World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Supplement Discussion forums

Shoutbox

Supplement Discussion forums Everything you want to know about supplements. Discussion forums for bodybuilding supplements regarding muscle gain and weight loss

Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Thanked 3,001 Times in 2,302 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Have you forgotten about ALA for body building?

If you are like me you have. dogpound hank reminded me it was in the original celltech creatine supp that worked great (and as hank reminisced it might of had d-bol in it)

Anyway, I used to take it religiously with my post workout shake and 50 grams of dextrose. It mimics insulin and increases insulin sensitivity. It is a strong antioxidant, is good for the heart and vascular system supports your ole liver and much more.

"Awwww jippy, that is a lot to read........"

I pared it down from the original article for ya. And of course included the refs at the bottom if you want to check out the work yourself.

"Research has shown that supplementation with ALA is beneficial for general health in various ways. For instance, in supplement form, it is associated with decreased risks for heart disease, liver disease and diabetes mellitus. [1]

Alpha lipoic acid is also considered a nootropic that helps to slow down neurological decline with aging.

According to the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMM), most of the benefits associated with ALA stem from its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. [2]"

"Research shows that ALA mimics insulin and enhances glucose utilization in the cells. It also supports healthy blood-glucose levels.

Alpha lipoic acid improves the transport of amino acids and other nutrients through the bloodstream. In doing so, it helps muscles absorb more available creatine, a nitrogenous organic compound that helps cells to remain energized. [1]

It is critical for mitochondrial energy metabolism, and for protecting the cells from damage from oxygen, radiation and free radicals. Taking alpha lipoic acid for bodybuilding"

"Alpha lipoic acid increases the capacity of muscle tissue to take up glycogen and burn it for energy.

Glycogen is a polysaccharide that forms glucose when it is broken down by water in a process called hydrolysis. It is the form in which glucose is stored in our cells.

Glycogen metabolism increases the volume of muscle cells, leading to fuller, harder muscular “pumps”. [3]

According to Linus Pauling Institute, increasing the amount of glycogen in muscles also helps to facilitate the transport of nutrients needed to fuel muscle growth. [1]

Using ALA for bodybuilding is not thought to induce thermogenic effects, but it does seem to favorably contribute to healthy changes in body composition.

Researchers believe that ALA helps to channel available nutrients in the blood to lean muscle tissue instead of fat tissue.

Alpha lipoic acid is helpful for increasing the efficacy of some other dietary supplements. ALA is commonly used in conjunction with creatine and/or L-carnitine. It provides transportation of important nutrients into muscle cells by mimicking insulin. [4]

Alpha lipoic acid is a very important antioxidant. It directly scavenges reactive oxygen species (ROS). It also is uniquely able to restore function to other antioxidant compounds that have been neutralized. ALA enhances the effects of other antioxidants, like vitamin C, vitamin E and glutathione for instance.

According to 2015 research from the University of Nebraska, bodybuilders who use alpha lipoic acid supplements may decrease their risks of bone loss over time. ALA inhibits the formation of osteoclastogenic ROS, and upregulates the expression of the redox gene. [5]"

Linus Pauling Institute
University of Maryland Medical Center
Mike Hajoway Alpha Lipoic Acid: A True Anti-Oxidant!
Burke DG1, Chilibeck PD, Parise G, Tarnopolsky MA, Candow DG. Effect of alpha-lipoic acid combined with creatine monohydrate on human skeletal muscle creatine and phosphagen concentration. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2003 Sep;13(3):294-302.
Roberts JL1, Moreau R2. Emerging role of alpha-lipoic acid in the prevention and treatment of bone loss. Nutr Rev. 2015 Feb;73(2):116-25. doi: 10.1093/nutrit/nuu005.
Okanovi? A1, Prnjavorac B2, Jusufovi? E3, Sejdinovi? R4. Alpha-lipoic acid reduces body weight and regulates triglycerides in obese patients with diabetes mellitus. Med Glas (Zenica). 2015 Aug;12(2):122-7. doi: 10.17392/798-15.
Li Z1, Dungan CM, Carrier B, Rideout TC, Williamson DL. Alpha-lipoic acid supplementation reduces mTORC1 signaling in skeletal muscle from high fat fed, obese Zucker rats. Lipids. 2014 Dec;49(12):1193-201. doi: 10.1007/s11745-014-3964-x. Epub 2014 Nov 1.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jipped genes For This Useful Post:
basskiller  (04-26-2018), Dawgpound_Hank (04-27-2018), MetalatWork (04-26-2018), q-ball (04-26-2018), wanabe (06-05-2018)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 04-26-2018, 02:54 PM
Community Veteran

BUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond reputeBUBBA289 has a reputation beyond repute
I take Na-R-Ala daily. Makes a great addition to a pre-WO mix. Great pumps and vascularity.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Community Veteran

q-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond reputeq-ball has a reputation beyond repute
Dosages?

I haven't used ALA in years but after reading this I'm going to add it to my routine
Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Thanked 3,001 Times in 2,302 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by q-ball View Post
Dosages?

I haven't used ALA in years but after reading this I'm going to add it to my routine

start at 250mg and work up. it can cause heartburn if you take it on an empty stomach, or maybe that is just me. I worked up to 600mg and that is a sweet spot for me. Add ALA to a vasodilator and your veins will pop like ropes like bubba said.

good stuff.

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 AM
The Flannel wearing Catnut!

3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute3Vandoo has a reputation beyond repute
It is me or ALA or RALA became rarer and quantity offering sucks