World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding Discussion forum

Shoutbox

Bodybuilding Discussion forum Worldclassbodybuilding Adult Bodybuilding forum dedicated to the discussion of bodybuilding training and weightlifting advice

Old 01-30-2019, 04:54 PM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
Help my biceps grow!

I've never had really good biceps. My arms get bigger but I'd like to get that nice half round sweep to my bi's. I know everyone is different but has anyone nailed a good way to make them grow?

Do they respond better to lighter weight and higher reps, or low reps and heavy? How many sets? Do I burn the shit out of them and do more sets?

I mix it up and do regular curls, reverse curls, preacher curls,hammer curls. Looking for a magic bullet if there is one... Lol. Synthol is not an option... Lol.

What sucks the most is that the curling bars at Planet Shitness only go up to 60 f*cking pounds! So outside of doing 25 reps or so with those, I'm relegated to dumbells, cables, and machines... Bleh.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 PM
WCBB Veteran

FBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond reputeFBL has a reputation beyond repute
Evening, Penn.
I’ll take a crack at it. For growth and what helped me get that peak at the bottom when I connect to my elbow and forearm, I ditched the Curling bar and went seated dumbbell. No cheating minus a little rocking when I get heavy to squeeze them out. Try Sitting at an incline and doing curls with a lighter weight after you get the heavy compound dB curls out the way and slow reps fighting down the negatives.
Then I blow up with one arm preacher curls on the bench standing behind the in-line and do a drop set per arm. So say you’re curling the 60’s standing behind the bench, rep them out to 10 if you can then drop to a 35 or 40 and pump them but make sure to get that stretch down at the bottom. Then get the cables and get the tricep double rope and do 21’s with that standing and do a triple drop set but don’t count reps. We know 15 is a high number and your. Dog gets tired nearing a high number mentally. So do them until you can’t. Controlled and slow. Maybe it’s a lot but I only hit arms once a week and since I focused on beating the hell out them instead of compound BB or curling bar, they’ve totally stood out. And do not lag on tricep day. Kill the tri’s and go heavy with skull crushers and the rope. Drops sets as much as you can. Arms are the one thing I literally had to not take a methodical approach and just wear them out to make them stand out. Always had big arms but to sculpt them, I just had to throw the rules out the window and not worry about overtraining them and it helped me. The way I see it is, if you had to do it everyday for money it wouldn’t be overtraining it would be work. Nobody wants to have to fight a concrete worker or brick mason. . Some of them don’t even lift and look otherworldly. If a body part is lagging on me, I will hit it everyday for a few weeks to kinda stimulate it to trick my body. Chest being the main culprit. Now with working arms, don’t neglect maintaining a strong grip or forearm splints may sneak up on you. Correct that with farmers walks or if you can deadlift, please do. I’m sure you know this already but it’s good to brush up on it as we all forget stuff as we go along and get into a routine.

Last edited by FBL; 01-30-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 PM
WCBB Veteran

Dakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond reputeDakota has a reputation beyond repute
My go to for getting a peak is preacher curls for sure. To just stimulate growth dumbell or barbell curls until you can't hold form any more and then keep going by cheating them up and cheat more and then cheat more until you are just swinging the weights up and your bis are completely thrashed.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 AM
Community Veteran

Dawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant futureDawgpound_Hank has a brilliant future
I start with my heavy work for medium reps and work on down to lighter weights for higher reps to end off with a killa pump. Keep in mind the bicep has 2 heads, along with the brachialis , which makes your arms appear thicker when viewed like when hanging at your sides from the front. You need to hit them all for complete development. Forget shape - that can't be changed. One other thing is your biceps will "appear" to have more shape/peak when your bf is low.

1 - Barbell curl - 20, 12, 10*, 8*
2 - DB Hammer curls - 12, 10*, 10*
3 - One arm DB preacher curls - 15, 15*, 12*
4 - High cable curls (like preparing to do cable crossovers for chest, with arms out stretched, curl them to your head) - 2 x 21's*

* = worksets, all else is warm-ups/feel-sets (you don't kill yourself on these - just to get the feel of the exercise & get some blood in there to prevent injury on your work sets).

While that's the jist of my bicep routine, I sometimes will sub barbell curls with db curls, sub preacher curls with seated db incline curls, and sub high cable curls with db concentration curls (but still 21's). But I always do some form of hammer curl to hit that very important outside of the arm.

I hit bi's once ew with tri's. If you want them to grow, prioritize them.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 AM
Community Veteran

Pen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond reputePen Sillman has a reputation beyond repute
I like the sound of all that FBL and Dakota. Think I'm going to try those out. I've always been big on not overtraining but I think its time to try some new approaches. Thanks guys :)
Old 02-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanked 3,146 Times in 2,412 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
For me I only do 2 drop sets of biceps as in my sport they are just beach muscles. But I have some big peaks for a skinny guy like me. So about 40-60 reps per total. Depends on how far I drop but time under tension is very high compared to banging out curls quickly.

When I curl, any exercise, I focus on flexing while curling. When I get to the point i feel my biceps are at maximum tension, I hold it for a 3-5 count, then get the slow negative.

Also I like doing cables as I can step back so the cable is at a 45 degree angle from my body when I am at the top, the weight is not sitting on vertical arms but pulling back against my flex.

I think a lot of people over train biceps. they are small muscles and I am pre-fatigued when I do them with back after my sets of pullups and chin ups, rows and such.

A lot of good info in this thread fellas.
The Following User Says Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
FBL (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 04:50 PM
WCBB Veteran

b52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond reputeb52 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of good points being made. Like FBL stated is isolate the bicep. Use a preacher bench, incline db curls. I'll put my back against a wall and do db or ez bar curls as well. Also don't extend your arms all the way down. This takes the tension off the bicep. Still go 95% of the way just don't get to the point where your arms are extended fully. Try 21's. Those are a killer. I've kinda had to take a lighter approach myself due to tendonitis, so I had to find ways to really isolate the bicep without putting too much strain on them. Whether your bicep peaks or not is completely genetic. Some guys have big arms but their biceps don't pop like other guys because of this. Mine do not. I wish they did, but it's not that big of a deal. Gotta work with what you got.
The Following User Says Thank You to b52 For This Useful Post:
FBL (02-05-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Community Veteran

Lizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond reputeLizard King has a reputation beyond repute
Set's of 7's or 21's always worked for me. Did these with a straight bar with 10lbs at the end. Copied the below so I didn't have to type, it's with dumb bells which I have never used for this :)

Quote:
Grasp a dumbbell in each hand and stand or sit holding the dumbbell at arm’s length at your sides with your palms facing forward. Curl your arms upward, stopping halfway when your forearms are parallel to the floor, and then lower back down to the starting position. Complete seven repetitions of this movement and without stopping, curl the weight all the way up to your shoulders, then back down, stopping halfway. Complete seven repetitions of this partial movement. Finish with seven more repetitions of dumbbell curls using a full range of motion. The full range of motion starts with your arms fully extended and finishes with the dumbbells at your shoulders and elbows fully flexed. Keep your elbows tucked into your sides throughout the entire exercise to isolate the biceps.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 AM
Community Veteran

Good stuff guys. More than enough to get me going. Pretty sure from what I'm reading that I've been under training. Gonna blast them this week using some of the suggestions.

I'm sure some of it has to do with my genetics, but that's not gonna stop me from maximizing what I got. Thanks for all the advice.