World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Articles By Author > Iron Addicts Articles

Iron Addicts Articles A collection of great bodybuilding articles written by the man himself.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Valkyrie Valkyrie Is Off Line
Chica

Valkyrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongarm View Post
Are romanian deads the same as stiff leg's ?
No...I argue this quite often with people.

With SLDL you have a 'straighter' leg stance, and a narrower grip (inside the hips) extend down lower and you allow the bar to 'swing out' a bit away from the body. Almost touching the floor.

With the Romanians you should have a slightly bent knee, wider grip (Outside the hip) and only go down about mid-shin. (To keep the stress on the hams I personally resist the urge to 'lock out' at the top, this is my preference though.)

Basically, once you start a smooth pull from the middle of the shins go up (be sure your shoulders are pulled back and not rounded) and then control the release back down. Keep the bar close to your body going up and going down. If you were to look side-ways in a mirror while doing Romanians verses SLDL you will see your hips go back a bit further with Romanians. (That is because you control the bar path in Romanians, have a wider grip and have slightly bent knees which all help keep the hams engaged throughout the lift.) Again, keep the bar close to your body. Do not set the bar down or reset it.

BTW...the only reason to do Romanians off a box is to prevent the 45's from touching the floor.

~ Searching for the valiant souls ~
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 05-23-2010, 05:50 PM
Valkyrie Valkyrie Is Off Line
Chica

Valkyrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
IA what is your opinion of hip thrusts? YouTube - DeFrancosGym.com - Exercise Index: Supine Hip Thrust (feet & shoulders elevated) Started these several weeks back and LOVE them, you just add a barbell across your hips for resistance and you can do them unilateral as well.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I've been holding off adding GHR's back into my training since fracturing my hip last summer. I'll be adding these into my routine shortly.

~ Searching for the valiant souls ~
Old 05-31-2010, 04:31 PM
BB2K BB2K Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

BB2K is on a distinguished road
ok, this may be a dumb question but whats the difference in romanian deads and sldl? I cant lock out my right knee.. 4 knee surgeries left me a tad handicapped..i always thought they were the same..?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 18,851 Times in 10,956 Posts
basskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond reputebasskiller has a reputation beyond repute
I believe the difference is in the romanian deadlift you slide the bar down your leg which pushes your hips further back than in the stiff legged version.

Minor differences but huge when your talking about knee problems

I'll post a pretty good article I have

W C B B Sponsors
Southern Sarms
Egg Whites International

.. Any advice given on this board is just an opinion and not to be taken as medical advice. WCBB doesn't advocate or condone use of steroids. Check the laws in your country. WCBB just provides the platform in which to discuss such matters
Old 05-31-2010, 05:40 PM
BB2K BB2K Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

BB2K is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by basskiller View Post
I believe the difference is in the romanian deadlift you slide the bar down your leg which pushes your hips further back than in the stiff legged version.

Minor differences but huge when your talking about knee problems

I'll post a pretty good article I have
ok good, i am 30% disabled in my right knee, i cant lock it out so i assume the romanian would be best. I will start doing romanian, pull throughs and reverse hack squats for hams.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Scott Scott Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

Scott is on a distinguished road
I definitely prefer SLDLs and good mornings for building the hams, but I still throw in a couple of sets of seated leg curls (or ham glute raises if I am ambitious) to finish them off. I had stopped doing them for a few months, but then an MMA instructor indicated they are a good exercise for developing leg grappling strength. I don't do MMA but decided to put them back in the workouts anyway.

I like the seated version of the leg curl as it puts the hamstrings into a pre-stretched position, so they get worked harder, and also to ease the back strain that Millenium Girl referred to that results from lying leg curls.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
layed layed Is Off Line
Lifetime Member

layed is on a distinguished road
wow....I've been out of it too long.....what are pull throughs?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
tacoman tacoman Is Off Line
Hi! I'm New Here!

tacoman is on a distinguished road
I am by no means at the advanced level but I think extensions (but off the seat working the tear drops) and leg curls (preferably lying curls or better yet dumbbell lying leg curls) defiantly have there place.

I am not saying they replace squats/hacks/leg presses or sl deads or sumo press but they are great to pre exhaust- superset- or even more wide range of intensity applications ala rest pause, drop sets, half reps like mountaindog style
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,997 Posts
MR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond reputeMR. BMJ has a reputation beyond repute
I forgot about pull-throughs....I need to add them in.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM
youngblood youngblood Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

youngblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant futureyoungblood has a brilliant future
never done pull-throughs . cannot squat heavy cause i am old and back is bad. i do good mornings, hack squats and 1-legged lunches off a 12 inch box which burns. also do those tom platz squats without weights where you stand next to something and hold on with one arm and youlean back and squat downmore on the sole of your footputting pressure on the quads then come up. i donot know what that exercise is called but i will try and find out.anyway it hurts good too

Last edited by youngblood; 06-07-2012 at 01:23 PM.