World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

BulkSupplements Egg Whites International A1Supplements.com i-Supplements Strength.com VitaSprings Myprotein Beyondsupplements
Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Diet and Nutrition > Nutrition

Nutrition Ask questions and discuss any nutrition related topics here. Making nutrition education more meaningful through facilitated group discussions

Old 08-29-2020, 08:40 AM

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,543 Posts
jipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond reputejipped genes has a reputation beyond repute
Folate and folic acid

I bolded the "cliff notes" that I wrote. If you want more, scroll to the copy and paste. I also linked the article and of course you can do your own due diligence in research.

So I am always reading about stuff to help me maintain my higher intensity of training. As I get older, it takes 2x as much work to get 1/2 the results. So sometimes I push harder which has led to chronic inflammation. This is what I was looking into when I ran across this article.
It also protects against Alzheimer's, lowers triglycerides, helps prevent type 2 diabetes and can help with depression.

Folate reduces the pro inflammatory amino acid called homocysteine. This is formed, in our cases when the intensity of our training is high. Folate reduces homocysteine so your body will have less oxidative stress post workout. Also those of us who imbibe in alcohol many times have lower levels of folate and higher inflammatory responses.

OK for you guys who know, high levels of folic acid (the most common supplement form folic acid which is a synthetic form of B9 /folate. ) are NOT good for you. So consuming folate rich foods are best. But when you cannot, folic acid is better than nothing. A moderate dose of 400 mcg eod is what I take and I must say, I do feel better after a month of taking it. I have not been lazy and hitting the gym or training at my camp 6 days a week. BUT WAIT!

After buying 3 bottles of folic acid I found a bioavailable form of folate which is more expensive (still pretty cheap) that does not have the probs of folic acid.

So, if you get some make sure it is the 5-methyltetrahydrofolate or 5-MTHF form of folate.

Article of benefits:

Folate reduces the Prevents against heart disease
Folate pairs up with vitamin B12 as a coenzyme to aid the metabolism of certain amino acids—homocysteine and methonine. Without enough folic acid in the body, homocysteine levels can increase and impact cardiovascular disease. Studies have supported the use of folic acid supplements for lowering homocysteine levels, however this does not fully prove that folic acid supplements will decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
A 2005 study at the University of California at Irvine found that adequate amounts of folic acid may help ward off Alzheimer’s disease. The study looked at 579 men and women (ages 60 and up) and found those who regularly consumed the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid through foods and supplements cut their risk of developing Alzheimer’s by more than 50 percent. Other studies support these findings and suggest that folic acid plays a key role in preventing the general memory loss that tends to come with old age.

Helps prevent type-2 diabetes
Folic acid may increase the breakdown of triglycerides—the chemical form in which fat exists in the blood—and therefore may have a role in the prevention of obesity and type-2 diabetes. A 2008 study by the European Journal of Endocrinology looked at four groups of women (from different geographic locations) and found those with a BMI of 30 and above had low levels of folic acid.

Helps treat depression
Folic acid deficiency has been found among people with depression and has been linked as a possible cause for poor response to antidepressant treatment. So, of course, folate supplements have been used for enhancing treatment response to antidepressants. More research is needed and folic acid is not a replacement for conventional antidepressant therapy.

Prevents against heart disease
Folate pairs up with vitamin B12 as a coenzyme to aid the metabolism of certain amino acids—homocysteine and methonine. Without enough folic acid in the body, homocysteine levels can increase and impact cardiovascular disease. Studies have supported the use of folic acid supplements for lowering homocysteine levels, however this does not fully prove that folic acid supplements will decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
A 2005 study at the University of California at Irvine found that adequate amounts of folic acid may help ward off Alzheimer’s disease. The study looked at 579 men and women (ages 60 and up) and found those who regularly consumed the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of 400 micrograms (mcg) of folic acid through foods and supplements cut their risk of developing Alzheimer’s by more than 50 percent. Other studies support these findings and suggest that folic acid plays a key role in preventing the general memory loss that tends to come with old age.

Helps prevent type-2 diabetes
Folic acid may increase the breakdown of triglycerides—the chemical form in which fat exists in the blood—and therefore may have a role in the prevention of obesity and type-2 diabetes. A 2008 study by the European Journal of Endocrinology looked at four groups of women (from different geographic locations) and found those with a BMI of 30 and above had low levels of folic acid.

Helps treat depression
Folic acid deficiency has been found among people with depression and has been linked as a possible cause for poor response to antidepressant treatment. So, of course, folate supplements have been used for enhancing treatment response to antidepressants. More research is needed and folic acid is not a replacement for conventional antidepressant therapy.

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/folic-acid/

Vandoo "Yes, I lift faster."
Get your liquid egg whites here at EGG WHITES INTERNATIONAL