World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements HideMyAss
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Firearms and other weapons

Shoutbox

Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 PM
rocketw19 rocketw19 Is Off Line
Community Veteran

rocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond reputerocketw19 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by acneman View Post
I have seen tutorials on how to make railroad track more like an anvil. i have a harbor freight anvil that gets badmouthed a lot. 50lbs i think, maybey 70

ok lot of smiths are saying no circular saw blades will make good knives. i have a crap load of files i have bought at garage sales but we are talking forging again and not stock removal. i am going to see a girl in the country this weekend so i might look for some found metal that will fit the bill while im up there. i found a bucket of railroad spikes up there for free so you never know.

i can buy anealed flat stock of known blade steel for not too much, will have to be heat treated but a known quantity, or i can check at the salvage yard to see what can be found.

what do you guys think?
just my opinion but I would go with known steel other than just trying some unknown steel out.

I dont know jack about making knives but I love that show forged in fire. I also have a few hand made knives from guys that I paid a lot of money for, lol who knows I might be buying one from you next.

cant wait to see this good luck.
acneman (03-31-2017)
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 03-31-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm really Gotgame Jr... you can call me Nogame!

Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,337 Posts
acneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketw19 View Post
just my opinion but I would go with known steel other than just trying some unknown steel out.

I dont know jack about making knives but I love that show forged in fire. I also have a few hand made knives from guys that I paid a lot of money for, lol who knows I might be buying one from you next.

all of a sudden money is tighter than usual. i know steel is cheep but dang money is tight.

i would have to make a lot of knives before i would consider selling one, even if i was instantly good at it lol

forged in fire renewed my interest in knife making.

20 years ago i made an aluminum knife that was exactly the same dimensions as my police model spiderco. my friends and i were deep into knife fighting at that time. i even bought a cheap knock off endura for 2 bucks at the flea market and made an aluminum blade for it.

a friend of mine was making knives back then and we talked about it but he was trying to make a living at it and was not interested in teaching me. i havent talked to him in at least 18 yeaars. maybe he is not making knives anymore but still has the equipment. i need to look him up. he had a few bouts on espn iska in the 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSarge View Post
I like guns and acneman...:)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Acne, your troll is epic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glycomann View Post
You are deranged. The worst on the board. Seek help.

Last edited by acneman; 03-31-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,813 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketw19 View Post

RR tracks are made under much stricter regs than an anvil. they are made so thousands of tons of train can pass over them hundreds of thousands of times without fatigue. actually one of the best steels for an anvil you can get, just they only come in RR track size.

I have a project I will post up in a bit. I started it years ago and the blade is done but I still have not put the handle on. it is a full tang skinner for white tail. 440 HC steel which I bought. I cannot take credit for making it although I did work the angle of the blade and the polish job.

--Thomas Jefferson

if ignorance is bliss than i am very blessed.

Tact is for people who are not witty enough to use sarcasm.

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
Plato
Old 04-01-2017, 02:06 PM

acneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond reputeacneman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
RR tracks are made under much stricter regs than an anvil. they are made so thousands of tons of train can pass over them hundreds of thousands of times without fatigue. actually one of the best steels for an anvil you can get, just they only come in RR track size.

I have a project I will post up in a bit. I started it years ago and the blade is done but I still have not put the handle on. it is a full tang skinner for white tail. 440 HC steel which I bought. I cannot take credit for making it although I did work the angle of the blade and the polish job.
i think he was talkin about the blade steel. the RR track def works as an anvil. i have my new harbor freight anvil and my dads used one. i might walk the rails lookin for a piece to make a treadle hammer in the future.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Viking Viking Is Off Line
Veteran

Viking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond reputeViking has a reputation beyond repute
Heres the thing about going to a salvage yard, you need to know your metals. I like to cruise craigslist or local facebook groups for old leaf springs. The leaf springs need to be older because of the carbon content. There are ways to test the steel once you got it like heat treating a small end of it and hitting it with a hammer. If it breaks, your good to go. I saw it done once but cant find the video. OR

Edit: forgot no outside links. On anvilfire dot com there is an article talking about junkyard metals.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Heres the thing about going to a salvage yard, you need to know your metals. I like to cruise craigslist or local facebook groups for old leaf springs. The leaf springs need to be older because of the carbon content. There are ways to test the steel once you got it like heat treating a small end of it and hitting it with a hammer. If it breaks, your good to go. I saw it done once but cant find the video. OR

Edit: forgot no outside links. On anvilfire dot com there is an article talking about junkyard metals.
i think links like that are ok but yeah, and the spark test, been reading on that. anyway, i dont know, buying blade steel that is already the thickness you need leads to cutting and grinding a blade all the time. that iss what im planning on for the first knife but later i want to be beating the hell out of salvaged steel.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: