World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Medical and Physical Therapy questions

Shoutbox

Medical and Physical Therapy questions A place to talk about current and or past injuries and possibly how to deal with those injuries. Any advice should not be considered as medical advice, but rather from one person to another as you might ask a friend.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Geo53 Geo53 Is Off Line
Lifetime Member

Geo53 is on a distinguished road
Cervical Discs

Looking for advice/strength training exercises that work around my c6 and c7 bulging discs. First diagnosed in 2010. 45 years with no issues, 4 years of managing this problem successfully until 2 weeks ago I started having severe pain radiating out to the left shoulder. This time the pain stopped there, no arm or hand tingling/numbness. Dr says fusion or disc replacement will relieve my symptoms. But that creates other issues going forward that most likely will require more surgical procedures to correct. If all else fails I will give in. Squats, Deadlifts and OH Presses are the basis of my workouts, have been for 45 years. I am reluctant to give them up.
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,373 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
check out thoracic outlet syndrome

sometimes it is not the disc

there is a muscle on sides of both necks, all ur nerves pass thru it, if you have had some rear end car crashes, or face plants, those muscles in neck get scared and impinge on nerve wear off the mylin of nerves and everything goes to hell
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 AM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,048 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
Do you notice any difference on days you do vs don't do oh presses? Bad form can translate into neck strain, especially anything like a pull down behind the head. Have someone that knows training evaluate your form.

I don't do anything behind the head for exercises anymore, don' do much overhead either, shoulders ache for days. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Geo53 Geo53 Is Off Line
Lifetime Member

Geo53 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies. I know it is the discs as the MRI shows conclusive evidence of spinal cord impingement. Essentially the spinal cord looks like a half moon at the c5,c6,c7 vertebrae. I have never done nor will ever do anything that is "behind the neck". I was hoping that someone on this board has or has had similar issues and was good at making them a non factor when lifting. At my age, 60, I deal with enough pain from the aging process, this crap is a real nuisance.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,653 Times in 1,373 Posts
trip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond reputetrip has a reputation beyond repute
i'm 54, went thru my stuff in 1998-2002

13 doctors, my mri wasn't that good, but it's one of those things, it could have been there forever

I use machines, low-medium, hi reps, rotate stuff, don't do any of the old.....push thru the pain, pain nyet.............let it settle come back in a week see where i'm at

I can pull from over head no issues, pushing above, hands past ears bad idea

u might want to try getting an eem, where they put electrical stimulus impulses on hands arms and necks, that way they can identify what is working and what is not specifically and in conjuction with mri, clearer picture

also, physiatrist, muscle doctors.........tend to be more homeopathic

hoped that helped
good luck
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM
TommyD TommyD Is Off Line
Community Veteran

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,048 Posts
TommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond reputeTommyD has a reputation beyond repute
A bunch of us old farts here, we can relate.....
Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Community Veteran

gotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond reputegotgame has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo53 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I know it is the discs as the MRI shows conclusive evidence of spinal cord impingement. Essentially the spinal cord looks like a half moon at the c5,c6,c7 vertebrae. I have never done nor will ever do anything that is "behind the neck". I was hoping that someone on this board has or has had similar issues and was good at making them a non factor when lifting. At my age, 60, I deal with enough pain from the aging process, this crap is a real nuisance.
If you still have the report take a look at what it says regarding the cord. If its just flattening of the ventral thecal space which will account for " half moon" you talked about but if in the MRI they talk about increased STIR signal in the cord itself you need to take that seriously.

What you are describing isnt really cord issues and more likely nerve root issues. There are times to be conservative and times to take decisive action. Knowing the differences is important.
DISCLAIMER: Medical information is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.