019)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Swellin Swellin Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAGH View Post
If people only knew how hard it was to hit a deer's vitals at 1000 yards, a lot less people would try it.

I was looking at the 375 Cheytac and you may or may not believe that a round like this exists LOL...but here it is.

At 2000 yards:
1400 FPS
1524 LB

Of course you have 106' 4" of elevation to deal to the with at 2000 yards, but if you have the travel in your optics that isn't such a big deal LOL.

The ballistic coefficient is 0.988 so it bucks the wind pretty good. As soon as I have an extra seven or eight grand to spend I will get set up on that one.
I have a custom built .338 Lapua set up with an 8-25 Leupold Mk IV on it, for long range stuff. But I ran into Kirby Allen over on Longrangehunting.com, and that guy was building a .338 Allen Magnum, and a .375 Allen Magnum, based on the 408 ct case. this was before the 375 ct was around. It seems like everyone took that case and started "catting." Then we saw the .375 Snipe-Tach start setting long range records, and CT got in back in the game with the 375 CT. Those rounds are freakishly insane. the weight of the rifles...the components needed....geez, the powder burned in each face full of concussion is ridiculous! Check out Kirby Allen. He has an ancient website that isn't setup the best, but it's got plenty of cool info. He is also on FB, and posts project rifles for sale from time to time. he builds some seriously bad ass long range hunting setups.

He talks about time of flight, and NEVER taking a shot at live game beyond 1760yds. Simply because the animal can walk out of the shot after you break the trigger. That's with his supper powerful stuff. People taking pot shots with Granddad's '06 at a grand are really being stupid and dangerous.

Before I rebarreled my Lapua, I took a shot at a doe at 688yds. Mind you, I have more rounds down this tube at 300-1000 yards, than most people ever run through all hunting rifles their entire life. Dialed in the dope for 700, and let it roll....clipped the back of her neck/shoulder. Didn't stop her. By the time I started down, it was dark..more deer ran out of the cornfield she went through, than went into it...and it started raining. i searched for hours. Nothing. Two months later, I saw her with that spot on her neck/back where I clipped the very top half inch of her. I got buck fever and snap shot her with the same rig at 155 yds in a chest-on shot. It wadded her up...250gr scenar @ 2960 through the chest....she wasn't there when I got there. Blood and matter everywhere...again raining....she made it to the creek on the neighboring property 50 yards away, and I did not retrieve her. She was done in, but made it far enough that I lost her in the thick stuff through the creek. Georgia thickets are no freaking joke! I am getting sick right now from typing this. Long story to tell you that I have a very pricey long range rifle that I no longer have any interest in shooting game at distance. Even the close shot I blew....because I let myself get amped up...after wounding her at 688. I'm all about being ethical. I've shot some small benchrest comps, and finished in the middle third of the pack...with non benchrest gear. I'm a decent shot...but I'm done with this madness until I feel absolutely confident that unless something really weird happens, I'm bringing the animal home.
For me, it's not worth wounding something. You make excellent points, that I am just reinforcing with my personal experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swellin For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (10-08-2019), therealj (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 PM
Swellin Swellin Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
375 Am specs

Velocity Performance:
Bullet Weight Velocity (33" barrel length)
350 gr. 3300 fps

Ballistic Performance:
Bullet Weight: 350 gr. Sierra Matchking @ 3300 fps, 500 yard zero, 10 mph

Yardage velocity wind drift Energy TOF(sec)
600 2660 fps 11.0" 5499 ft/lb 0.607
1000 2281 32.7" 4043 1.095
1400 1936 69.2" 2912 1.665
1800 1625 124" 2051 2.343
2200 1358 202" 1432 3.152
2600 1154 308" 1034 4.116
2800 1082 371" 910 4.65

I believe this is using 144gr of Retumbo. That means a pound of powder will yield about 48 charges.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:03 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 3,959 Times in 3,135 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent points gents. Keep the long distance shooting for targets and people who deserve to be shot.

There has been a lot development on large caliber long range rifles since DOD started looking at a replacement for the SASR. The .50 is nice, but you cannot call it a precision rifle. There has been a lot of talk about adopting the .338 for special applications.