World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding Discussion forum

Bodybuilding Discussion forum Worldclassbodybuilding Adult Bodybuilding forum dedicated to the discussion of bodybuilding training and weightlifting advice

Old 10-31-2019, 02:28 AM
basskiller basskiller Is Off Line
Administrator

Thanked 18,840 Times in 10,947 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
Build A Bigger Yoke With Kirk Shrugs

What are Kirk Shrugs?

Kirk shrugs like most shrugs as the train the upper traps, back, and shoulders. But there are a few differences making this exercise more effective than your standard shrug.

How to perform the Kirk Shrug

1. Load a barbell at 25 % of your usual barbell shrug weight to start with.

2 . Grip the barbell using a thumbless grip by hooking the barbell with your fingers.

3. “Shrug” the barbell up by using your traps and lats. Pull the barbell as high as you can without using any other part of the body while keeping the shoulder blades back and down.

4. Hold the barbell at the navel level for one second. Sounds easy but it isn’t.

5. Slowly lower the weight to the starting position, resisting the pull of the weight on the way down. Do this while keeping your shoulder blades back and down.

Courtesy of "FitNess Vaut"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traps.jpg (97.6 KB, 17 views)

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Egg Whites International

.. Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 10-31-2019, 02:29 AM
Administrator

basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
What are they good for?
They’re very intense and make for a great “finisher” at the end of an upper-body training session. Try for 3 sets of 8-12 reps and the end of a session or choose a weight around 40-50 % 1 RM deadlift and go till failure.
They strengthen the muscles of the upper back, which are good for posture and play important role in performing deadlifts (keeping the bar close your body) barbell squats ( upper traps to sit the barbell on and to help keep a neutral spine) and improves overall shoulder stability.
Improving grip strength for all exercises that are grip related such as pull up, chin-ups, row variations, and deadlifts.
Strengthening the neck area is important for collision athletes such as football, soccer, and boxers as it helps prevent neck injuries and lessen the effects of concussion.

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Egg Whites International

.. Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Old 10-31-2019, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Who should (and shouldn’t) do them?
Collision athletes looking to strengthen the neck and upper back to stay on the field longer.
Lifters who looking to strengthen improve their deadlift numbers, pulling and grip strength.
Bodybuilders looking to improve their symmetry.
Anybody who wants to look huge.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Programming suggestion

Try this tri-set to build a bigger yoke and to improve grip strength.

1A. Barbell bent-over row- Perform strictly and lower the bar with a 3-5 second eccentric. Perform 3 sets to failure, selecting a weight that you can do at least 10 reps with.

1B. Towel Chin up– Hang a towel over a chin-up bar, grip the towel and perform chin-ups as usual. Do 3 sets of max reps going to near failure on each set.

1C. Kirk Shrugs: 3 sets of 8- 12 reps. Use a heavier weight than usual because of the lower reps.

Wrapping up
Although Kirk shrugs only trains a small area of the body, they play an important role for strength and collision athletes. And they help build an impressive yoke that will be the envy of other lifters.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,017 Times in 3,179 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! I do a lot of high pulls/chins like this without the pause and negative. I will give it a try.
A1food4u (10-31-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Community Veteran

Dawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond repute
Bass I don't get it. I don't see how a guy can "shrug" the bar so high that it is at navel level unless he has some seriously short arms or one helluva low navel. Only way I can see doing that is by bending the arms a bit and doing the beginning of an upright row. But it says to not use any other muscles other than traps/lats/shoulders, so what gives?
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,017 Times in 3,179 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgpound_Hank View Post
Bass I don't get it. I don't see how a guy can "shrug" the bar so high that it is at navel level unless he has some seriously short arms or one helluva low navel. Only way I can see doing that is by bending the arms a bit and doing the beginning of an upright row. But it says to not use any other muscles other than traps/lats/shoulders, so what gives?
I tried them today and it was really difficult not to incorporate different muscles. I probably only did a couple reps correctly out of 30. Hand position was a big thing for me. I had to put my hands about 6 inches apart to delete as many of the other muscle groups as possible. I guess you could go really wide too.