World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Bodybuilding Fitness Recipes

Bodybuilding Fitness Recipes Largest range of healthy bodybuilding fitness recipes for muscle building and fat loss! Get recipes for breakfast, post-workout, protein shakes and more

Old 12-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Community Veteran

Lizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond repute
Smoking a Brisket

Would like to get some perspective here since we have a bunch of smokers or meat (not penis like some BMJ guy....)
Anyway.
Got a 11lb whole brisket and I am looking to smoke it. I have a propane smoker so keeping the temp steady is not a problem.

Let's hear what you got. Brine, rubs, temps, length of time etc.

I did a whole turkey 2 weeks ago and everything I read said 240 for 30min per lb, had a 20lb turkey in there, checked it at 5hrs was good, at 7hrs it was 185 and over cooked. Don't want the same to happen with this lovely slab of meat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizard King For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (12-20-2019)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,082 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite for a brisket... you will need to 1/4 the recipe for home use...

Guajillo rub
1 # guajillo peppers dried in oven then ground fine
5 cups salt
¼ cup ground black pepper
½ cup granulated garlic
1 cup sugar
½ cup ground cumin
¼ cup ground coriander
1 cup paprika
Old 12-17-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanked 4,612 Times in 3,532 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Never used a propane smoker. 1.5 hours per pound at 225. When it is cold and windy it will take longer. I do not think the type of wood you use makes as much diff as making sure you keep the smoke on.

I wrap it when it stalls. normally 4-5 hours. I have had cold days where my temp said 230ish and it stalled at 6 hours. (I read a hypotheses that the meat stalling is actually from condensation of meat juice. Like us sweating to keep cool. wrapping it at the stall prevents the condensation effect and lefts you cook through with minimal stall)

Once wrapped you can stop the chips. Let it finish smoking. I use an wifi meat thermometer placed in the fat end. When it hits 185-190 I unwrap the brisket and let it finish until 195-200. This sounds hot but it works for me. Sometimes I do a little mopping of the juice in the foil mixed with a little brown sugar. this builds a nice bark but let it "dry" between mops before it hits 195-200.

when it is a legit 195 min. I pull it. wrap it tight in heavy duty foil then old garage towels and put it in a cooler.

Leave the probe in it. wait for it to get down to 145 degrees. This seems to be the magic number for the meat rest. When you slice all the juice does not run out. Also leave the probe in one spot. Some folk poke too many holes in their meat. Although when I was learning sometimes probing to check how easy something slides in was the diff between a fair brisket and a great one. So if you do not feel comfy with just the exterior feel then probe it so you do not end up with a stringy tough mutha.

Once 145 i lay it on the cutting board and slice. I trim the burnt ends and fat for beans, then slice up what I think we will eat. I wait until we are done and slice the rest, vacuum seal it, chill the bags in ice water, then freeze it.

I have tried a similar rub from A1s recipe as he has posted it before. I did it on pork. It was great. Tried and true Texas rub is kosher salt, garlic, black pepper.

I do not brine my briskets. they are too big. Also they are real fatty. Save that for birds.

Hope you get it right. I expect pics and a review of your meat.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
A1food4u (12-17-2019), Vworacle (12-21-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 AM
EXTINCT

Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,036 Posts
DaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond reputeDaSarge has a reputation beyond repute
***Edit: I was writing this at the same time as Jipped, so just do what he said.***

We don't do a lot of brisket in Cali because this is more of a "Tri-Tip" state. That being said, I've done a few of them so here goes:

Brine: Never done it.
Rub: Whatever you like. A1's looks good. I used my "Tri-Tip" rub on mine and it was fine.
Temperature: Somewhere between 225 and 250. I did mine at 250.
Time: FOREVER. Seriously, count on somewhere in the vicinity of 12+ hours.
The key is to get the internal temperature up to at LEAST 195 degrees and then let it rest, rest, rest. It can sit for hours wrapped up in some towels inside an ice chest and it just gets better and better. I pulled mine at 198 degrees (just in case my thermometer wasn't reading perfect). The worst thing you can do is undercook it where all the cartilage, etc isn't dissolved an/or slice it too soon before the juices have the chance to spread back out.
I guess that's about it...

Last edited by DaSarge; 12-17-2019 at 06:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaSarge For This Useful Post:
Vworacle (12-21-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Community Veteran

Lizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond repute
So my 11lb brisket should take around 16 hours. The propane smoke keeps the temp consistent, regardless of wind etc so I will plan on putting it in tonight for dinner tomorrow.

What's the point of putting it in a cooler while it is cooling down?

I get the stall in my pork shoulders and it is due to the internal sweating of the meat, just let it cook right through it.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post

What's the point of putting it in a cooler while it is cooling down?
1. the exterior temp of the brisket will be much higher than the internal. The rest equalizes them and allows the center to hold at 195 ish or so while the exterior insulates it as it comes down slowly.

2. By cutting it when it is above 150 will cause accelerated evaporation of the juices. The rest makes sure more juice stays in the meat.

It is a texture thing. Seriously it makes a big difference.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
A1food4u (12-20-2019), MR. BMJ  (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:07 PM

A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
Jipped is spot on with that last post... resting a roast, any roast especially turkey, keeps the juices inside .

Meat is muscle, the heat works the muscle into a tight set of fibers like contracting the bicep, letting that temp equalize relaxes that "pump" in the meat so the juices don't get squeezed out... never heard the cooler trick before though but I like it!!!!
MR. BMJ  (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 3,064 Times in 2,320 Posts
MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
Hey! Penis meat is good!

<barf>

Never cooked a brisket...lol. I'm a Cali guy too like DaSarge, and we cook mostly tri-tip
Old 12-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. BMJ View Post
Hey! Penis meat is good!

<barf>

Never cooked a brisket...lol. I'm a Cali guy too like DaSarge, and we cook mostly tri-tip
I do tri tips from time to time. I do them rare/med rare and serve with au jus or horseradish.

Just because they are both beef. They are as different ass chicken and pork.

Neither are easy to cook really good. Both are tasty. But I have to say brisket is king. Cannot compete with the fat and the bark. To get a bark like on a brisket takes a lot of time and smoke and fat. Do a tri tip like a brisket and unless there is some secret way of cooking I do not know about it will be terrible.

The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
MR. BMJ  (12-21-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 02:17 PM

My favorite to smoke is a boneless pork shoulder, just enough fat to keep it dripping, not too much grain change and it really accepts the seasoning used.
MR. BMJ  (12-21-2019)