World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements HideMyAss
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Medical and Physical Therapy questions

Shoutbox

Medical and Physical Therapy questions A place to talk about current and or past injuries and possibly how to deal with those injuries. Any advice should not be considered as medical advice, but rather from one person to another as you might ask a friend.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,543 Posts
MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
Recent Lab work results

Been awhile since I had lab work done, so I wanted to go and see where I was at and ordered the following from Direct Labs online:
https://www.directlabs.com/TestDetail.aspx?testid=17

I had some minor labs done last summer before my gallbladder resection surgery (and hernia repair), but not extensive testing. All those values came back normal.

So, just received my results today, and some of the stuff I was worried about came back normal, and stuff I never worried about came out high/off...well not much, but some values.

The values out of range are as follows:

HDL......low.....30mg/dl........(>40mg/dl is normal).

Lactase Dehydrogenase (LD)......high......229U/L......(100-220 U/L)

GLUCOSE.......high......107mg/dl........(65-99mg/dl)

Phosphate......low.....2.4mg/dl...........(2.5-4.5 mg/dl)

HS CRP.......high......4.3mg/L

Everything else was normal....total cholesterol, LDL, TG's, iron, GGT/AST/ALT, Alk Phos, HGB/Hct and entire cbc test, TSH, and also PSA.

The HDL I've always had problems with it, and on my dad's side, they all run lower. So I weas expecting this, but was hoping it to be at least a little higher. I'm not worried about Phosphate.

What has me concerned the most is the fukking glucose. My fasting has always been in the 70-80's. I had my FBS tested last week as part of my job's wellness program (they check FBS, wt, and BP), and it was at 100mg/dl. This one the week after shows a value of 107mg/dl.

I had no idea these were going to be high, and in fact, I've been also taking Metformin-extended release, the past 1-1.5 months at 500mg BID, along with 600mg/d of regular ALA. So either my blood sugar was real off/high, or this Metformin isn't working...or both. The day of both tests, I took metformin on my empty stomach before the test, and the second set of labs (the 107 one above) I also took 300mg of ALA...WTF???

The extended release met I got from reliable-rx, it's the glycomet-SR.

The only AAS I've been on the past year has been 37.5mg of Test enanthate EOD for majority of the year, subcutaneously. I just recently bumped it up to ED dosing this past week or two since I'm cutting calories a little more. Outside of that, I'm taking Nolvadex at 20mg BID, which was also obtained from Reliable-rx.

After my surgery last july, I didn't eat all that well until the beginning of this year. I've been eating much better after the first of the year though. Before the surgery, I was eating well. I didn't train from july through the end of the year due to wanting the hernia to repair itself, g-ma passed away, dad had shoulder surgery, babysitter problems, holidays, etc...yada yada yada.

Now over the past few weeks, I've been getting a lot of flare-ups of cold sore blisters in my nose/throat, and have had to take off days from training here and there. On Sunday/Monday, it hit me hard, so not sure if this effected my CRP levels? Been stressed out like a MF'r and not getting much sleep either....but I guess I fit the norm for anybody who is busy with 2 little kids.

I can list my diet if anybody wants me to?

Thoughts?

Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM
Administrator

MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
Diet as of right now:

Meal #1:
8oz Egg white
170g potato w/ peppers/onion
Reduced sugar Ketchup.
5x fish oil caps

Meal #2: (Protein drink)
3/4c Oats
54 grams whey protein
8oz almond milk

Meal #3:
8oz chicken breast
1c rice
1c cauliflower or green vege/salad

Meal #4: Pre-W/O meal
1/2c Oats
27 grams whey isolate
1T coconut flour
1T PB
1/2t agave or honey
small amount of almond milk to work the above into a paste.
4oz applesauce

Meal #5: (intra-w/o drink)
94 grams of KarboLoad from trueNutrition
25g EAA's
5-10 grams creatine mono
3g leucine
10g Citrulline malate before the gym (may be causing my cold sores)
500mg chewable Vit C before the gym.

Meal #6:
8oz chicken breast
1c rice
1c Veges (may have more if I'm hungry)
5g fish oil caps.

***1-1.5 gallons water every day.
***Non-training days, I cut out the intra-w/o drink and have a second Protein drink similar to meal #2.
***Kcals for both days come right around 2,650.
***Usually have 1-2 cups of blueberries per day, but cut them out a month ago due to cutting calories down until July.

Supplements:

Outside of the stuff listed above....

NAC (1800mg/d divided bid)
Alpha-lipoic acid (6-900mg/d)
Metformin-SR (500mg bid)
Baby Aspirin EOD to ED for heart and COLON health (at night).
Citrus bergamot - 1 cap at night (Jarrow)
Super-Bio Curcumin - 1 cap in the morning.
Vit C - 5-1500mg/d (500mg prior to w/o).
Costco Fish Oil or TN - (5 grams BID)
CoQ10 - 100mg in the morning (Kirkland brand).
Ubiquinol - Costco/Kirkland brand - 200mg at night.
Nolvadex or Aromasin (40mg/d of Nolva right now)
Vit D3 - 5,000iu 1-2x/d.

L-lysine for cold sores when I get them. (Haven't taken in awhile, I usually use Valtrex) lol.

Caffeine 2-400mg/d
25mg Primatene in the am right now
Citrulline Malate - 10 grams prior to W/O (Still trying to decide if they cause cold sores?)
5-10 grams on w/o days only.
EAA/Karboload/Leuicine during W/O

1x TN "Sleep Aid" at night.

Last edited by MR. BMJ; 03-29-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Training:

Using the DC training 3-way split.

Sunday/Mon/Wed/Thurs for weights.

Day1: Chest/shoulders/triceps
Day2: Back/bi's/traps/rear delts
Day3: Legs/calves

Abs done EOD to 4-5x/week.

