World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding and Fitness Training Journals

Bodybuilding and Fitness Training Journals Keep track of your daily training routine. An interactive way to track your progress. Have others follow and help with your progress

Old 10-05-2017, 07:48 PM
G21 G21 Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

G21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond repute
Post-Op Shoulder Rehab Log

All,

Im going to start a bit of different log about my upcoming shoulder surgeries. I did this once before when i had my initial repair in 2008 and members of another board found it helpful, so why not do it again??? I want to get this posted as the next couple of weeks will be a bit crazy getting everything ready and prepped. Mods, if you need to move this to another area of the board, please do so at your leasure, just let me know where you put it.

A little background about my first repair in 2008...I managed to significantly injure my shoulder sometime in around 2005, didnt have insurance so had to wait to have it repaired - i could dislocate my shoulder on comand, fun party trick. Fast forward to 2008, obtained great insurance and had things taken care of. I had three MRI's:

1st MRI wasnt useable because the damn machine wasnt "tuned" correctly
2nd MRI didnt show any tear or problems
3rd MRI with arthrogram didnt show any damage either

MRI's are supposed to be the "industry standard" however, the shoulder can be difficult to image and the machine only has about a 70% success rate anyway. Translation, im not a fan.

Went the whole route of PT with no success. Surgeon finally agreed it was time to go in and take a look. The results were quite contrary to the images taken by MRI

When my surgeon scoped my shoulder he found significant cartilage tears and fraying, and found a significant bankart legion from 6-11. Five mitek lupine self absorbable anchors latter and plication of over 1.5cm of tissue and the repair was complete. All this was in my left shoulder.

Fast forward to now. Ive had significant shoulder discomfort for quite a while, knew i injured it, but again had to wait on insurance. My shoulder doesnt dislocate or sublux but is very very weak - a 35lb DB totally collapses my arm in any sort of pressing movement.

Went back to see the same doc, he handles the cases and repairs that noone else will touch, and does mostly power lifters and body builders, im in good hands. He remembered me, and immediately said "how bad is it this time?" ....er pitched a bit of humor off the batt and broke my stones, love this guy.

We had a brief discussion and given my history, and what he knows of me we are taking a more aggressive, accelerated approach to the repair process. I initiated this, and he agreed, he knows full well that i just want it fixed. So, with that said, MRI is on 10/13, and surgery is already booked for 10/20. Love it.

Im still laying out my diet/supplement plant. I'll post it when i have it completed. Im a machine with my diet, have no problem eating the same thing everyday, hell, did it for years prior to getting hurt. First and foremost i eat for a purpose and result, secondary is the periodic indulgence, have to live atleast a little bit here and there. I know that i'll definetely be picking up some custom blend protein from truenutrition.com - I saw way to much on there site that i liked. If anyone has recomendations, please share.

Thanks for reading the intro, and i'll be sure to update as things move forward and post op.
The Following User Says Thank You to G21 For This Useful Post:
trip (11-19-2017)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 10-05-2017, 08:00 PM

Thanked 3,780 Times in 3,008 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
great idea for a log! I'm in....
G21 (10-06-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:43 PM
G21 G21 Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

G21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond reputeG21 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, lets get this started - its been way to long.

So, update, surgery was pushed back until 10/24 - scheduling conflict with the surgery center, not ideal but it is what it is.

Surgery itself was uneventful, the procedure was successful. What wasnt, was the nerve block - i am not a fan at all. The nerve block lasted 12hrs, however, it wore off just about instantly without any indication - I wasnt able to get ahead of the ensuing discomfort, and struggled to do so for the next 72 hrs. Further, i seemingly had a complication that is considered "normal" but i wasnt informed of...The surgery was on my right shoulder, so the interscaline block was placed accordingly. The complication i felt was weird and a bit concerning - My right lung felt "numb", best way i can describe it. Taking a deep breath i could feel my left lung inflating as normal, but my right side, while it was filling as normal, had no sensation. One of those things that you would have to experience to understand. Needless to say i wont have a nerve block on my left side in 6-7 months.

