World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Medical and Physical Therapy questions

Shoutbox

Medical and Physical Therapy questions A place to talk about current and or past injuries and possibly how to deal with those injuries. Any advice should not be considered as medical advice, but rather from one person to another as you might ask a friend.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 PM
alpineslide alpineslide Is Off Line
AKA LUNATIC

Thanked 1,098 Times in 764 Posts
alpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond repute
Suprascapular Nerve Impingment.

I've been having shoulder issues for the past 6 weeks. I believe the problem was caused by the act of positioning heavy dumbells for DB military presses.
For a while it was just painful, strength didn't drop much and it didn't hurt anymore to lift than it did to sit in a chair. Over the past few weeks my strength has dropped drastically....50 pounds on BP type movement including close grips.

Based on everything I'm reading it looks like suprascapular nerve impingment.

Does anyone have any experience with this ? Should I be going to my primary care doctor, a chiropractor, or a physical therapist ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2- time WCBB Fantasy Football League Champion 2014 & 2016
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 AM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,048 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
Personally I'd be talking to a PT. Adoc will tell you to stop doing what you are doing after dinging you for xrays and maybe an MRI and possibly give you a bunch of meds to chew. Chiro MAY be helpful if they take xrays, they've helped me with adjustments. I say a PT because they deal with movement and obstructions to movement with gentle rom movements to assess possible sticking points that cause pain.

good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyD For This Useful Post:
alpineslide (05-21-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,373 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
yup, I had two surgeries, you can search thoracic outlet syndrome

depends on how and why nerves are impinged

phyciatrist muscle doctor he can do emg find out which nerves

is it both sides or one

stop lifting it won't get better, you are rubbing off the coating of the nerves, mylin, cells and they aren't firing electronically,

u don't want to damage nerves beyond repair, since ur early no big issues
The Following User Says Thank You to trip For This Useful Post:
alpineslide (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
AKA LUNATIC

alpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond reputealpineslide has a reputation beyond repute
I have an appointment with a PT Friday. We'll see how it goes.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Lumpy Moderator

Thanked 4,495 Times in 2,845 Posts
Glycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond reputeGlycomann has a reputation beyond repute
I have some undiagnosed problem in my left shoulder blade where it goes numb and goes out of place sometimes. I stretch and use heat, drop weight in my pressing and upright pulling movements and then stretch more. Most people dismiss the idea of stretching. To simple. Couldn't possibly help. What works is pills and surgery right?
Old 05-23-2014, 09:47 PM
AKA LUNATIC

I went to the Physical Therapist today. He said I have a C6 impingement based upon where the numbness in my arm is located. He said that was caused by the radial nerve if I remember correctly. He gave a me a series of stretches and rotator cuff exercises to do. I also have an issue with my supraspinatus muscle. I asked him about my original theory...a suprascapular nerve impingement. He said that was also possible, but the stretches and exercises I'll be doing will help with that as well.

My strength has continued to slide. Prior to the injury I was doing close grip BP with 255 x 8 with a pause at the bottom. I just barely got 175 x 8. This drop in strength occurred in 5- 6 weeks. I've been training throughout. It's no more painful to lift than it is to sit in a chair.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:17 PM
AKA LUNATIC

Another thing I've learned is that the loss in strength is related to the tricep muscle. With a weight that my right arm can easily manage 20 reps in a single arm extension movement my left arm can't do a single rep.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Community Veteran

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Glad you got it figured out. Now I gotta start stretching more.....simular issues with my shoulder
Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,373 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
pt, only made it worse for me, the stretching and rotation, just caused the nerves to continue to rub and wear off the mylin on the cell

same issue, even to this day with two surgeries, since the first took 3.5 yrs to correctly diagnose, I have 80% nerves, right two weeks, 100%, thus I get to x weight total failure, about 20% less than right