World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding and Fitness Training Journals

Bodybuilding and Fitness Training Journals Keep track of your daily training routine. An interactive way to track your progress. Have others follow and help with your progress

Old 08-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Donating Member

cockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond repute
Gentlemen's training log

I'm hoping that keeping a training log and receiving some feedback will help me get to the finish line in reaching my goal.

My quick back story. In 2010 I lost a girlfriend, business, house, and vehicle. I sat in my shit for a long time, and watched my weight balloon to 361 from 240.

In 2012 I had finally had enough, and began to chip away at the weight. 10 pounds here, 10 pounds there. It was easy at first. Just a slight alteration of my shitty eating habits accomplished the first thirty. The next forty weren't terribly hard either. Better eating along with re-taking up the iron and some swimming brought me to 290.

Now, it's gotten difficult. I'm pushing hard and am motivated as ever, but the weight loss has slowed. I'm 283-289 for a couple months now. It's not all bad. I've learned there is such a thing as recomp as Im in better shape and carry more lean mass than I ever have, but with this wide waist it's hard to put it on display outside of tank tops.

I've recently started to log my meals on my fitness pal, so I will copy and paste them here as well as log my workouts.

I've been playing with my calorie levels recently and trying to hone in on my maintenance level. I also need to find an appropriate amount of cardio for this calorie level. I think I recently took my calories too low, and along with lots of cardio, must have put my body in starvation mode. Following your plan to a tee, and watching the scale stop moving, (actually go up slightly) is a real killer.

Therefore, I thought gentlemen's training log was in order. (Plus it sounds a lot classier than cockswoles log). Please don't hesitate to give me your input as I try to ride this thing home.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cockswole_gentlemen For This Useful Post:
millenium girl (08-24-2016), trip (09-04-2016), wanabe (04-25-2017)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Thanked 3,731 Times in 2,969 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
Great way to get to that goal. I'll be watching
cockswole_gentlemen (08-21-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Donating Member

cockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond reputecockswole_gentlemen has a reputation beyond repute
I've been weight training 4 times per week using this split:
Chest/biceps
Back/triceps
Shoulders/biceps
Legs/triceps

The second of the arm workouts are more of a lighter, pump style, while my main workouts are somewhat DC style. I usually give myself a little more time between sets, and often I will do a drop or strip set in the final set.

I'm working out at around 12:15 am, right after I'm finished with work. I don't go in until 2pm, si my mornings are typically available for cardio. I've done some fasted cardio sessions in the am, but haven't seen a lot of results yet.

My limitations: hip...i made a post on DMSO which I'm using in it and it feels better, but there are limits. I haven't squatted in a couple years, but using the DMSO and getting a cortisone shot every now and then, I am able to do leg presses.

I have a crunchy right shoulder. I hurt it 25 years ago and never did anything about it. I'm assuming it's scar tissue. It became such a problem that I had to drop all pressing movements for a long time. I re-discovered dips during this time, and they have become a staple of my training.

I've been able to incorporate a shoulder press for the last few months with no issues. I perform them behind the head, as to the front irritates my shoulder.

Outside of these limitations I am in relatively good health at age 42.
The Following User Says Thank You to cockswole_gentlemen For This Useful Post:
A1food4u (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,048 Times in 3,202 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
DC style is great for strength. However, it is not really going to help you drop weight. The amount of time you spend working out is minimal compared to other routines. That being said, it is still my favorite style. Just do not count on it to lose some weight. Focus on your cardio being at least 45 minutes unless you plan to do some HIT. I would also do cardio as soon as you wake up and remember to eat afterwards to get the metabolism rolling. How tall are you and what is caloric intake?
wanabe (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 03:35 AM
Donating Member

GF, I'm 5'11" and I'm trying to find that correct calorie amount. 1900 seemed to stop any progress. I'm playing in the 2300 range now.

Fitness pal doesn't format well copy and paste, but here are today's macros...

2,399 171 76 224
Cal. Carb. Fat. Protein

AM workout- 35 minute walk on treadmill on incline 9. Gf, i will up that to 45 on your recommendation. This was fasted after waking.

Pm workout.
Pec deck- 2 warm-up sets then
210/15+7+5
165/10

Hammer chest press
135/14+6. Won't push this much farther. My shoulder was arguing. But with pre-exhausting the pecs, I was near failure anyway.

Preacher curls
75/16+8+6
The Following User Says Thank You to cockswole_gentlemen For This Useful Post:
wanabe (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 03:51 AM
Donating Member

[IMG]://[/IMG]

This is a picture from tonight. scale at 290.2. I'm wide in the waist. Wearing a 42 pants size currently.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 AM

Thanked 3,731 Times in 2,969 Posts
A1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond reputeA1food4u has a reputation beyond repute
On the advice of good gentlemen here I have stopped all barbell pressing movements. I had tweaked a shoulder and had tried lightening the load and working longer sets and it wasn't working, but since switching to all dumbbell pressing movements id say its 80% better.

Not sure whether that is helpful info or not, I've seen lots of different styled machines so don't know if yours works off of independent arm movement or if they lock the shoulders in a stressful plain.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Donating Member

A1, I've tried some dumbbell movements over the years and seem to stray away from them. Seems I've always had to compensate for my messed up shoulder. Dumbell movements were just painful, be it shoulder press, bench press, or even flyes.

I'm guessing my stabilizer muscles are weak as I've always relied on the structure of a fixed plane of a machine or smith machine. I always seemed to be able to warm up and work through the pain with a machine movement.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 4,048 Times in 3,202 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, 1900 calories is way too low for a guy your size. I think 2300-2500 you will see some good results. Make sure you are getting in really good warm-up sets while doing DC training, especially with a jacked up shoulder.
cockswole_gentlemen (08-23-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 AM
Donating Member

Today's macros....
2,579 200 95 256
Cal. Carbs. Fat. Protein

AM workout
35 minutes fasted on elliptical. Was going to bump up to 45, but didn't leave myself enough time.

The inclined treadmill I did Monday reeked havoc on my calves. I gimped around all day.

PM workout
Hammer pull downs
2 warm ups then...
160/17+9+6
110/12

Cable triceps pull from behind head
120/17+9+6
100/9

Vertical row machine
180/15+8+5

I feel pretty beat up and was hungry most of the day today. Tomorrow cardio, no weights.