World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Survivalist Prepper Area > Firearms and other weapons

Shoutbox

Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 PM
Community Veteran

blm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond repute
Iron sight (silhouette) aiming point

So it's been years since I've used iron sights. I was trying to recall my army basic rifle marksmanship for up to 300 meters. I think we zeroed at 25m. For silhouettes; aim slightly below center mass up to 50m, center mass at 100m, then as you increase distance, you gradually raise your front aperture until your at the head at 300m.

Is my recollection even remotely close? It's been 25 years. Lol
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL

Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Genetic Freak Genetic Freak Is Off Line

Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,980 Posts
Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
I never understood why the Army does a 25 meter zero for 300 meters. The ballistics do not make any sense. The basic idea of having a 300 meter is so there is no need to offset aim. Just aim center mass and you should be good from 1-300 metes on a man sized target. However, with a 25 meter zero the trajectory of the round will be more than 9 inches higher than the muzzle at 200 meters. While this may not seem like a lot, as 9 inches still places you on target with a perfect shot, but it does not take in margin of error. Military standard for the M16A4 or M4 is <3 MOA and green tip 5.56 is near 2 MOA. It starts to add up quickly. A 30 meter zero cuts the height of trajectory at 200 meters in half to 4 inches.

To answer your question a 25 meter zero places the round 3 inches high at 50 meters and 5 inches high at 100 meters.
blm (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Community Veteran

blm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond reputeblm has a reputation beyond repute
I appear to have remembered it ass backwards. lol

What would you recommend for a good zero range for BUIS?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM

Genetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond reputeGenetic Freak has a reputation beyond repute
It really depends on what you want to do with the weapon. If this is primarily used as a defense weapon the 25/30/100 meter zeroes all work. I like the 100 meter zero, as it shoots the flattest from 1-200 meters. The round is 3 inches low out of the muzzle and 3 inches low at 200 meters. However, if you are shooting long range the 100 meter zero is out and I would go with the 30 meter zero. If you are using a 16 inch barrel and shooting NATO 5.56 the rear windage knob is designed for the 30 meter zero. Set the 8/3 knob for your 30/300 meter zero then only adjust the front site post for elevation. Once you are on then you are set for your 400, 500, 600, 700 and 800 +/- a click. 200 is just 8/3 -2.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:32 AM

Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,593 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Why zero iron sights at 300 meters at all. too far to be accurate without optics right?

I do not know if I am right but on all my rifles I do a really amateur job of zeroing at 50 yards. anything further and I cannot see. Closer than that and it is negligible. Even my optics i zero at 100 yards. Again, I cannot see real well and I am not a great shot.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
Why zero iron sights at 300 meters at all. too far to be accurate without optics right?

I do not know if I am right but on all my rifles I do a really amateur job of zeroing at 50 yards. anything further and I cannot see. Closer than that and it is negligible. Even my optics i zero at 100 yards. Again, I cannot see real well and I am not a great shot.
In matches we are required to shoot at the 12 inch able target at 500 yards with iron sights. It looks like a little dot at 500, your front sight post is twice as wide as the target in your sight picture. I consistently hit 8/10. Every once in a while I will hit 10/10 when the wind is calm. If I can see the target most of the time I can hit it with iron sights if know the ballistics of the rifle and round. One of my mentors was an absolute dead eye with the service rifle. Like Clint Eastwood on Heartbreak Ridge he would walk up and down the line at the range and straight embarrass shooters. When a guy said his weapon was the reason for poor shooting he would take it and fire it from the off hand (standing position) and still hit from 500 yards out. He might not do it on the first round due to different zeroes, but I don't think I ever seen him have to shoot more than twice to be on black.

I am not nearly as accurate with ACOG. Mostly due to the fact we offset aim instead of making windage adjustments on our rear sights. The target face is 6 feet wide. When the wind blows 15-20 mph I have to aim in between my target and the target next to me. A 15-20 mph side wind pushes a 5.56 round more than 3 feet at 500 yards.

If most of your shots are around 50 yards then zero for 50 yards. All of my optics are zeroed to the specs of the optic. They all have BDC reticles, so if it tells me to zero at 100 then I zero at 100. I have some that say to zero at 200 and 300.
blm (05-30-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 07:53 AM
Community Veteran

Swellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond reputeSwellin has a reputation beyond repute
Jipped, this guy put a new barrel on my Lapua...he is insane with iron sights. I think he has won the national long range iron sight competition 9 times. If you can run them, they work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whidden 2-1.jpg (74.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 AM

Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,593 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
nice fellas, thanks. I am self aware in my capabilities and I will keep my shots under 100 yards. I can shoot further and have with a deer rifle but my uncle could cut the center out of a target at 200 years with a 30.06 and a cheap 1980s vintage scope. I could hit a tire size target most of the time HAHA.

I think I try to shoot a rifle like I shoot a pistol. When the pistol is on target I fire and not a moment after. It is about time to taget. the faster guy wins. Not really so unless it is two snipers after one another.

this is all hypothesis as I am no gunfighter and do not claim to even be good. Medicore at best i would say.

On the flip side, within 25-30 yards with an AR I am pretty decent. Again, not like a guy with 100s of hours of training. I have had 10s of hours of training HAHA. Better than none.

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Old 05-31-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swellin View Post
Jipped, this guy put a new barrel on my Lapua...he is insane with iron sights. I think he has won the national long range iron sight competition 9 times. If you can run them, they work.
All 10's with 5 V's. Impressive!