World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Survival food - hunting - hydroponics

Old 02-01-2020, 08:08 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,417 Times in 3,447 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
waiting for the FEDs to come take them
What weapons? I sold them years ago.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Thanked 4,043 Times in 3,106 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
.243 is plenty for the dog sized deer in Texas. My brother uses one every year and has never had one go away wounded. Me, I like the .270 although I have never shot a deer. It is what I carried when I did hunt. (saw nothing when I was a kid and shit myself, but that is another story)

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 02-02-2020, 07:06 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
.243 is plenty for the dog sized deer in Texas. My brother uses one every year and has never had one go away wounded. Me, I like the .270 although I have never shot a deer. It is what I carried when I did hunt. (saw nothing when I was a kid and shit myself, but that is another story)
Yeah. I finally seen some Texas sized deer last weekend. Nice antlers, but damn they are small. The does I shoot are bigger than most of the 3-5 year old bucks in Texas.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:43 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
Yeah. I finally seen some Texas sized deer last weekend. Nice antlers, but damn they are small. The does I shoot are bigger than most of the 3-5 year old bucks in Texas.
Yeah, A lot of trophy guys come to Texas. Like you said for the racks. Also they do not taste as good as the deer I have had from the south east. I think they eat a lot of acorns here which makes em more gamey.

Hypothesis from a non-hunter that likes eating game.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, A lot of trophy guys come to Texas. Like you said for the racks. Also they do not taste as good as the deer I have had from the south east. I think they eat a lot of acorns here which makes em more gamey.

Hypothesis from a non-hunter that likes eating game.
You could be on to something. What type of oaks? Not all acorns are equal.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
You could be on to something. What type of oaks? Not all acorns are equal.

Mostly live oak here. We do not really have white oaks or others with "sweet" acorns. When I was a kid I ate one off a live oak on a dare. It was horrible.

I understand you can grind all acorns and leech em to make an edible flour but deer cannot do that and want the high carb and fats from the nut.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Mostly live oak here. We do not really have white oaks or others with "sweet" acorns. When I was a kid I ate one off a live oak on a dare. It was horrible.

I understand you can grind all acorns and leech em to make an edible flour but deer cannot do that and want the high carb and fats from the nut.
Tannin levels in acorns will impact the taste of venison. From what I have read Live or Southern Oak acorns are really high in tannin. This makes more sense to me after talking to some guys down in Texas who said they do not really like the taste of venison. I thought it was because they took their meat to a processor and did not process their own. It could be do their diet. The deer up here in Missouri taste great, but they almost exclusively eat acorns from White and Red Oaks. Sometimes they get into Pin, Yellow and Black Oaks, but only when the others have bad mast years.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Yeah I think that is correct. Eastern deer is way better too. I have had venison many times in SC and it is really good. They eat far less acorns there and a lot of pecans as there are trees everywhere. Also mild winter so green stuff is always available.

They also have sweet acorns out there. I do not know which oak they are from but they taste good right out of the shell.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Community Veteran

blm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond repute
The venison I grew up eating in Pa that have a high corn diet taste entirely different than the venison I have eaten from south central Florida. After reading jippeds comments, I'd suspect the the live oaks acorns. They're very abundant in the area. Makes sense to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to blm For This Useful Post:
jipped genes (02-06-2020)