Cardio done for 30 minutes post training, and on non-training days, I do it in the morning fasted (though I've been slacking on these days due to feeling tired and ran down from the cold sores and low sleep....so I sleep in an extra 30 minutes instead... )
Old 03-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Community Veteran

myosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond reputemyosaurus has a reputation beyond repute
your saturated fats seem low, perhaps add some whole eggs and cook with coconut oil? also 5g omega-3 2 time daily(10g/day) seem excessive. try 2 in the morning and 2 at night. citrus bergamot need to be taken 2 x day(1 morning and 1 evening pre meal)
The Following User Says Thank You to myosaurus For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 PM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,154 Times in 933 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ This is the problem with online labs, no doc to say if you should have further testing when things are out of whack.

I've had some skewed results on some of my bloodwork and when I was retested it was fine. Not saying this is the issue here but it happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyD For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

Thanked 3,374 Times in 2,655 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure how long you fasted for, but I have to do more than 12 hours or my glucose will always read around 106. They order a retest every time, so I fast for 16 hours and it comes back around 81. Figure I will learn that eventually, since they do bloodwork every year on us once we pass a certain age.
MR. BMJ  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:59 AM
Lumpy Moderator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 2,668 Posts
Glycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond repute
I would guess your LH and CRP are a tad high because you are grappling and fighting/ regularly. they indicate damage and inflammation. Blood glucose I would say is probably normal if not fasted long enough. Hemoglobin A1c test would be the followup for clinically high glucose. I very much doubt you have any issue there. You can stop freaking out now.
MR. BMJ  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 AM
-TE- -TE- Is Off Line
Pimpin ain't easy

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,412 Posts
-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute-TE- has a reputation beyond repute
If you're concerned about your glucose, why not buy a meter and test it more regulary? I was doing that for a while. It comes in handy when using gh or mk too. I'm paranoid about type 2 because it runs in my family...
The Following User Says Thank You to -TE- For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosaurus View Post
your saturated fats seem low, perhaps add some whole eggs and cook with coconut oil? also 5g omega-3 2 time daily(10g/day) seem excessive. try 2 in the morning and 2 at night. citrus bergamot need to be taken 2 x day(1 morning and 1 evening pre meal)
Thanks for responding, brother

My fats are usually slightly higher, but I just adjusted them downward for this cutting phase. I'm not a big believer in coconut oil, I think it has been mostly hyped up as a cure-all by nut jobs. That said, I am not saying I think it is useless, and I do use it time to time. In reality, my fat intake is probably higher than calculated after I count the cooking sprays, and I always go a little more on the PB, lol. But yea, I usually try to have a little more avocado, almonds, avocado oil, olive oil, etc.....but recently lowered them to try a lower fat approach for this cut (similar to what John meadows did his past few contests). As the weeks go by, I may adjust it back up some a little, if I need to.

I'm going to bump the citrus bergamot up to 2 caps BID and see if it makes a difference. I wanted to see where I was at with these labs first because if everything was fine, then I would have just kept it at 1 cap. Overall, I'm happy with my lipid results, but I've always had problems with my HDL, usually no matter what I do. I have a few more things to try out, as well as I need to ask GotGame if he thinks adding in a low dose of Atorvastatin (ie 3-4x per week dosings) may be of overall heart benefit. That all being said, I wish I would have got labs done at the beginning of the year to compare to what I have now, to basically see if the past 3 months back in the gym made any improvements, and/or if the values were worse. I do know that I've never had any blood sugar values ever come out of range, so this is kind of alarming to me. I did eat like sh#t though from August through December. I mostly ate well all day except for at nights when I got home, then I'd devour the fridge, and weekends weren't all that great too. Maybe that was enough to make a difference.

In regards to the fish oil, I use lyle mcDonald's recommendations of 1.8-3.0 g/day of EPA intake. Once that amount is met, it is believed more is not better as it reaches it's saturation point. I use the Costco Kirkland brand fish oil caps, and the last time I calculated the EPA amount per gelcap, it came out to 8-10 per day. I'm at work and would have to look when I get home on the amount (maybe a google search on the product may have it) per gelcap, so maybe they've changed their amounts, as it was awhile ago when I calculated it. Other brands like Carlson's, TN, etc., may not need as much overall caps/fish oil to reach the EPA amount, but with the Kirkland brand, that is what it came out to.

Last edited by MR. BMJ; 03-30-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
^^^ This is the problem with online labs, no doc to say if you should have further testing when things are out of whack.

I've had some skewed results on some of my bloodwork and when I was retested it was fine. Not saying this is the issue here but it happens.
Thanks for responding brother

Yea, I am going to retest a few months down the road and see where I am at. The lipids will probably worsen if I go on an oral during this cutting phase, but that is to be expected. I only ever use orals these days during cutting phases. The rest of the year, I only use low dose test enanthate. So my HDL may worsen on the next set of labs...we'll see.

I actually prefer to use the online MD's from places like Direct Labs because it is more confidential and doesn't get forwarded to my insurance. Gotgame mentioned that they may be able to find it if they searched hard enough, but I'm not sure yet. All I know is that I like doing it this way right now so that way I don't have to listen to the fat wellness workers at my job tell me how to eat and also having it possibly effect my insurance down the road.

Since I work as a Nutritionist in a clinical setting, I am used to going over labs and helping people, so I kind of know what to do to correct most of these issues, but I also wanted to post this openly for board discussion and activity. That said, I am definitely not an expert, so I am still learning stuff on myself. It's also nice to be critiqued because sometimes you get stubborn and neglect stuff when it comes to your own health, lol. I imagine GotGame will put the hammer down on me if he sees this thread, but I value that. Actually, I think I'm doing pretty good outside of the HDl and FBS values.