World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Powerlifting Strongman

Powerlifting Strongman Discussion on powerlifting, strength and more, including the squat, dead lift, and bench press

Old 06-17-2020, 07:14 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,789 Times in 3,702 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Age Related Declines in Anaerobic Muscular Performance

We all know your ability to generate power will decrease with age, but when and by how much. Here is a retrospective study on powerlifting and Olympic lifting records that shows the linear regression of muscular power.

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/F...scular.24.aspx

Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,999 Times in 1,627 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
read it, fwiw, imho, injuries and GH really the culprits.....just starts a cycle of depleting results mainly due to self preservation perspective and reality

fwiw, a lot of high level folks can keep it up into 50's, yet, reality eventually wins
Old 06-18-2020, 11:26 AM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
read it, fwiw, imho, injuries and GH really the culprits.....just starts a cycle of depleting results mainly due to self preservation perspective and reality

fwiw, a lot of high level folks can keep it up into 50's, yet, reality eventually wins
Definitely. This was not a scientific study, so it did not address the variables. More of a study on how powerlifting and Olympic lifting record weights decreased over time with the understanding this was due to muscular performance.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:36 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,999 Times in 1,627 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
I got it GF, why I mentioned great performance in 50's, they plot averages, I've seen guys in that age range still producing amazing results
Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
I got it GF, why I mentioned great performance in 50's, they plot averages, I've seen guys in that age range still producing amazing results
Absolutely brother. Plenty of powerlifters doing well later in life, Olympic lifters not as much. You see how steep the linear regression is in Olympic lifters and would assume joint issues and reduction in speed contribute more to the regression than muscular strength.
jipped genes (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 05:47 AM

Thanked 4,352 Times in 3,333 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
That is not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting old sucks, yeah I will loose strength, but I will just be the best I can at whatever age I am at.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (06-22-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 02:29 AM
Community Veteran

Dawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpound_Hank has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
That is not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting old sucks, yeah I will loose strength, but I will just be the best I can at whatever age I am at.
My thoughts too - pretty damn good if ya ask me. Take a guy who can bench 400 in his prime, and can still bench 280 at 64? Hell yeah. What did they expect, we get faster and stronger as we age duh? Cool study though.

I would say a combination of joint/tendon deterioration/lower collagen production, and differences in recovery ability plays the biggest role. It can't be solely hormones as in AAS , IGF, GH. If so, why am I not stronger now at 56 running AAS and GH than when I was in my prime and natty? Surely my testosterone and GH/IGF levels are MUCH higher now than when I was young and natty, yet I was stronger then.

If one day they figure out a magic pill that will let a 60 y.o guy go out and play a game of tackle football, and rebound the same as a 20 y.o guy, they will have solved the puzzle. I want that pill haha.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dawgpound_Hank For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (06-26-2020), Vworacle (07-01-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 06:52 AM
Lumpy Moderator

Thanked 5,090 Times in 3,238 Posts
Glycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond repute
For all you old guys, look at your friends your age that didn't workout or eat as healthy. You are way ahead of the game. It sucks that I can't load up 450 on the squat rack and do 8-10 reps anymore. I go over 225 and I might pull a hamstring or jack up my lower back. Pretty much garanteed to happen within 3 workouts. But if I can do 4 sets of 225 for 15 reps I can probably get away with it for the most part and keep everything strong without too much back pain and maybe sparing my hamstring. And there are not to many men close to 60 that are going to squat 225 for 15 reps, at least not near me. Sucks but that's just how it goes with old animals and old cars. You race those cars and you're gonna get some dents and the balljoints aer gonna get a little loose.
Genetic Freak (06-26-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 11:09 PM
Deacon Deacon Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Deacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond reputeDeacon has a reputation beyond repute
at 55 I am still hanging in there - look relatively good and still stronger that the kids for the most part - I had a training partner who was very strong until almost 65 - he was slowly losing strength then

the good thing about age - if you have trained a long time you have a look from muscle maturity that the kids don't have - not sure how to describe it - kind of a brute look lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Deacon For This Useful Post:
Genetic Freak (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM

Unfortunately I had to make a choice at around age 30 between my goal as being an elite powerlifter and my job. The Marine Corps promotion system does not care if you can lift a mountain. They care if you look good in uniform and if you score high on your physical fitness test, which is nearly impossible when you are a large bodied individual. I had to drop powerlifting and DC style training for CrossFit/combat conditioning. It paid off in that I looked like the picture perfect Marine on the promotion boards, which helped me reach the top.

When I retired and started back into the routine I was a little disgusted in the numbers I was putting up, but like you mentioned Deacon muscle maturity is a real thing. My bench is almost at or maybe even eclipsed my old numbers in only 4 months of returning to DC style training after 12 years away. Deadlifts and squats, not so much, but I also have back, hip and knee injuries, so I have been slow rolling those lifts.

I would say the ability to generate power is greater in my 40's than it was in my 20's.