Here is the post-op report with surgical findings:

"The biceps tendon and rotator cuff were intact and without tearing. There was minimal fraying of the superior labrum and small flap tear of the posterior labrum. There was no posterior instability. Anteriorly there was a large area of labral tear/detachment and associated instability. The detachment was between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock position on the glenoid rim. In addition to detachment the articular cartilage anteriorly and inferiorly appeared to be undermined adjacent to the labral detachment. This finding was along the rim of the glenoid between 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock and involved approximately 5mm of articular cartilage. Elsewhere the cartilage is intact. The humeral head is free of chondromalacia. There was increased anterior translation of the humeral head on the glenoid and the humeral head nearly dislocatable in the anterior plane.

Four Mitek Gryphon BR ProKnot anchors were placed between 2 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions on the glenoid. One limb of each suture attached to the four anchors was then passed beneath the anterior labrum and across 1-1.5 cm of anterior capsular tissue. After completing the repair the labrum was probed and, good bumper effect was created. Translation was again assessed in the anterior plan and restored to normal."

I was prescribed a cryo-cuff. Loved using it. It was the only way i was able to sleep for the first week. All pain was gone within the first 3-4 days. The only discomfort after that is from the sling itself.

I have pics of the surgery that my doc gave me, just need to scan them and figure out how to upload them. PT starts 11/24 - once i get that RX i'll post it up. My right deltoid, tricep, bicep, and forearm are significantly atrophied, obviously this is to be expected, and will be corrected with PT, but still annoying.

As for diet/supplementation - im eating as many clean calories as i can - lots of fish, lean beef, kale, spinach, eggs etc. I had some protein made from true nutrition that i absolutely love...absolutely zero bloat, great digestability, and great price.

First post op appointment was 10/8. Surgeon was happy all around. I will be getting my PT Rx and suggested protocol on Friday, i'll post it up once i have it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G21 For This Useful Post:
A1food4u (11-16-2017), trip (11-19-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,972 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
glad the surgery was a success man. that cryo-cuff sounds like the tits. Hope you heal up fast

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
G21 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanked 3,780 Times in 3,008 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds great! now do the PT by the letter, you'll be throwing fastballs in no time..lol
G21 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,133 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
Had SLAP tear of both labrums a year apart, looking forward to reading your rehab progress.

The ONLY way I was able to sleep after the surgeries was on a recliner, every position in bed hurt like a mofo.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyD For This Useful Post:
G21 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 PM
TheMuscleMan TheMuscleMan Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

TheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond reputeTheMuscleMan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
Had SLAP tear of both labrums a year apart, looking forward to reading your rehab progress.

The ONLY way I was able to sleep after the surgeries was on a recliner, every position in bed hurt like a mofo.

Good luck!
I slept in a recliner for over a year while I was recovering from my first shoulder surgery, I was in a recliner recovering from my second surgery 3 years later but it only took half the time as the first. It sucked real bad!!! I had tore both bicep long head tendons and both rotator cuff tendons!

Thanks
TMM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMuscleMan For This Useful Post:
G21 (11-23-2017), TommyD (11-23-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:49 AM
trip trip Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,778 Times in 1,469 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
Great Log, Thanks G21

Had similar issues starting in 1998, took 13 doctors to get correct diagnosis.
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, had left done in 01 and right in 02, which is rare.

Basically Middle Scalene Muscle on neck was binding, damaged due to read end car wrecks and bare foot water ski-ing when young. Eventually it rubbed off the mylin on the nerves running through it, and all kinds of problems ensued

I have only 70% usage of left upper body, 100% of right because we did surgery two weeks after injury, versus 7 years.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to trip For This Useful Post:
G21 (11-23-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 08:07 AM
G21 G21 Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
glad the surgery was a success man. that cryo-cuff sounds like the tits. Hope you heal up fast
Jipped - The cryo-cuff was a god send. Simple concept, they give you a sleeve that totally envelops the body part, so for me it covered the entire shoulder and then there is a large neoprene and velcro strap that wrapped around my torso and under my left armpit. The circulates 40 degree water through the cuff and also has a slight squeeze effect. It was incredible, had to give it back but will absolutely get one for my left shoulder in the late spring.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:09 AM
G21 G21 Is Off Line
WCBB Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post

Good luck!
I can totally relate to this. Took two weeks before i could lay down in bed.