World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Survival food - hunting - hydroponics

Shoutbox

Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line
Donating Member

Thanked 3,533 Times in 2,785 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I was thinking a .25-06... a necked-down .30-06. One of the flatest rifles I ever shot. I don't remember the round (a hand load). But, less than an inch drop at 200 yards. And at a fraction of the kick of the .30-06 I was sighting in at the time.
I just did a quick search for the 6.5. Did you know you can get that in an AR? That would be a sweet operator.... unit 1
You can get it in an AR, but to me you lose too much of the capability of the round in the semi-auto. It is really designed for a bolt action rifle.

I like the .25-06 too except for one thing, weight. They are varmint rifles and weigh a damn ton. Granted I rocked in the forend of my 6.5 and filled the buttstock with silicone gel to balance the gun and add about a pound, but it is still about three pounds lighter than those varmint .25-06's.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM
gorilla34 gorilla34 Is Off Line
Community Veteran

gorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond reputegorilla34 has a reputation beyond repute
.243 is great of the 'yotes. Or a plethora of other varmit guns but like GF said some of those are heavy as hell since you are making long shots. Big heavy fluted barrels. I had a .204 that wasn't too heavy and was fun as hell.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:38 PM
WCBB Veteran

Dakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
Nice brother. If you end up buying another rifle later on down the road I would suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor over the .270. Only down fall is ammunition is a little more expensive.
There is a man that knows an excellent round. My new favoritest caliber ever. I LOVE that way that thing shoots. So flat you have very little drop to consider even way out there. Dropped a big whitetail in Nebraska last year and a Good Muley the year before both over 300 yards. You can put your groups in 3 1/2 inch circle at that range even for the average shooter.

I got my first muley with a muzzle loader the year before that! A little more work on that one.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanked 2,966 Times in 2,271 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Nice with the muzzle loader Dakota. I have shot muzzle loading pistols but never a rifle. My neighbor hunts Wyoming with a muzzle loader (only stamp he can get is what he says)

Also never shot a 6.5 creedmore. I hear it is great.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:42 PM
Donating Member

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
I have been using 142 grain Hornady SSTs with 33.5 grains of IMR 4166 for the 6.5 Creedmoor and have to say it is hands down the most accurate round I have ever fired. The barrel warmed up after a couple shots, since IMR is so damn hot, and off the sled I was shooting groups at a 100 yards you could cover with a penny.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 AM

jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetic Freak View Post
I have been using 142 grain Hornady SSTs with 33.5 grains of IMR 4166 for the 6.5 Creedmoor and have to say it is hands down the most accurate round I have ever fired. The barrel warmed up after a couple shots, since IMR is so damn hot, and off the sled I was shooting groups at a 100 yards you could cover with a penny.
Wow, I am not that good. at 100 yards I could maybe put them in a soda can with an occasional flyer. I need to get some pro training with a rifle. I have done it for pistols and it improved my shooting immensely.

Is creedmore too much for deer in Texas? they are little more than a fair sized dog.

most guys here use either a bigger slower round, or a small fast round like a .243.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 AM
Donating Member

Jipped the sled is a bench, so it is really cheating. However, it is really the only way to tell how accurate your rifle really is, since you take out all the confounding variables. When I shoot without a bench I am shooting 1.25-1.50 inch groups. Not far off from you. The 6.5 is perfect for Texas-sized deer. It is a .264 caliber round, so bigger than the .243 and smaller than the .270. It is the best of both worlds. Mine are shooting around 2650 fps, but you can get up to 3000 fps with a 120 grain round.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 AM

thanks man, I have been wanting to go shoot a deer. My pop's in law gives us meat but i would rather get my own. I do not even have a hunting rifle. been doing preliminary research. I think you have convinced me to go 6.5 as I was resigned to a .243.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:54 PM
WCBB Veteran

Dakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
thanks man, I have been wanting to go shoot a deer. My pop's in law gives us meat but i would rather get my own. I do not even have a hunting rifle. been doing preliminary research. I think you have convinced me to go 6.5 as I was resigned to a .243.
The creedmore is more versital, I think you will be happier with it if you don't mind the price tag. Speedy but worth it IMO.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
Two things I haven't seen mentioned so far....

Jack O'Connor & Long action vs Short Action

Jack O'Connor was to outdoor writing and rifle hunting, what Fred Bear was to Archery.
He killed every type of game animal on the continent with a .270. When hunting bear or moose, he preferred a 30-06. He has written libraries full of books extolling the virtues of the .270.

Jack was right. The .270 is so versatile, that it can be a do-all for the modern hunter. When we talk about this round vs that round, and one beats the other by 120fps....do you know how much that matters? It only counts when misjudging a target's distance, and when taking a cartridge past its intended range, as that applies to downrange kinetic energy, and the ability of the round to make a one shot lethal stop on a game animal.

Having said that, the only .270 I won is a Kimber in .270 WSM. The round is awesome, and you can pick up ammo everywhere.
Also, if I am taking game animals (not targets), I prefer something with over 100gr bullet. I really like 120gr and up....which kind of kills the .243.
Don't misunderstand me though, the .243 has taken a world of game. It's flat, accurate, and fun to shoot. Ammo is readily available everywhere you go. Recoil is (depending on the rifle itself) mild enough that many of us started our youth hunting with a .243.
Sometimes, you have an anomaly that occurs with a round, and you no longer like using it. I have been in the field when a deer was hit with a .243, and the bullet must have failed outside the body. Obvious "whack," no hair or blood in an open field. no slow down of the animal. I've also seen a .257 Roberts (which I dearly love, and place above the .243) not end a 150 class whitetail at 50 yards, with a good shot (Marine Corp rifle team shooter). It rolled the deer over and we found hair. Really strange outcome.

Having said that, I've taken wild boar and whitetail with : .223, .221 fireball, 22 Hornet, and many boar have fallen to a 22 magnum. So weird stuff sometimes happens.

Short vs Long action>>>>
How big of a rifle do you want? What do you plan to do with it on your average day with the rig? Short actions are a whole lot of fun. Smaller, lighter packages, that can typically hold more ammo. Cost of shooting plays a role here as well. Typically, the more powder in the case, the more it costs to shoot.

As for the 6.5, we have had one for several years, and it is a freaking laser beam. It's flat and hits where you point it. the popularity of the round has exploded for those very reasons. Now everyone thinks they can buy a 6.5 and are a sniper.lol
Don't rule out something like the .308 for a short action. You can load lightweight bullets or heavy ones (accuracy depending on your barrel twist rate of course), but you have lots of options with the ole girl.

Sorry for rambling, but this is the kind of thing i love.