World Class Bodybuilding   Forum

Join worldclassbodybuilding

Join the #1 Bodybuilding Fitness Forum Today - It's Free!

Welcome to Bodybuilding Discussion Forums - Are you interested in Bodybuilding or Fitness? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for Fitness minded people to meet online. Just fellow bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts who enjoy talking about their lifestyle, their routines, and just everyday banter. We have Articles, knowledgable members, Questions and Answers that you might not find anywhere else, Steroid and Supplemnent Profiles, Routines, a Supplement Store and a lot more So no matter what your fitness background is, beit new to the fitness world or Professional athlete, you'll find that worldclassbodybuilding .com is a great community to join. Best of all it's free!

Join Worldclassbodybuilding - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Go Back   World Class Bodybuilding Forum > Bodybuilding Fitness Training > Bodybuilding Discussion forum > Bodybuilding Articles

WCBB Weekend Shoutbox

Old 07-12-2010, 05:33 AM
strongarm strongarm Is Off Line

Thanked 27,168 Times in 12,423 Posts
strongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant futurestrongarm has a brilliant future
How Many Times a Week Should You Go to the Gym?

How Many Times a Week Should You Go to the Gym?

I've always been a fan of the gym. I see it as a place where I can go and unwind after a hard days work, or just buy up a little time when I'm bored with nothing else to do. I like the fact that it keeps me fit and healthy (I've never been too into sport) and I can go whenever I please.

A lot of my friends however go to the gym a lot more regularly then me, going at least three to four times per week. While I go on average twice a week, after a discussion with a friend recently I can see the benefit of going more often. His argument was this:

The more often you go to the gym, the more accustomed to it your body will become. While it sounds like working out that often would make you too tired for everyday life, it actually does the opposite. Once you're used to the intense work outs, everything else seems a lot easier. You breeze through life with minimal physical effort, as you never come up against anything equal to that which you encounter in the gym. But that gym work out becomes standard to you, so even that isn't effort any more.

While I agree with his theory and believe that could be the case, I'm still not sure I'll be using the gym more often. While I like the sound of "breezing through life", I also like the idea of using the gym when I want to, rather then on a schedule. I'm also not sure if I'd have the time to go as many as four times a week.

So how often should you be using the gym? Well I'd say it's down to your personal preference, but if you want to "breeze through life with minimum effort" then you're looking at three to four times a week.

By Jason Shane
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
forsberg21 forsberg21 Is Off Line
Community Veteran

forsberg21 has a spectacular aura aboutforsberg21 has a spectacular aura aboutforsberg21 has a spectacular aura about
The only thing I don't agree with
Quote:
if you want to "breeze through life with minimum effort" then you're looking at three to four times a week.
I think 3-4x a week is just perfect while keeping active the other couple off days.
At least it's worked for me for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM
DOUBLE J DOUBLE J Is Off Line
WhoDat

DOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant futureDOUBLE J has a brilliant future
Normally I do a three day split, until that is my left shoulder starts hurting me(old injury). Then I go to a 4 day split to divide the work on my shoulders.

so 3 to 4 days

Now that I am fat, I probably need to go every day in order to do cardio on my off days, but I would run the risk of getting burned out if I do.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM
millenium girl millenium girl Is Off Line

Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,585 Posts
millenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond reputemillenium girl has a reputation beyond repute
When I started working out, I had a home gym and lifted 7 days a week which of course was far too much. I was overtrained in no time.

When I joined a gym, I lifted 5 days a week because my work schedule wasn't as hectic as it is now.

I recently switched to a 3-day split (sometimes I add a 4th day for a bodyweight workout), I'm not getting any younger and my body needs more time to recover between two sessions.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:25 AM
stumpy stumpy Is Off Line
Community Veteran

stumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to beholdstumpy is a splendid one to behold
I suppoes it all depends on your goals, I go 4 times a week. 2 Days on 1 day off, 2 days on 2 days off. IMO for what I want to achieve this is the best split for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Dread Dread Is Off Line
Worldclassbodybuilder

Dread is on a distinguished road
I'm in the gym 6 days a week if my body is up to it... If I'm sore or need a day or 2 for recovery then I will take a break...

But for me, the gym is a type of therapy and I always feel better mentally after a good workout...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
G3Cube G3Cube Is Off Line
Empty Headed Animal Food Trough Wiper

G3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really niceG3Cube is just really nice
I am surprised you guys make any gains at all going three or four times a week. Do you have super-human recovery abilities, or is your workout intensity a little light?

As some of you know, I work out every four days. That works out to once or twice a week. I work each set (other than warm up sets) to failure, so my intensity is high.

For me, once to twice a week is enough. Anymore and I wouldn't recover properly. My weights and poundages are still going up, so I must be doing something right.

{Yesterday I did legs. In and out of the gym in 20 minutes. After two sets of warm up leg presses, I did one set of leg extensions to failure (16 to 20 reps), one set of leg presses to failure (16-20 reps) and one set of calf presses to failure (16-20 reps). Today my quads, glutes and calves are sore. I'll need three days to recover! (I do legs every second workout, incidentally.)}
Old 07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
BALLZ BALLZ Is Off Line
Community Veteran

BALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to behold
too many factors to consider to say specifically what the best protocol is for everybody. Sleep, eating, age, volume, intensity, goals,stress all play a factor and there's probably a lot more. some people can't tolerate more than 3 days... others can go go 5-6 days and with some days being two-a-days. right now... I'm having a hard time recovering from 3 days a week. my sleep and eating and stress are all messed up right now though. When I'm good, I can go 5-6 days really intense.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:38 PM

ozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond reputeozzy69 has a reputation beyond repute
i do a 3 on 2 off 4 on 2 off sorta thing thats what works for me to make my body grow
Old 07-12-2010, 10:43 PM
BALLZ BALLZ Is Off Line
Community Veteran

BALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to beholdBALLZ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3Cube View Post
I am surprised you guys make any gains at all going three or four times a week. Do you have super-human recovery abilities, or is your workout intensity a little light?

As some of you know, I work out every four days. That works out to once or twice a week. I work each set (other than warm up sets) to failure, so my intensity is high.

For me, once to twice a week is enough. Anymore and I wouldn't recover properly. My weights and poundages are still going up, so I must be doing something right.

{Yesterday I did legs. In and out of the gym in 20 minutes. After two sets of warm up leg presses, I did one set of leg extensions to failure (16 to 20 reps), one set of leg presses to failure (16-20 reps) and one set of calf presses to failure (16-20 reps). Today my quads, glutes and calves are sore. I'll need three days to recover! (I do legs every second workout, incidentally.)}
or you could look at it backwards... maybe you're individual workouts might be too much and it's taking you longer to recover. Maybe your other factors aren't allowing you to go more frequently. All the world's best bodies train with a lot more frequency... if yours is in that category or in the category of the world's strongest men - all by the way train really intense... there might be a chance that you could tweak some things to improve your numbers even more. Just a thought... not trying to be argumentative... just trying to provoke thought. Or maybe you have indeed found out how your body responds best which is quite different than most.